Right seat flying

Old May 3rd 04, 02:34 AM
running with scissors

"Brad Z" wrote in message news:OE6lc.9936$Ia6.1204345@attbi_s03...
See #1 again.

oops ! my bad.

"running with scissors" wrote in
message m...
"Brad Z" wrote in message

news:ZMUkc.7446$_41.391899@attbi_s02...
"running with scissors" wrote

in
message om...
As a question, why would you want to place a passenger in the left
seat? what purpose would it serve ?

A few that come to mind...

1) For aerial photography flights in aircraft with only left opening

windows
2) Returning to base with an inop PTT button on the left yoke
3) attaching a yoke mounted GPS so that it doesn't block the instruments
directly in front of you on the panel
4) Demo-ing an aircraft to a potential buyer (who may not even be rated

yet)

the poster stated it was in providing a sightseeing service and
placing a non flying passenger in the right seat.

Old May 3rd 04, 02:35 AM
running with scissors

From: Anthony Acri )
Subject: Right Seat Flying

Date: 2001-12-11 03:21:43 PST

Does anybody know if there is any regulations about flying from the

right

seat? Would like to flyi from the right seat while taking some

people up

for sightseeing. Have been flying from the right when I have been

doing my

instructors courses.

Thanks

As a question, why would you want to place a passenger in the left
seat? what purpose would it serve ?

You might be helping a student pilot work on some procedures in between
their lessons. I went back and re-read Amy's article and she did say
student pilot, however, I don't see why it matters whether the left seat
occupant is a student pilot or a non-pilot. I've never come across an
FAR that says I can't fly from the right seat, no matter who is in the
left seat or whether it is empty.

Matt

matt there was no mention of instruction. the poster stated it was
for a sightseeing flight and he was not a rated instructor.

I am the original poster in this thread and I made no mention of
sightseeing.

Matt

Old May 3rd 04, 02:35 AM
running with scissors

Bob Moore wrote in message .8...

(running with scissors) wrote

you may be able to find a loophole in the FAR's, renters policy or
insurance requirements to allow you to do this "legally", though even
posing the question indicates a complete failure to understand CRM and
lack of professionalism. if i found one of my pilots acting in this
manner he would never be in one of my cockpits again forthwith.

As if your posting name didn't say enough about you, your entire post
says that you are either very inexperienced or lacking in confidence
in yourself and other pilots. It's been years since I have flown from
the left seat of a general aviation aircraft. A few years back when I
was flying 12-13 year old "Young Eagles", I never sat in the left seat,
and as a matter-of-fact, very seldom touched the controls.

The CFI who did my last Flight Review was amused when I flew the entire
flight including the instrument portion from the right seat of a C-172.

Bob Moore

you are missing the whole point of the post. the original poster
stated that it was sightseeing flight and it was a passenger, zero
experience, who would be in the left seat and the poster was not a
rated instructor.

You've now made this incorrect assertion at least three times. You may
want to review the thread before making such bold statements.

Matt

quote

Old May 3rd 04, 02:36 AM
running with scissors

Bob Moore wrote in message .8...

[...]

Leaving aside the fact that the original poster made no such statement,
what do you suppose those Young Eagle flights were if not sightseeing?

quote

Old May 3rd 04, 02:39 AM
Brad Z

Check the date genius, that post was from 2001.

Old May 3rd 04, 04:18 AM
Dave S

There was no reference to the sightseeing flight being for profit. Hence
that is part 91. Hence the part 135 regulations do not apply.

Thank you for playing.
Dave

running with scissors wrote:

Rich Ahrens wrote in message isi.com...

running with scissors wrote:

Andrew Sarangan wrote in message
. 146.158...

(running with scissors)
wrote in om:

As a question, why would you want to place a passenger in the
left seat? what purpose would it serve ?

There are regulations pertaining to this, and if you are indeed
doing your instructors rating you should have gained a reasonable
knowledge of the FAR's and furthermore have an understaning of
CRM.

Please cite the paragraph number of this regulation that pertains
to right seat flying.

read the FAR's and the AFM.

In other words, you can't come up with a regulatory reference.

135.113/135.115 & read under part 23/25m and i admit to not adding the
reference to renters policy and insurance

Old May 3rd 04, 04:39 AM
Brad Z

Nice try. Even if this did apply to part 135, no one said anything about
manipulation of the controls by the passenger, hence 135.115 doesn't apply.
And if 135.113 did apply, the passenger couldn't ride in the right seat
either, since it is a pilot's seat.

"running with scissors" wrote in
message om...
Rich Ahrens wrote in message

isi.com...
running with scissors wrote:

Andrew Sarangan wrote in message
.158...

(running with scissors)

Old May 3rd 04, 04:46 AM
Everett M. Greene

"Brad Z" writes:
"running with scissors" wrote

As a question, why would you want to place a passenger in the left
seat? what purpose would it serve ?

A few that come to mind...

1) For aerial photography flights in aircraft with only left opening windows
2) Returning to base with an inop PTT button on the left yoke
3) attaching a yoke mounted GPS so that it doesn't block the instruments
directly in front of you on the panel
4) Demo-ing an aircraft to a potential buyer (who may not even be rated yet)

Or as happened when on a pleasure flight with my cousin --
he'd spent years as a military instructor pilot and was at
the time an airline second officer and things didn't "feel
right" from the left seat.
Old May 3rd 04, 05:31 AM
Robert M. Gary

When I was working on my CFI rating I woudl put my student pilot in
the left seat because I didn't have brakes on the right side. The FSDO
said the person working the brakes didn't need any certification (of
course I was responsible for ensuring he knew how to work them). I did
not try to give him instruction.

BTW: I had to write a letter to my insurance company. If you don't
notify them that you are flying left seat and you put someone else in
the left, they will likely believe the left seat was the flying pilot.
My agent said the warning letter fixes this.

(Teacherjh) wrote in message ...

In the third paragraph
they say that it is illegal for a non-instructor pilot to fly in the
right seat with a non-pilot in the left seat.

In the United States, there is no regulation as far as I know that dictates
what seat the Pilot In Command must utilize, except that it must be a control
seat, which I take to mean a seat with controls. Nothing I am aware of
prevents a pilot from flying solo in the right seat, the front seat, the back
seat, or even a passenger seat (with strings attached to the yoke).

I believe the author is incorrect.

Jose

The National Lake Eutrophication Survey 1971-1973 Badwater Bill Home Built 18 June 16th 04 02:27 AM
Seat cushion Ernest Christley Home Built 14 August 5th 03 07:16 PM
Seat cushions Big John Home Built 3 July 31st 03 10:59 PM
seeking info from NW Ontario/ Upper Midwest Pilots flying intoAtikokan David Megginson Instrument Flight Rules 0 July 9th 03 03:04 PM