Chicago Flying

Old February 14th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Chicago Flying

A question to all you IL.guys.

How has flying down the Chi.lakefront changed since 9/11?

I used to fly down the lakefront quite regularly when I lived up there. It
was always a nice finish to dinner at Lake Lawn. I kinda miss the chats with
the Miegs :-( and Midway folks.

Marty

Old February 14th 06, 07:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

No place to land anymore.

Old February 14th 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

How has flying down the Chi.lakefront changed since 9/11?

I haven't done the Chicago VFR corridor since King Daley bulldozed Meigs,
but I've been told it's actually much easier to fly it, now that Meigs is
gone. You can buzz right over the old island now, unimpeded.

What an idiot Daley is -- through ignorance, ineptitude, and criminal action
he has actually made it far EASIER for an aircraft to crash into downtown.

I was just watching a video of us landing at Lake Lawn (circa 1996) last
night, and the place was PACKED, including biz jets. Have you heard
anything about the runway at Lake Lawn? The resort is in the middle of a
zillion-dollar renovation, and I'm wondering if they're going to upgrade the
airport, which the last owners had abandoned a few years ago.

Last time I landed there (2004-ish) it was pretty sad.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 14th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

No change other than no tower at Miegs. I regularly fly down the lakeshore
and around the city - either looping around on the west side of the city and
back north or squeeze between Midway and O'Hare and out west. Not much space
to work with either vertically or laterally but it works.

Midway controllers are pretty understanding and helpful but I know that
there is reluctance to bother them. Some pilots monitor O'Hare approach,
some monitor Miegs. Few bother to make contact. Bottom line - less safe as
its all up to see and avoid.

Now we are going to have a heliport right downtown. I haven't been able to
determine the exact plans but I don't think that they are going to staff a
tower. Even if there is not a lot of traffic, it will have to come in over
the lake mixing with any fixed wing passing through. Bottom line - even
more less safe.

It would be nice if they designated (and published) a CTAF for traffic along
the lakeshore so everyone could freely broadcast position reports. Is there
any precedent for such a thing or does it depend on grassroots effort to
start an unofficial convention?

--
-------------------------------
Travis

Old February 14th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 00:10:50 -0600, "Marty"
wrote:

A question to all you IL.guys.

How has flying down the Chi.lakefront changed since 9/11?

Now that Meigs is gone - we no longer have to talk to anyone, although
because of traffic, it is always a good idea to get flight following
from Approach.

I have not flown the lakeshore for a few months, but I believe there
is now a soundstage for the concerts held on the North end of the
field. Even in an emergency, I am not sure you could land
successfully on the field.

Old February 14th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:04:35 GMT, "Travis Marlatte"
wrote:

snipped...

It would be nice if they designated (and published) a CTAF for traffic along
the lakeshore so everyone could freely broadcast position reports. Is there
any precedent for such a thing or does it depend on grassroots effort to
start an unofficial convention?

There is a traffic reporting frequency for the VFR corridor up the
Hudson River in NYC. It is quite effective. I don't have any idea
what is involved in establishing such a thing.
Rich Russell
Old February 14th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

122.9

Old February 15th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

A question to all you IL.guys.

How has flying down the Chi.lakefront changed since 9/11?

Now that Meigs is gone - we no longer have to talk to anyone,

And we're all safer for it!
Old February 15th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Marty wrote:
A question to all you IL.guys.

How has flying down the Chi.lakefront changed since 9/11?

I don't have to call Miegs anymore...I still talk to Gary.
Gary was always more talkative than Miegs was anyhow.

Old February 15th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

A question to all you IL.guys.

How has flying down the Chi.lakefront changed since 9/11?

Now that Meigs is gone - we no longer have to talk to anyone, although
because of traffic, it is always a good idea to get flight following
from Approach.

I actually found Chicago approach to be difficult and useless. Gary
provides decent advisories on their BRITE until you get too far
from them. I've dealt with approach controls all up and down
the east coast and as far west as Denver, but Chicago is the
most difficult to deal with VFR.