Best homebuilt for ~700 nm commute

Old July 7th 08, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Best homebuilt for ~700 nm commute

Re the Tango (composite) and RV (metal) an article in July Sport
Aviation (pg 54) addresses Drag Coefficient as a function of
construction process. The multiplier for the Drag Coefficient for
composite is 1.0-1.05 and for flush rivet metal is 1.10. Composite
can reduce drag then by 5 - 10% over a metal constructed aircraft.
Food for thought.
Old July 7th 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Paul Hastings

On 2008-07-07, wrote:
Re the Tango (composite) and RV (metal) an article in July Sport
Aviation (pg 54) addresses Drag Coefficient as a function of
construction process. The multiplier for the Drag Coefficient for
composite is 1.0-1.05 and for flush rivet metal is 1.10. Composite
can reduce drag then by 5 - 10% over a metal constructed aircraft.
Food for thought.

The flip side: what happens when it collects hangar rash? Repairing aluminum
is well known; repairing composites is not.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC
http://www.conmicro.com

Could you clarify that Jay?

The way I read it your saying that composite repair is not possible or much
harder than aluminum repair.

There are well established methods for repairing composite damage, without any
annoying rivet bucking noise.

Paul

Old July 7th 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Maynard

On 2008-07-07, Paul Hastings wrote:
The way I read it your saying that composite repair is not possible or much
harder than aluminum repair.

There are well established methods for repairing composite damage, without
any annoying rivet bucking noise.

Why, then, can't you get composite factory aircraft repaired short of
sending the broken part back to the factory?

Yes, I know the discussion is around homebuilts, but if composite repairs
are well understood, then there should be no reason to require all repairs
to be done at the factory.
Old July 8th 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Paul Hastings

On 2008-07-07, Paul Hastings wrote:
The way I read it your saying that composite repair is not possible or much
harder than aluminum repair.

There are well established methods for repairing composite damage, without
any annoying rivet bucking noise.

Why, then, can't you get composite factory aircraft repaired short of
sending the broken part back to the factory?

Yes, I know the discussion is around homebuilts, but if composite repairs
are well understood, then there should be no reason to require all repairs
to be done at the factory.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
AMD Zodiac CH601XLi N55ZC (got it!)

Not knowing which factory you are speaking of, my guess is more of a company
policy issue for liability reasons. I know Northwest(I live in MN too) isn't
sending parts back to Airbus they are repairing them onsite.

So are many homebuilders with composite planes, imho composite repairs are
easier. Especially in your example of hangar rash, if you ding the leading edge
in aluminum How many rivets do you have to drill and rebuck if it is a single
piece leading edge. It gets even worse if you bend an aluminum spar.

Paul

Old July 8th 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Maynard

On 2008-07-07, Paul Hastings wrote:
Not knowing which factory you are speaking of, my guess is more of a company
policy issue for liability reasons. I know Northwest(I live in MN too) isn't
sending parts back to Airbus they are repairing them onsite.

I was thinking of the LSA market, as well as being told of one DA20 that
took out a landing light and was down for six months while waiting on
Diamond to fix it.

So are many homebuilders with composite planes, imho composite repairs are
easier. Especially in your example of hangar rash, if you ding the leading edge
in aluminum How many rivets do you have to drill and rebuck if it is a single
piece leading edge. It gets even worse if you bend an aluminum spar.

OTOH, damage that would bend an aluminum spar would break a composite wing
in half.

I don't mean to minimize the repairs required with aluminum, certainly...but
any A&P can deal with an aluminum repair. That's a major reason I ruled out
composite aircraft when I was looking. I would expect the same would go for
composite homebuilts. Sure, the builder might well be able to fix it - but
how well would the fix work, especially in the long run? How well would it
stand up to sun and weather?
Old July 8th 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Vaughn Simon

"Jay Maynard" wrote in message
The flip side: what happens when it collects hangar rash?

So who has a hanger? Perhaps it is because I started out in sailplanes, but
I would not be comfortable parking a glass bird out in the sun for years at a
time, especially one finished in jellcoat.

Repairing aluminum is well known; repairing composites is not.

Sorry, I can't agree. I have seen some torn up sailplanes repaired so well
you can't see where anything ever happened. It all a matter of finding the
right repair station.

Old July 8th 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

.. .

On 2008-07-07, Paul Hastings wrote:
[...]

From what I've heard around my local chapter, composite repairs are not much
of a problem--at least as long as the spars and fuel tanks are still OK.

OTOH, you really can't beat the pre-punched aluminum from VanGrunsven for
assembly time. If you already have some wiring and systems knowledge from
your work experience, you could almost make an argrument to build an RV to
fly while you are building something that fit your "ultimate" solution. If
you don't have that experience, you will have to deal with the "90% done and
90% remaining" problem, but the same will sitll be true of the composites.

Peter

Old July 8th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Paul Hastings

On 2008-07-07, Paul Hastings wrote:
[...]

So, it is a personal issue that you have with composites. I'm glad we cleared
that up :^)

Best homebuilt for ~700 nm commute es330td Home Built 33 July 22nd 08 11:26 PM
An Icy Commute Michelle P Piloting 12 December 7th 05 03:50 AM
Can anyone ID this homebuilt? JLB Home Built 9 April 29th 04 08:01 PM
OT? write-offs for business commute Chad Munroe General Aviation 10 January 16th 04 01:02 AM
OT? write-offs for business commute Chad Munroe Piloting 8 January 16th 04 01:02 AM