Depression after Washing

Old June 28th 08, 11:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Default Depression after Washing

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

gatt writes:

Thanks for clearing that up for all the pilots and aircraft owners,
Anthony. I'm sure without your experience it would never occur to
them.

It certainly would never occur to some of them, given the exceptions
of which I've become aware.

You're not aware of anything outside your own colon.

Bertie
Old June 28th 08, 01:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
john smith

Strip the paint off and fly with polished aluminum.
You will gain about 100 pounds of useful load and be able to tell at a
glance the condition of the aircraft.
Keep it polished and you will be amazed at how much better it performs
without all the surface imperfection drag.
Old June 28th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 06:06:58 -0700 (PDT), Gene Seibel
wrote:

On Jun 26, 5:22*pm, Charles Talleyrand wrote:
My kid and I just washed the plane. *Even after washing it, there are
still chips of paint missing, a bit of rust, a drip-stain of fuel, and
so on. *The panel looks like it has been modified every once in a
while since 1966. *My plane is relatively nice compared to the other
ones on the field, but it's still in worse cosmetic condition than my
car.

None of these problems is a safety issue, and none of them could be
fixed without spending significant time and/or money.

One of the reasons we own airplanes is pride of ownership.

This makes me sad. *Makes me want to sell and rent.

Our '66 is cosmetically challenged. Sometimes it depresses me for a
moment or two, but the second we start that takeoff run, nothing but
flying is on my mind. My money is going into hours in the air. That's
why I bought it. I notice that most of the people who have commented
about the condition, age, or speed of my airplanes don't even have one
and fly far less than I do or not at all.

an old pilot's aphorism: The air has no eyes!

the bloody stuff also has no respect :-)

Stealth Pilot
Old June 28th 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Darrel Toepfer

Charles Talleyrand wrote:

At least this one has very few non-cosmetic squawks (dang nose wheel
shimmy).

Add shims, make sure the fork/hinge doesn't have cracks, make sure the
tire doesn't have excessive wear or a bump on it, is the strut leaking
oil too? If so replace the seals, usually the damper shock isn't the
fault, but it could be weak too...
Old June 30th 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Strip the paint off and fly with polished aluminum.
You will gain about 100 pounds of useful load and be able to tell at a
glance the condition of the aircraft.
Keep it polished and you will be amazed at how much better it performs
without all the surface imperfection drag.

Of course, you will have absolutely *zero* time to fly....but, dang, it'll
sure look cool!

We almost bought a bare aluminum Ercoupe. I'm really, REALLY glad we
didn't. I waste too much time already polishing Atlas' prop and spinner.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 30th 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
john smith

In article 6RV9k.231534$yE1.53416@attbi_s21,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Strip the paint off and fly with polished aluminum.
You will gain about 100 pounds of useful load and be able to tell at a
glance the condition of the aircraft.
Keep it polished and you will be amazed at how much better it performs
without all the surface imperfection drag.

Of course, you will have absolutely *zero* time to fly....but, dang, it'll
sure look cool!
We almost bought a bare aluminum Ercoupe. I'm really, REALLY glad we
didn't. I waste too much time already polishing Atlas' prop and spinner.

It really isn't as bad as you make it out to be.
You polish on rainy spring days, before the real flying season begins
and let it go the rest of the year. Maybe touch it up in August on days
when it is too hot to fly.
Old June 30th 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

Strip the paint off and fly with polished aluminum.
You will gain about 100 pounds of useful load and be able to tell at
a glance the condition of the aircraft.
Keep it polished and you will be amazed at how much better it
performs without all the surface imperfection drag.

Of course, you will have absolutely *zero* time to fly....but, dang,
it'll sure look cool!

We almost bought a bare aluminum Ercoupe. I'm really, REALLY glad we
didn't.

So is the airplane, I'm sure.

Bertie
Old July 3rd 08, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Larry Dighera writes:

Why?

They might total the airplane that you share. They might not maintain it
properly. They might damage it without telling anyone. There are many
possibilities.

Totaling the aircraft is a non-issue. That's what insurance is for. Damage
is a non-issue. That's what the pre-flight is for.

It requires that they be responsible adults, preferably business
people who can afford to own 1/3 of an aircraft.

Many adults aren't that responsible. Pilots get themselves killed often
enough; why would they be any more cautious for someone else's sake?

I've been in a couple of shared ownership situations and have had no
problems. The biggest concern is actually a deadbeat partner that doesn't
cover their share of the recurring fixed costs. That's why a good up-front
agreement with collection abilities is a must.

My first partnership had 7 other owners. I was putting almost half the
yearly hours on the plane. Basically I was doing the flying and others were
paying the bills. It was a beautiful arrangement.

Old July 3rd 08, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Mxsmanic

Mike writes:

Totaling the aircraft is a non-issue. That's what insurance is for. Damage
is a non-issue. That's what the pre-flight is for.

The greater the number of aircraft totaled, the higher the insurance premiums,
so it's not quite a non-issue.

And you can miss things during a pre-flight inspection.

My first partnership had 7 other owners. I was putting almost half the
yearly hours on the plane. Basically I was doing the flying and others were
paying the bills. It was a beautiful arrangement.

Sounds nice. Why didn't the other owners use the plane much?
Old July 3rd 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Mike writes:

Totaling the aircraft is a non-issue. That's what insurance is for.
Damage is a non-issue. That's what the pre-flight is for.

The greater the number of aircraft totaled, the higher the insurance
premiums, so it's not quite a non-issue.

And you can miss things during a pre-flight inspection.

My first partnership had 7 other owners. I was putting almost half
the yearly hours on the plane. Basically I was doing the flying and
others were paying the bills. It was a beautiful arrangement.

Sounds nice. Why didn't the other owners use the plane much?

Probalby couldn't fly./

Like you.

Bertie