ASH 26E VS DG 808C

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 29th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default ASH 26E VS DG 808C

Gary Evans wrote:

[discussing the cost of a total engine replacement]
While the major 26 engine parts may cost $8k Euro a
replacement engine can cost $17k US as one unhappy
owner found out the hard way. I sure hope it isn't
a common problem, because that would bankrupt a lot
of people.

A replacement Solo engine costs about $8K, according to the DG dealer.
If I were looking at buying one of these gliders and wanted to factor in
the potential for a total engine replacement, I'd add $1K to $2K to
price of the ASH 26 E, and use that number in my considerations. I
wouldn't add the whole $9K difference because I think it's unlikely I'd
need to replace engine, but a prospective owner should choose whatever
amount he can be comfortable with.

I understand that a belt break which stops
the water pump results in almost instant over heating
which can fry the engine resulting in one of those
big bills but as long as you constantly watch the temp
gauge and keep one hand on the off switch that shouldn't
be a big issue. When two belts break at the same meet
however I would no longer call it an unusual occurrence.

The belts that broke at the Parowan camp were the propeller drive belts,
not the fan belt (the water pump is driven directly by the engine - no
belt). The drive belts on the 26 E fleet did not break for many years
(for example, mine is 12 years old and has 114 hours on it), but a few
of newest gliders have had this happen. We've been told that Gates, the
belt manufacturer, changed the construction of the belts about three
years ago, and the consequences of that change are now surfacing.

Schleicher tells us they will correct this situation. In the meantime,
pilots are cautioned to use the handbook procedure for starting the
engine, and avoid "pumping" the throttle or the primer when the engine
is running slowly. So far, there haven't been any belts break during an
in-flight restart.

As not all may know, some of the Solo engine systems have also suffered
from propeller drive belts breaking, and Ventus/Nimbus self-launchers
had (perhaps still have) a 20 hour life limit on the belt. I don't know
the exact situation for DG, but they had similar problems. It's my
understanding there are also changes in their starting procedure that
reduce the problem, and some mechanical changes that may/will eliminate
the problem. Gary can inform us on this.

Fortunately, the Solo belt breakage was also always on the ground and
not in the air (to my knowledge).

Interesting that DG's engine management system which
automated the process beyond the 26 would be viewed
as unnecessary like the parking option on the new
Lexus. I guess that means that all development should
have just stopped with the 26. Hmmm!

As a former electrical engineer that used to help automate processes,
I'm all in favor of automation; however, the 26 E system is so simple
and reliable, I've not wanted Schleicher to change it.

Ps. As I said before IMO both of these ships are good
choices but both have advantages and disadvantages.
Were that not the case one of these two manufactures
would have been out of business by now. You can measure
how well DG is doing by the sales volume and innovations.
I assume Schleicher is doing as well. You pay your
money and take your choice. I do suggest interested
buyers research beyond owners opinions as they (we)
tend to be a tad biased as you may have noticed.

A big problem is it's rare for a pilot to have significant time in BOTH
gliders, so he can offer an informed comparison. I urge any prospective
owner that is interested in a particular glider but concerned (or
particularly interested) about some aspect of it to discuss it with the
dealer, and ultimately with factory if the dealer's response isn't
enough. These are low volume manufacturers providing expensive, complex
machines, so you are more like a partner in the operation than just a
customer walking out of Wal-Mart with a toaster under your arm.

I've had these conversations with Schleicher over 20 years of owning
first an ASW 20 and now the ASH 26 E, so I've got a lot of confidence in
the ability and will of the people at Schleicher to provide a good
glider, and to make things right if they go wrong. That's the bias on my
part, because I'm not nearly so familiar with the crew at DG. DG pilots
likely have the opposite experience.

So, talk to the owners, the dealer, the factory, maybe the folks that
repair them, look carefully at the glider (and be sure to sit in it),
and consider that you'll probably be happy with your choice because you
won't know what you missed!

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

"Transponders in Sailplanes" on the Soaring Safety Foundation website
www.soaringsafety.org/prevention/articles.html

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org