NDB Bearing Intercepts & Rotatable Compass Card ADFs

Old October 11th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Gary Drescher

Default NDB Bearing Intercepts & Rotatable Compass Card ADFs

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
. ..
OBI and the ADF

Er, make that CDI.

Old October 11th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Bob Gardner

Thks is an idea I disagree with. The rotatable azimuth is there for a reason
and should be used. The problem comes when the instrument student tries to
adjust the bezel for every heading change. A better method is to estimate
how much heading change into the wind is necessary in order to offset wind
drift and set the bezel to that heading...maybe five to ten degrees away
from the published course...and then work at maintaining that estimated
heading until it is proven wrong by moving either further into the wind or
back toward the nose. Whatever. Change the bezel a couple of degrees in the
necessary direction and go back to work on maintaining the heading using the
DG. Shouldn't have to touch the rotatable azimuth more than a couple of
times during an approach, if you are any good at guessing crosswind
component.

Bob Gardner

Old October 12th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Bob Gardner wrote:
Thks is an idea I disagree with. The rotatable azimuth is there for a reason
and should be used. The problem comes when the instrument student tries to
adjust the bezel for every heading change. A better method is to estimate
how much heading change into the wind is necessary in order to offset wind
drift and set the bezel to that heading...maybe five to ten degrees away
from the published course...and then work at maintaining that estimated
heading until it is proven wrong by moving either further into the wind or
back toward the nose. Whatever. Change the bezel a couple of degrees in the
necessary direction and go back to work on maintaining the heading using the
DG. Shouldn't have to touch the rotatable azimuth more than a couple of
times during an approach, if you are any good at guessing crosswind
component.

Better yet, relegate ADF to the museum of 20th Century aviation
artifacts. ;-)
Old October 12th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Even better, get an RMI either mechanical or electronic.

"Sam Spade" wrote in message
| Bob Gardner wrote:
| Thks is an idea I disagree with. The rotatable azimuth
is there for a reason
| and should be used. The problem comes when the
instrument student tries to
| adjust the bezel for every heading change. A better
method is to estimate
| how much heading change into the wind is necessary in
order to offset wind
| drift and set the bezel to that heading...maybe five to
ten degrees away
| from the published course...and then work at maintaining
that estimated
| heading until it is proven wrong by moving either
further into the wind or
| back toward the nose. Whatever. Change the bezel a
couple of degrees in the
| necessary direction and go back to work on maintaining
the heading using the
| DG. Shouldn't have to touch the rotatable azimuth more
than a couple of
| times during an approach, if you are any good at
guessing crosswind
| component.
|
| Better yet, relegate ADF to the museum of 20th Century
aviation
| artifacts. ;-)

For Sale Dittel Radio, Vertical Compass Card [email protected] Soaring 0 May 4th 06 10:23 PM
Vertical Card Compass Mystery Rosspilot Owning 3 November 3rd 04 07:01 PM
Graphics Jim Chambers Simulators 14 April 22nd 04 03:29 AM
Strange compass behavior me Owning 10 February 14th 04 05:24 AM