engine shop pireps wanted

Old June 5th 05, 02:52 PM
Stephen N Mills

Default engine shop pireps wanted

Vicky, our '75 Cardinal RG, is sick. We changed the oil and got a
report of iron in the oil analysis (from Blackstone) and iron
particles in the filter (from Second OilPinion). Hmmm... 26 tach hours
later, same thing. Pulled a cylinder: yep, cam spalling. (Assume
wailing, rending of garments, gnashing of teeth here)

The engine is a Lycoming IO-360-A1B6D, 750 hours since first major in
Aug 2001

Other factors: 9000 hours on the airframe. Fresh paint, poor (not
'bad') interior. Decent IFR avionics: GX60, KX155 w/ GS, GTX327,
JPI-700, no autopilot. 750 (+?) hours on the dry vacuum pump; this
will be replaced at this time. Also will be replacing with the
lightweight starter.

Human factors: myself and two partners; one of whom is inactive and
has been looking to sell out. We fly about 200 hours a year. With a
new partner, we expect to increase that.

a cam replacement. I am concerned about possible other damage to the
engine from those iron particles riding around in the oil. But our
inactive partner (I haven't talked to him yet) will probably want to
get out for minimum bucks. Active partner and I are looking at
long-term value. We plan on owning this plane for a long time.

Costs: Our A&P has recommended three engine shops: America's Aircraft
(OK), Airmark Engines (FL), and Graham Engines (GA). I have talked to
all three. Each advised cam replacement, not major overhaul. The price
seems to be about $2000 for our A&P to r&r the engine, ?? for
shipping, and $5000 to $6000 to the engine shop. Time frame of about 3
to 4 weeks at the shop. All of this assumes no additional problems
are found when they open it up.

Wither? While active partner and I would love to get a factory reman'd
non-D engine, that does not seem reasonable. And we don't even want to
think about the cost of that. And even doing a major would move our
current bill from about $8000 to $17000 or more.

Advice? Any advice about the path to take, and any pireps on the three
engine shops mentioned (or any others) will be most humbly and
gratefully received.

N2679V, 'Vicky' '75 RG @ PDK, Atlanta
Steve Mills, in major bummed-out mode

Old June 5th 05, 03:54 PM
A Lieberman

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 09:52:54 -0400, Stephen N Mills wrote:

Wither? While active partner and I would love to get a factory reman'd
non-D engine, that does not seem reasonable. And we don't even want to
think about the cost of that. And even doing a major would move our
current bill from about $8000 to $17000 or more.

I used Airmark Engines, and as far as I can tell, they did an outstanding
job on the overhaul of my AK4 360 Lycoming engine.

The only thing I have done since overhaul is oil changes.

For me, I'd go the whole shabang from my positive experiences. If you
already trust your A$P, why would you want a second opinion?

After the overhaul, at least you know who has been "behind" the engine, and
you can break it in the way you want to. Also, for me, the overhaul price
was pretty much a "fixed price". I paid 13,100 for the overhaul. I had my
annual done at the same time, and the total came to 15K.

It took 5 weeks from teardown to wheels leaving the ground for me.

I was told, other then getting a 0 time engine log book for a factory
remand engine, overhaul is the way to go.

Allen
Old June 5th 05, 11:09 PM
Jay Honeck

The engine is a Lycoming IO-360-A1B6D, 750 hours since first major in
Aug 2001

Am I the only one here that finds that appalling? An IO-360 is generally
considered to be one of the most bullet-proof engines ever built -- what the
heck caused the cam to spall so quickly? With over 15 hours per month of
usage, it's not like the engine sat unused for very long -- so you should
have had plenty of lubrication on those lobes.

Who overhauled it *last* time?

Personally, with such low time on everything else (assuming all new
cylinders, etc., in 2001), I'd have my A&P put in a new camshaft and fly it
another 1000 hours or so.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 6th 05, 12:56 AM
Dave S

A Lieberman wrote:

For me, I'd go the whole shabang from my positive experiences. If you
already trust your A$P, why would you want a second opinion?

Because it's a good practice. Ever hear of "Trust, but verify"?

Dave

Old June 6th 05, 01:04 AM
Jon Kraus

Ronald Reagan said that about the Russian's right?

Anyway if it were my engine I'd probably jsut put a new cam in it and
fly it for 5 more years or so. Just me .02 YMMV

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201

Old June 6th 05, 03:51 AM
George Patterson

Stephen N Mills wrote:

Costs: Our A&P has recommended three engine shops: America's Aircraft
(OK), Airmark Engines (FL), and Graham Engines (GA). I have talked to
all three. Each advised cam replacement, not major overhaul.

I would pay attention to them. I think your A&P is going a bit overboard.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old June 6th 05, 04:03 AM
Doug

What is the condition of the rest of the engine? What are the
compressions? (Consider giving it an automotive style compression test
also, those sometimes reveal things a static one won't). End play on
the crank? Oil usage? Oil seepage out the ends of the engine? Does the
cockpit smell oily when the heater is on? Scope the cylinders. Valve
wear?

No one really KNOWS what the future of your engine may be. It is a pity
the previous rebuild did this. Perhaps they did not replace the cam?
What else didn't they replace? (the bearings?). If all they did was
top it, you did ok. But if all they did was top it, perhaps you should
go for a full rebuild now. The bottom line is: HOW MUCH MONEY DO YOU
HAVE? Do the best you can afford.

Old June 6th 05, 04:24 AM

On 5-Jun-2005, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

Am I the only one here that finds that appalling? An IO-360 is generally

considered to be one of the most bullet-proof engines ever built -- what
the heck caused the cam to spall so quickly? With over 15 hours per
month of
usage, it's not like the engine sat unused for very long -- so you should
have had plenty of lubrication on those lobes.

Who overhauled it *last* time?

Personally, with such low time on everything else (assuming all new
cylinders, etc., in 2001), I'd have my A&P put in a new camshaft and fly
it another 1000 hours or so.

I agree with Jay. The IO-360 in our Arrow went to around 2100 hours without
any signifiant repairs. Even then, we put in a new (factory rebuilt) engine
more on general principles than any indication of a problem. The last oil
analysis on the old engine was completely benign. What's more, we didn't
even use multi-vis anti-scuff oil or additives -- just plain old Aeroshell
SAE 50. During the life of the engine the plane flew an average of only
about 175 hours/year.

If your cam went bad that soon after overhaul, I'm wondering if it was
replaced, or at least refurbished, at that time. Remember, to be acceptable
for use in an overhaul a part needs to meet only "service limits". An owner
can demand better, but the cost of the overhaul rises accordingly.

--
-Elliott Drucker
Old June 6th 05, 01:36 PM
Denny

Steve, the reality is that the inactive partner will refuse to spring
the extra bucks for a reman engine... So, you and active partner will
have to pay the difference... Based on your posting I suspect that is
not in the works... You will, in the end, decide on replacing the cam
and lifters and taking a chance on the engine making TBO.... No FBO
would OH at 750 hours - he would IRAN and put it back in service...

So, quit gnashing teeth - consider you and active partner pulling the
engine in the hangar, boxing it, and shipping to the engine shop for
IRAN... On return you two move the plane to the A&P shop, help him
with the install and get his sign off on the logs... Easy money for
him, less expense for you, and both of you get some great experience...
win-win...

denny

Old June 6th 05, 02:20 PM
Rich

OK,
Here's another point to consider.
About 4 years ago I had a couple of bad cylinders on a Continental
IO520. All in all I decided to "fix it up and get a couple of more
years out of it". Good economy, right?

Turned out that the cost of overhauls for that engine have climbed
$8,600 since that time! (Using a Superior quote as a benchmark...
$18,900 up to $27,500).

Getting "a few more years out of it" turned out to be VERY false economy.

All other factors aside, give some consideration to the economy of
overhauling it NOW to avoid price increases. The costs of metals and
metal parts have been rising astronomically in recent years!

Rich

Diesel engine Bryan Home Built 41 May 1st 04 07:23 PM
My Engine Fire!! [email protected] Owning 1 March 31st 04 01:41 PM
Engine... Overhaul? / Replace? advice please text news Owning 11 February 17th 04 04:44 PM
Real stats on engine failures? Captain Wubba Piloting 127 December 8th 03 04:09 PM
Corky's engine choice Corky Scott Home Built 39 August 8th 03 04:29 AM