Stone fired, TSA closing up shop?

Old April 9th 05, 06:30 AM
Hilton

Default Stone fired, TSA closing up shop?

Wow, I'm amazed, nothing in the NGs yet about this - perhaps I have a slow
mail server?

Hilton

Old April 9th 05, 06:40 AM
Peter Duniho

"Hilton" wrote in message
nk.net...
Wow, I'm amazed, nothing in the NGs yet about this - perhaps I have a slow
mail server?

Saw it. Not really sure how it affects us. Didn't see anything that
suggested the DHS was going to change their basic policies. They'll just
move the stuff currently in the TSA elsewhere.

Old April 9th 05, 07:04 AM
Morgans

"Hilton" wrote in message
nk.net...
Wow, I'm amazed, nothing in the NGs yet about this - perhaps I have a slow
mail server?

Hilton

Give us a link?

Old April 9th 05, 08:03 AM
Hilton

Give us a link?

http://www.cnn.com - under Travel
http://www.aero-news.net - a few stories down
http://www.tsa.gov - under News and Events

Hilton

Old April 9th 05, 01:13 PM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 05:30:23 GMT, "Hilton"
wrote in et::

Wow, I'm amazed, nothing in the NGs yet about this

What aspect of Admiral Stone's departure from TSA do you find relevant
and worthy of discussion here?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/04/08...tor/index.html
Roehrkasse dismissed reports that the future of the TSA may be in
jeopardy. "The TSA has the full confidence of the department
leadership and will continue in its missions to secure the
nation's aviation and transportation system," he said.

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff is conducting a
review of the department and a Homeland Security official said he
"will look at all aspects of TSA operations consistent with
studying all aspects of the department's operations."

The review is expected to be completed in late May or early June.

Old April 10th 05, 03:18 AM
Andrew Gideon

Larry Dighera wrote:

What aspect of Admiral Stone's departure from TSA do you find relevant
and worthy of discussion here?

For GA? Probably little to none. Someone else, I'm sure, will take over
the job of harassing pilots and controllers with ADIZs and such.

I've heard from a reliable source that the Teterboro FSDO was tasked with
"violating" the [too, admittedly] many pilots that violated the NY airspace
restrictions during the Republican Convention. The result was FSDO people
chasing down pilots instead of inspecting operations at the airports like
EWR.

But I've never located a reference for this. Anyone happen to have one?

With respect to the current story, one item I found particularly amusing was
that screener jobs may return to the private market. It seems that this
federal security effort was just another of many jobs the federal
government is completely incapable of handling. They took it on only to
fail.

So they hand it back to private industry from whom the government was
supposedly saving us. The major change from before is that there will now
be a liability limit. So if the screeners permit a terrorist with a
nuclear weapon to sneak aboard, they cannot be held liable.

A complete joke, except we're the joke's butt.

The only decent thing about this are comments like "We need to step back and
look at the billions of dollars we spent on the system, which doesn't
provide much more protection than we had before 9/11" from John Mica. If
only he and his peers would turn their attentions to the abuses heaped upon
GA.

- Andrew

Old April 12th 05, 08:17 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Hilton wrote:

http://www.aero-news.net - a few stories down

"Cirrus Design Steps Up As Major Sponsor of ANN's SnF-Lakeland 2005
Coverage!" And the photo ad next to it is for Lancair... bwahahahaha
Old April 12th 05, 08:28 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Darrel Toepfer wrote:

http://www.aero-news.net - a few stories down

"Cirrus Design Steps Up As Major Sponsor of ANN's SnF-Lakeland 2005
Coverage!" And the photo ad next to it is for Lancair... bwahahahaha

In fareness there were also ads for the Eclipse, TAP and the SR22. Kinda
shocked that the first ad that popped up was for a Columbia 350/400...

Just refresh the page to rotate through all the ads...
Old April 12th 05, 08:49 PM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 22:18:51 -0400, Andrew Gideon
wrote in ine.com::

Larry Dighera wrote:

[...]

That seems at odds with the AVflash blurb below.

So they hand it back to private industry from whom the government was
supposedly saving us. The major change from before is that there will now
be a liability limit. So if the screeners permit a terrorist with a
nuclear weapon to sneak aboard, they cannot be held liable.

A complete joke, except we're the joke's butt.

The only decent thing about this are comments like "We need to step back and
look at the billions of dollars we spent on the system, which doesn't
provide much more protection than we had before 9/11" from John Mica.

Between the cost of baby Bush's waging war on Iraq under false
pretenses and the billions of dollars being spent by new Department Of
Homeland Security he created, the economic recession has rebounded,
but future generations will be paying off the huge deficit thus
created for decades. But hey, the "War President" did manage to get
reelected. :-(

If only he and his peers would turn their attentions to the abuses
heaped upon GA.

- Andrew

Many thanks for the information you provided. Here's a little mo

AVflash Volume 11, Number 15a -- April 11, 2005

TSA LOSES HEAD, MAY DOWNSIZE...
Admiral David M. Stone, the third person to head the Transportation
Security Administration (TSA) in the three years of its (somewhat
rocky) existence, announced Friday he will step down in June.
Officials were mum on the reasons for the departure and plans for a
successor. The move could reflect an effort in Washington to diminish
the agency's role, according to The Washington Post. The TSA could be
limited to just managing airport security screeners, or it could be
disbanded altogether. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff is
currently undertaking a review of the TSA to be completed in May or
June, which is expected to lead to major changes.
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#189518

....TO GA DISMAY
General aviation advocacy groups are growing weary of the TSA
revolving door. "We need consistent and steady leadership by the
individuals that shape our fragile flight environment," said AOPA
President Phil Boyer. Each new leader needs to be convinced that GA
aircraft are not a threat and educated about the nature and needs of
small airports, a frustrating exercise when they keep leaving. Stone
had appeared last October at AOPA Expo in Long Beach, Calif., where he
showed a willingness to listen to the concerns of GA pilots. He also
had worked closely with the National Business Aviation Association
(NBAA) on plans to reopen Reagan Washington National Airport.
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#189519

Old April 13th 05, 02:56 AM
George Patterson

Hilton wrote:
Wow, I'm amazed, nothing in the NGs yet about this - perhaps I have a slow
mail server?

They'll just keep replacing the head guy until they find somebody willing to
ground "all those dangerous little planes."

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.