How do you handle your EFB in the cockpit?

Old November 9th 03, 08:47 PM
greg

Default How do you handle your EFB in the cockpit?

I'd like to know how most people handle using their tablet PC based
EFBs in the cockpit.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount or hold my Fujitsu LT
C-500 tablet for viewing approach plates using JeppView Flightdeck
(Cessna 182). I currently have the tablet and all the necessary RAM
mounting hardware to mount it off the yoke. However the combined
weight of the whole package is about 4 1/2 lbs. 4 1/2 lbs on the yoke
isn't a good idea is it? Removing the battery and just running off the
DC adapter brings it down to 4 lbs- still heavy & no power backup.

Has anyone had success just strapping one of these PCs to your knee?
Seems like the viewing angle would become a problem..?

Also I'm a rental pilot so a portable installation is my goal.

Any thoughts at all on the matter would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg Gladstone
Old November 10th 03, 03:58 AM
Timothy Oneal

Mine is accessible in my kneeboard.... I am usually to busy flying the
plane to mess with that thing but I like to have it with me. CDI centered
and DME should do the trick.
om...

Old November 12th 03, 12:31 AM
Justin Maas

Stan,

I couldn't agree more. The company I flew for over the summer (Falcon
900s, CV, C208B, Sikorsky) was test-driving these $5,000+ units, and we
weren't impressed. If it were panel-integrated with accurate position
layover like some of the new Honeywell and Rockwell Collins stuff, it would
be useful. However, we just saw them as a really heavy piece of paper. I
think there's definitely a utility curve with some of this new stuff.

That being said, I'm sure it's nice to have in rental GA aircraft, as most
don't have neat gizmos to fool around with

--
Justin

Old November 12th 03, 01:45 AM
Jon Carlson

I've just been putting mine on my lap. Seems acceptable, though not
ideal. But it's sure easy to try it and see if it works for you, and
if it does you've not made a big effort or expenditure on hardware you
don't need. Oh, and when I'm not using it (I mostly only display
JeppView approach plates on it for now), I just set it on the floor
between the cockpit seats. There is space for this in my airplane,
it's a little dependent on what you fly.

-Jon C.

om...

Old November 17th 03, 04:47 AM
ilsub

The Palm is more than adequate, and can be made to hold approach
plates. If your eyesight isn't very good, that could be a problem, but the
newer high-resolution devices make it much easier. It works for me, YMMV.

How do you use approach plates on palm?
Do you need some special subscription and/or software?