Bargin tcas alert

Old December 3rd 04, 12:26 PM
Dave

Default Bargin tcas alert

About a week ago I got a small collision prevention device called
trafficscope micro. It seems to work really well in areas of
congested airspace, and places I most frequent. It is not cheap
($200) but it works well for the intended purpose. The best price I
got was from talking to my local retail
http://www.flightessentials.net/inde...ROD&ProdID=746

I bought this after many frustrated incedents with our ATC system.
There have been numerous time where I was only one of the few aircraft
flying VFR at 1:00 AM in the morning dedicated to perhaps a single ATC
sector, and they failed to alert me to other approaching IFR traffic.
Most of the time I fly I often compete with incoming cargo flights
ranging from C-310 aircraft to Merlin turbo-props. None of these
aircraft have TCAS and are flying as blind as I am. I don't
understand how the FAA allows such a lapse in general aviation safety,
just because the hours we fly are o-dark'30. I understand that they
need to scale down their staff at night, but there is no excuse for
the lack of assitance I often get. However, I hear people get sports
updates freduently.
Old December 3rd 04, 03:00 PM
Thomas Borchert

Dave,

a small collision prevention device called
trafficscope micro. It seems to work really well in areas of
congested airspace, and places I most frequent. It is not cheap
($200) but it works well for the intended purpos

No voice warnings...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 5th 04, 02:55 PM
Dave

True. There is no "alert" per se, but it does give an indication as to
the nearest aircraft around me. I think for the money it is a good
heads-up warning that only helps to aid me in knowing when to search
more, and when to relax and enjoy flying more.

Dave,

Old December 5th 04, 09:27 PM
Thomas Borchert

Dave,

True. There is no "alert" per se, but it does give an indication as to
the nearest aircraft around me

Let's see: It's giving you a visual indication. While checking whether
that comes on, it will keep you from looking outside where the traffic
is - both traffic with an active transponder and that without one. Seems
to me that the net result is a loss of total time spent scanning for
traffic - for all of 200 bucks.

And yes, units with an aural warning are different in that very respect.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 5th 04, 10:31 PM
Vaughn

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Dave,

True. There is no "alert" per se, but it does give an indication as to
the nearest aircraft around me

Let's see: It's giving you a visual indication. While checking whether
that comes on, it will keep you from looking outside where the traffic
is - both traffic with an active transponder and that without one. Seems
to me that the net result is a loss of total time spent scanning for
traffic - for all of 200 bucks.

And if our intrepid pilot is not bothering to look out the window, what
makes you think that he/she will bother looking at the display on the little
TCAS box? It seems to me that adding an audable alert to that little gizmo
would be cheap...and necessary.

Vaughn

Old December 6th 04, 07:13 AM
Terri Johnson

I've been using my Micro since I got it and have never had a problem
seeing the bright green, yellow and red lights, even in the sun. It's
mounted on my dash where I don't have to take my eyes away from
scanning to see it. Sure, something over my headset would be since,
but for $249 (what I paid for it), I can't complain.

I've noticed in the many posts by Thomas Borchert that he sells the
Monroy. Perhaps there's a bias at work here? How much is the Monroy
compared to the Micro, I wonder...

T. Johnson

Old December 6th 04, 11:00 AM
Thomas Borchert

Vaughn,

It seems to me that adding an audable alert to that little gizmo
would be cheap...and necessary.

Well, looking at the market, it's at least several hundred dollars
more. But from having usedg such a device, it is well worth the money,
IMHO.
--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 6th 04, 11:00 AM
Thomas Borchert

Terri,

I've noticed in the many posts by Thomas Borchert that he sells the
Monroy. Perhaps there's a bias at work here?

No, there isn't. I couldn't care less what device with an aural warning you get,
but I DO consider an aural warning essential - for the reasons given. Do you have
anything to say regarding my reasoning or would you care to continue personal
attacks?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 6th 04, 12:19 PM
Dave

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Vaughn,

It seems to me that adding an audable alert to that little gizmo
would be cheap...and necessary.

Well, looking at the market, it's at least several hundred dollars
more. But from having usedg such a device, it is well worth the

money,
IMHO.
--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

No it isn't. For several hundred dollars to add an audio feature is
rediculous.

Old December 6th 04, 12:25 PM
Dave

I think I may have stepped into something, but I read the posts and did
not see a "personal attack" on you. Terri simply stated that you happen
to sell one of these devices. Do you sell one of these types of
warning systems? If so admit such, and no harm, no foul.

Terrorist Alert!!!! :-) Larry Dighera Piloting 7 March 29th 04 04:15 AM
controller killed Jeff Piloting 16 March 5th 04 11:22 AM
Skyguide traffic controller killed HECTOP Piloting 39 March 3rd 04 02:46 AM
FBI Issues Alert Against Almanac Carriers noname Military Aviation 1 December 30th 03 02:13 AM