How Does it Work at Mifflin?

Old May 19th 10, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

Default How Does it Work at Mifflin?

I don't quite get how things work at Mifflin. According to http://SSA.org
and a google search the only soaring activities there seems to be
during contests. There seems to be no commercial operation there nor
any club. If I was to show up wanting to fly the ridge, how do I go
about getting a tow and/or instruction? I hear about clubs making
road trips to Mifflin -- do they bring along their own tow plane?

Expiring minds want to know. Thanks.
Old May 19th 10, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On May 18, 8:45*pm, ContestID67 wrote:
I don't quite get how things work at Mifflin. *According tohttp://SSA.org
and a google search the only soaring activities there seems to be
during contests. *There seems to be no commercial operation there nor
any club. *If I was to show up wanting to fly the ridge, how do I go
about getting a tow and/or instruction? *I hear about clubs making
road trips to Mifflin -- do they bring along their own tow plane?

Expiring minds want to know. *Thanks.

I discussed formation of a soaring chapter at Mifflin with John Good
earlier this year and provided some information on behalf of the SSA
Clubs & Chapters Comittee. While researching clubs and chapters 3-4
weeks ago, I found that the Mifflin Soaring Association filed with the
state of Pennsylvania on 4/19/2010, but have yet to receive a follow-
up from John. Beyond that and some other background chatter, it
appears to be a work in progress.

Frank Whiteley
Old May 19th 10, 12:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_12_]

Ridge Soaring Gliderport is nearby. (Two valleys west.) We started the
soaring operation at Mifflin 20 years ago to accomodate a large number
of gliders for competitions.

Ridge Soaring Gliderport is a full-service, dedicated gliderport, at
the base of the famous Bald Eagle Ridge.
Web site: www.eglider.org

Tom Knauff

Old May 19th 10, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On May 18, 10:45*pm, ContestID67 wrote:
I don't quite get how things work at Mifflin. *According tohttp://SSA.org
and a google search the only soaring activities there seems to be
during contests. *There seems to be no commercial operation there nor
any club. *If I was to show up wanting to fly the ridge, how do I go
about getting a tow and/or instruction? *I hear about clubs making
road trips to Mifflin -- do they bring along their own tow plane?

Expiring minds want to know. *Thanks.

Tows are available by arrangement with Butch (R. L.) Thompson or Brian
Glick. Look either up on the SSA website for contact info. That's
about the extent of regular ops.

Butch or Brian might be able to advise you of planned club activities
and perhaps you could coordinate. Most ridge activity in April, May,
October.

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old May 20th 10, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BG[_3_]

Mifflin does not have a club, but we have been offering tows here
since 1994 when Butch Thompson bought a Husky and located here. We now
have 2 towplanes, as my family owns a 180 Cessna that I tow in. Butch
and I work together on this, as I do have a regular job, although it
is somewhat flexible in scheduling. Basically he covers the days i can
not be at the field and we work togehter on the rest. When large clubs
come, we both tow, and we both enjoy the sport of soaring, the people
and the flying. We endevour to be as full service as we can.

The new clubhouse proposal is well in the works and if all goes well,
we should have it up and usable by the spring 11 season. We have
managed 16 years without it, but we think it will contribute a lot. We
also intend to try and bring in some students and new local people
that would love to learn, but so far have no close place to go. We
have a small band of volunteer help that we hope to expand on.

As of now, the club by-laws and membership issues are being worked
out. This is however, a public field that all, club, or non club alike
are welcome to come and enjoy the flying. We usually tell everyone
that tows are available 365 & 7, that is what we strive for. You will
find the outlanding fields in this area much better than most, that is
what makes it such a good beginners and student place to fly. In the
fall we have had very large contigents of gliders and clubs for fall
thermal and ridge flying. Spring has been good, but not as good as
fall.

Anything else I can help you with, just let me know. As Evan
mentioned, my contact info can be found in the members section of
SSA.org.

I hope this helps
Brian Glick

Mifflin SPOT Tracking MarkH Soaring 0 May 16th 10 07:06 AM
task at mifflin today [email protected] Soaring 5 May 19th 08 07:37 PM
mifflin sports class day 3 BB Soaring 0 May 23rd 06 02:24 PM
Mifflin Reg 2 Contest BGMIFF Soaring 17 June 1st 05 05:14 AM
5-05 15 Meter Nationals Mifflin USA TomnKeyLargo Soaring 2 May 17th 04 04:54 AM