Talking Varios

Old May 19th 10, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

Default Talking Varios

On May 19, 7:13*am, John Cochrane
wrote:
On May 18, 10:06*pm, Steve Koerner wrote:

ClearNav designers:

Please continue to ignore Cochrane's idea for numeric data by voice.
Devices that do that are horridly annoying. *It does not work; voice
is painfully slow compared to a glance to the panel and it is
disruptive to thinking as the information arrives at the convenience
of the machine rather than when the pilot wishes to receive it.

Well, to each his own. I don't want to "glance at the panel" any more
than absolutely necessary. Glance means look down, refocus, look up,
refocus. I want to look OUT especially in a gaggle, but I want to know
my average quite often; at least once every turn or two. And hearing
an averager say "4 knots" or "4 up" every 20 seconds wouldn't bother
me.

But surely if this comes to pass there will be a checkbox to turn it
on and off or a volume control, so there is no point to arguing about
it if you don't like it

John Cochrane

Agreed.

I would also point to the ominous ticking of a Borgelt vario when
sinking at more than 5 knots. It seems to me that Mike could offer an
optional vario sound of "tic's" when climbing and "toc's" while
sinking the frequency of which would indicate the rate. Perhaps each
"tic" or "toc" might indicate an altitude change of one meter. It
seems to me this would be much less annoying than a screeching vario
tone.

Varios [email protected] Soaring 9 January 5th 09 08:51 PM
Glider Cockpit with 4 Varios! Why? ContestID67 Soaring 26 August 10th 08 03:34 AM
Sage Varios-Williams Soaring Tom Hubbard Soaring 0 April 2nd 07 07:12 PM
Opinions on Varios Bruce Soaring 8 March 1st 05 03:57 PM
Super Varios John Scott Soaring 1 February 25th 05 02:14 AM