150 mpg

Old July 1st 08, 05:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Big John

Default 150 mpg

Jay

Kind of OT but interesting. Would this meet ur requirements? It'd sure
'fly low' on 20 HP.

If they can make a vehicle like this why can't they make an equivalent
bird (speed and HP)?

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/29/high-mileage-lorem

Big John
Old July 1st 08, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Daniels

Rough calculations:

My "bird" (sailplane) would require only 3.6HP to cruise at 65 knots (20 Lbs
thrust). That works out to about 240MPG. This is using s SFC of .42
Lbs/HP/Hr but ignoring propeller efficiency.

Bill D

Old July 2nd 08, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jumpin Jahosaphat

http://www.aircraft-spruce.com/da11.html

Try the above link! based on 75% cruise and .40 SFC (I'm using rounded
figures here) it would us less than 1 GPH to attain 125 mph cruise and it
is flying! He cannot sell plans/kits because the manufacturer of the
engine refuses to let him use it in the plane for, what else, liability!
The same company supplies engines for racing go-carts that have people
lying prone on their backs doing 100+mph, go figure.
John

Old July 3rd 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Jumpin Jahosaphat" wrote in message
news
http://www.aircraft-spruce.com/da11.html

Try the above link! based on 75% cruise and .40 SFC (I'm using rounded
figures here) it would us less than 1 GPH to attain 125 mph cruise and it
is flying! He cannot sell plans/kits because the manufacturer of the
engine refuses to let him use it in the plane for, what else, liability!
The same company supplies engines for racing go-carts that have people
lying prone on their backs doing 100+mph, go figure.
John

That really is a very cool concept, but there are a couple of problems:
1) Leeon Davis passed away last year--although his family and others may
still be selling and servicing the design. I really hope that they are
doing so, as the concept deserves to live on.
2) Leeon Davis was physically small, much like Ken Rand, so larger pilots
will probably need to scale the design to fit them. That should still
result in a 100+ mpg airplane for someone 6'1", as I am, which is still
darned good!

I agree with you about the insanity of the liability issue. It is just
further proof that a lot of liability concerns are simply predjudice and
have no actuarial data to back them up--and I am quite sure that includes
many on the part of insurance companies.

Peter