Audio Variometer sounds

Old May 18th 10, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default Audio Variometer sounds

On May 17, 4:59*pm, Tom wrote:
I also turn off the down-sound, preferring less bad news in my life.

We call that the "KS no bad news" option ;-)
See ya, Dave

Old May 18th 10, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mike

On May 17, 7:07*pm, SF wrote:
On May 17, 5:45*pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:

HI,

It is my intent to put videos of all the varios I sell onto my web site.. *So
far I have done so for the Cambridge 302 and Tasman V1000. *There are links
to the videos near the bottom of this page.http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/varios.htm

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"Grider Pirate" wrote in message

My old Cambridge CAV series Audio Variometer is dying. *It will die
someday, if I don't KILL it first. Sometimes on a long flight, it will
become quite optimistic. *Cheerleaders are fine, but when I'm in 4
knot sink, reporting 2 knots of lift, and beeping cheerily isn't
helpful. *The other problem is the tones themselves. *I have some
hearing loss in mid-upper ranges, and as a consequence, I have to
crank the volume to max to hear the "climb" sounds. *Unfortunately, I
hear just fine in the lower registers, so the "sink" tone is REALLY
loud (and annoying after several minutes!). *Is there a place on the
web that has examples of the tones output by assorted variometers so I
can find one that I like?

The Ilec sounds best, my 302 is OK, and I just wanted to drive a stake
through the heart of my old Borgelt.

Agree about the Borgelt audio..

My Borgelt B50 is a nice instrument, and although is sounds great at
12 knots, the audio is painful after a while. I usually turn it down
to being just audible.
Old May 18th 10, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On May 17, 7:51*pm, mike wrote:
On May 17, 7:07*pm, SF wrote:

[...]

to being just audible.- Hide quoted text -

I watched/listened to the Tasman Vario video. I could live with those
tones, and frankly most of the others are out of my price range. In
the meantime (while saving my pennies) I'll adjust the sink deadband
of my old Cambridge to be quiet unless sink exceeds 10 knots.
Old May 18th 10, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben[_4_]

SOS Paul Remde SOS. Yes, more videos please.

In 30 something years, I have yet to hear a "pleasing" audio. Why
designers and manufactures insist on duplicating sounds heard in, God
forbid, a Level 1 trauma ER is beyond me. Audios should enhance your
soaring day and not spoil it with rude and irritating responses. So
after being tortured by the Cambridge audio for over a 1000 hours, I'm
ready for a change. And "how does it sound?" is my #1 research
question.

Besides CAI, I have surfed Borgelt, ILEC, LX, Westerboer, and Zander.
I've read ClearNav now has a vario, but I cannot find anything on the
web. Evidently, vario manufactures (starting with CAI) know nothing
about marketing either because not one of them offer videos depicting
their products operation. With all the technology we have today, how
can this be? This fact just confirms the importance manufactures put
on the sounds made by their instruments.

I'm going to support the guy who provides me with the best product
information without having to chase all over hill and dale. Kudos to
Paul Remde @ Cumulus Soaring - - you are on the right track by making
the effort to provide product "experiences". Please keep them coming!

On May 17, 4:59*pm, Tom wrote:
Is there a place on the web that has examples of the tones output by
assorted variometers so I
can find one I like?

The most pleasant, and easiest to hear and interpret is used by ILEC
variometers.

ILEC gives the operator a choice of sounds, the best being a multi-
tone sound which is easier to hear, so you can turn the volume way
down. I also turn off the down-sound, prefering less bad news in my
life.

Tom Knauff