Anti-Ice on Combat Aircraft

Old December 14th 03, 05:43 AM
Charles Talleyrand

Default Anti-Ice on Combat Aircraft

We have an A-4 and a B-52 on the airport here. Neither seems to have
an anti-ice system as far as I can see (of course the B-52's wing is rather
above my head, and currently covered in snow).

Do Air Force/Navy planes have de-ice equipment? What happens
when the radar dome gets coated in ice while flying through cold clouds?

-Thanks

Old December 14th 03, 04:20 PM
John Pelchat

"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message ...
We have an A-4 and a B-52 on the airport here. Neither seems to have
an anti-ice system as far as I can see (of course the B-52's wing is rather
above my head, and currently covered in snow).

Do Air Force/Navy planes have de-ice equipment? What happens
when the radar dome gets coated in ice while flying through cold clouds?

-Thanks

Charles,

I am not sure about the specifics for the B-52 or the A-4, but many
jets use hot bleed air ducted from the engine(s) to warm the leading
edge and thus prevent/remove ice building on up wings and other
aero-surfaces. Pneumatic boots common on (piston and jet) prop
aircraft have problems at higher jet speeds (probably related to drag
and durability). Maybe a few scooter, buff, and blow-torch drivers
will elighten us all.

Best to all

John Pelchat
Old December 14th 03, 08:02 PM
John R Weiss

"Charles Talleyrand" wrote...
We have an A-4 and a B-52 on the airport here. Neither seems to have
an anti-ice system as far as I can see (of course the B-52's wing is rather
above my head, and currently covered in snow).

Do Air Force/Navy planes have de-ice equipment? What happens
when the radar dome gets coated in ice while flying through cold clouds?

IIRC the A-4 had engine anti-ice and heated windscreen and pitot tube. No wing
anti-ice. Don't know about the B-52.

Engine anti-ice is necessary in more environmental conditions than is wing
anti-ice. WAI installations are also comparatively heavy and power-hungry.

FWIW, I turned on the WAI in the 747 for the second time in 5 years just the
other day -- more out of curiosity than need; we use nacelle anti-ice routinely.
We were picking up a bit on the descent into ANC, and wanted to see if it made
any difference. Found that the ice on the outboard leading edges melted
first...

Old December 14th 03, 10:08 PM
BUFDRVR

IIRC the A-4 had engine anti-ice and heated windscreen and pitot tube. No
wing
anti-ice. Don't know about the B-52.

The B-52 uses bleed air to prevent ice build up on the inlets, inlet guide
vanes, EPR inlet probes and, on the H model, the cowling. I'm not sure if you
can see anything visably though, most of it is internal.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old December 14th 03, 10:27 PM
Bob Liberty

Think the 135 was similar

ole nav
"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
IIRC the A-4 had engine anti-ice and heated windscreen and pitot tube.

No
wing
anti-ice. Don't know about the B-52.

The B-52 uses bleed air to prevent ice build up on the inlets, inlet guide
vanes, EPR inlet probes and, on the H model, the cowling. I'm not sure if

you
can see anything visably though, most of it is internal.

BUFDRVR

"Stay on the bomb run boys, I'm gonna get those bomb doors open if it

harelips
everyone on Bear Creek"

Old December 15th 03, 11:09 PM

"Bob Liberty" wrote:

Think the 135 was similar

ole nav
"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
IIRC the A-4 had engine anti-ice and heated windscreen and pitot tube.

No
wing
anti-ice. Don't know about the B-52.

The B-52 uses bleed air to prevent ice build up on the inlets, inlet guide
vanes, EPR inlet probes and, on the H model, the cowling. I'm not sure if

you
can see anything visably though, most of it is internal.

BUFDRVR

The Argus (ASW aircraft slightly bigger than a C-130) was used in
severe icing conditions (low level over the North Atlantic) and
was well equipped with anti-icing and deicing equipment. They had
huge gas fired heaters (600 BTU each) one for each wing and one
for the tail, plus a 300 BTU one for cabin heating. They also had
numerous anti-ice mats for cowlings and other air-scoops plus
electrical prop deicers and 'Nesa windscreens'. I've flown
through some horrendous icing conditions believe me. The
replacement aircraft for the Argus (P-3 Aurora/Orion) has great
wing anti-icers utilizing engine bleed air, very effective
indeed.

-Gord.

"I'm trying to get as old as I can,
and it must be working 'cause I'm
the oldest now that I've ever been"
Old December 16th 03, 01:10 AM
Ron

The Argus (ASW aircraft slightly bigger than a C-130) was used in
severe icing conditions (low level over the North Atlantic) and
was well equipped with anti-icing and deicing equipment. They had
huge gas fired heaters (600 BTU each) one for each wing and one
for the tail, plus a 300 BTU one for cabin heating. They also had
numerous anti-ice mats for cowlings and other air-scoops plus
electrical prop deicers and 'Nesa windscreens'. I've flown
through some horrendous icing conditions believe me. The
replacement aircraft for the Argus (P-3 Aurora/Orion) has great
wing anti-icers utilizing engine bleed air, very effective
indeed.

-Gord.

Low level severe icing, over the north atlantic in the winter, does not sound
like something for the faint of heart...

Ron
Pilot/Wildland Firefighter

Old December 16th 03, 03:32 AM
Dave Holford

Ron wrote:

[...]

It's interesting when large chunks fly off a prop blade.

Dave
Old December 16th 03, 05:40 AM
WaltBJ

The only fighter I ever flew with surface anti-ice was the F86D/L. The
only time I ever heard of anybody in the outfit using it he got
serious damage to electrical circuitry inside the wing from a break in
the ducting.
FWIW if the indicated airspeed is around 300 knots the ram temp rise
is high enough to prevent icing. Most jets I know of do have engine
anti-ice and heated windscreens.
Walt BJ