Bush wants to close FAA facilities like the base closure initiative from the Reagan era...

Old March 4th 07, 10:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Bush wants to close FAA facilities like the base closure initiative from the Reagan era...

Matt Barrow writes:

Constradcition - with out a profit motive there can be no efficiency, nor
accountability.

Without competition, the profit motive produces the lowest possible quality at
the highest possible price. This is why public services that are natural
monopolies (electrical power, rail networks, air traffic control, etc.) should
never be privatized unless they are under extremely tight regulatory controls.

Old March 4th 07, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 02:05:27 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote in
:

The best accountability is profits and losses, and thodse have to be over
the long term.

Oh, you mean like the private contractor (headed by a former
Halliburton executive) who was granted the contract to run Walter Reed
Hospital. They replaced 300 federal employees with 60 private
employees, and you can see how wonderfully that worked out. :-(
Old March 4th 07, 12:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

The best accountability is profits and losses, and thodse have to be over
the long term.

Oh, you mean like the private contractor (headed by a former
Halliburton executive) who was granted the contract to run Walter Reed
Hospital. They replaced 300 federal employees with 60 private
employees, and you can see how wonderfully that worked out. :-(

Is it better to have Congress mismanaging things or a private contractor
mismanaging things?

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old March 4th 07, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message ...
: On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 02:05:27 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
: wrote in
: :
:
: The best accountability is profits and losses, and thodse have to be over
: the long term.
:
: Oh, you mean like the private contractor (headed by a former
: Halliburton executive) who was granted the contract to run Walter Reed
: Hospital. They replaced 300 federal employees with 60 private
: employees, and you can see how wonderfully that worked out. :-(

Great example Larry. I didn't know we have mercenary hospital workers also...

Old March 4th 07, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Morgans" wrote in message ...
:
: "Larry Dighera" wrote
:
: Imagine Bush's arrogance if he's managed to hold all three branches of
: government hostage.
:
:
: For all of your political expertise, you should go into politics.
:
: I'm also quite certain that I speak for many other RAP people when I say:
:
: SHUT THE HELL UP ABOUT POLITICS!!!
:
: PLONK
:
:

Sounds like someone is starting to have a conscience...

Old March 4th 07, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message ...
: Blueskies wrote:
:
:
: One problem with this whole concept is that we need to keep these facilities open and viable. This is not like the
: downsizing after the Cold War where we had all sorts of excess capacity. The nonsense coming out of this
administration
: astounds me!
:
:
: While there were some pork barrel FAA facilities in the past (lots of
: local FSS's and useless towers in West Virginia) they have largely been
: taken care of. I'm not sure what facilities they think they are going
: to get rid of. They aleady sold-out the FSS's to LockMart.
:
:
:

Ron,

See my opening post for this thread, a good article by Aviation Week. I don't think anyone here can dispute the
reputation of that magazine, and they spell out this proposal pretty well...

Dan D.

Old March 4th 07, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Govenment is established to protect our rights, not to make things conveneint.

One of the ways to protect our rights is to be a strong country, able to
resist the attempts of other countries to usurp our rights. Some things
make us a strong country; this includes a robust infrastructure, even
out to the boonies. Another is a vibrant scientific research tradition.
It attracts bright people to our country, which makes us stronger.
Both of these benefit even those who do not pay for them.

Not everything can be reduced to the cash register, despite the wailings
of libertarians.

Jose
--
Humans are pack animals. Above all things, they have a deep need to
follow something, be it a leader, a creed, or a mob. Whosoever fully
Old March 4th 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 07:51:28 -0500, Bob Noel
wrote in
:

Is it better to have Congress mismanaging things or a private contractor
mismanaging things?

Ask the patients at Walter Reed.
Old March 4th 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 12:57:44 GMT, "Blueskies"
wrote in
:

Sounds like someone is starting to have a conscience...

It sounds more as if someone is acting like a clueless, petulant
child.
Old March 4th 07, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 13:35:11 GMT, Jose
wrote in :

One of the ways to protect our rights is to be a strong country,

One of the ways to be a "strong country" is to have an educational
system that produces enlightened citizens. The educational system in
the US is a travesty. It is even more of an embarrassment to us
internationally than the yokel who currently leads us. Education is
the only, albeit long term, solution to the world's ills.
Unfortunately, it takes an educated person to appreciate that.

Zimbabwe gliding facilities ? not@top-post Soaring 6 September 28th 04 05:22 AM
MLS Airports facilities Gustavo Guido Instrument Flight Rules 1 September 16th 04 06:46 PM
Reagan and AF"1" kage Piloting 42 June 16th 04 06:32 PM
Base Closure List- 2005 Phineas Pinkham Military Aviation 1 September 9th 03 11:06 PM
Nellis on the Blocks (The upcoming 2005 Base Realignment And Closure) CFA3 Military Aviation 25 July 23rd 03 04:47 AM