Spring Cleaning and Battery Testing

Old March 19th 11, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Whiskey Delta

Default Spring Cleaning and Battery Testing

On Mar 19, 1:16*am, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 3/18/2011 9:17 PM, Papa3 wrote:

What does the group think about desulfautors? *I've done some
searching and see lots of widely varying opinions (which I suspect
I'll get here as well).

I'm skeptical about their value, because the only place I've seen them
touted is by the people that sell them, and I've never seen a technical
manual from Powersonic, Yuasa, Panasonic, etc., for SLA batteries that
even mentions them, much less suggest them. Instead, the manuals and
battery datasheets always recommend three phase chargers as the best
type of charger. Approximately...

Phase 1: constant current until 14.5 volts is reached
Phase 2: constant voltage 14.5 until the charge current drops off to 2%
of amp-hour rating (e.g., 7 AH x 2% = 0.140 amps)
Phase 3: constant voltage at 13.7 volts

But, I'm not aware that they do any harm, either.

email me)

What are the favored battery purchase sites in the USA?

WD
Old March 19th 11, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Eric,

I'm curious, what brand and model number charger do you use that offers
those 3 charging phases. I may be interested in selling them if I can find
a good product at a good price.

I sell the Xenotronix charges. They have proven extremely reliable and seem
to take good care of glider batteries. I think they are 2 stage (phase)
chargers.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/xenotronix.htm

I sold the BatteryMINDer desulphating chargers for a while, but they didn't
sell well. They are more expensive and it is unknown whether they really
make batteries last longer.

I sell the Power-Sonic batteries and have had good results and feedback on
them.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/powersonic.htm

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email
me)

Old March 19th 11, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Westbender

On Mar 19, 12:07*pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:
[...]

me)- Hide quoted text -

I've been using the Power Sonic dual-rate, automatic charger
(PSC-12800A-C) with satisfactory results. Ultra-simple, inexpensive
and foolproof with the automatic float/trickle mode. Over-charging is
impossible. Although I don't take my batteries down very far and they
never sit in a discharged state. So a lot of my success is due to my
use/maintenance habits, not necessarily the equipment.

http://www.power-sonic.com/images/po...argers/146.pdf
Old March 19th 11, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Westbender

Sorry, I meant to clip the quoted text...
Old March 19th 11, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

Those Power-Sonic A-C (A.K.A. "C") series chargers do look interesting. I
like that they work with a variety of AC input ranges. I found a different
(newer?) version of the same brochure he
http://www.power-sonic.com/images/po...s_10_Dec_1.pdf

It is also interesting that the Power-Sonic A-F Series charges includes
charges that look identical to the Xenotronix chargers I sell. I which
brand private labels them from the other manufacturer.
http://www.power-sonic.com/images/po...10_Sept_27.pdf

I need to check into pricing with my Power-Sonic rep.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old March 19th 11, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Mar 19, 9:33*am, Whiskey Delta wrote:
[...]

WD- Hide quoted text -

http://www.atbatt.com/

Very reasonable prices, many choices for batteries and chargers.

Free shipping if you order over $75

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old March 19th 11, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 3/19/2011 10:07 AM, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi Eric,

I'm curious, what brand and model number charger do you use that offers
those 3 charging phases. I may be interested in selling them if I can
find a good product at a good price.

I sell the Xenotronix charges. They have proven extremely reliable and
seem to take good care of glider batteries. I think they are 2 stage
(phase) chargers.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/xenotronix.htm

I use a Xenotronix 4 amp charger - 10 years now. They say they are "two
stage", but their operation is usually called "three stage" or "three
phase". They have the phases I listed: constant current, charge, float.

The Batteryminder 12 volt, 2/4/8 charger seems good, and though I
haven't used one, some motorglider pilots like it. I like the selection
of currents, which fits the different batteries I have.

email me)
Old March 20th 11, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Eric,

Thanks. I'm a little surprised you use the 4A charger. The largest one I
sell so far is a 2 A charger. Are you charging multiple batteries with the
same charger at once? Or do you have a very large capacity battery?

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Old March 20th 11, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

I've been using this http://tinyurl.com/65q9tmb with good results on 7
- 14 AH batteries.

-T8
Old March 20th 11, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Westbender

On Mar 19, 3:43*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
[...]

Yes, the PowerSonic "A-C" chargers work the same way. There's really
three "phases" even though they call them dual rate.

See the last page in this document:
http://www.power-sonic.com/images/po..._11_Jan_12.pdf