Small turbines for homebuilts?

Old November 28th 05, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Small turbines for homebuilts?

"Morgans" wrote in message

Lets see, what if you put 6 or 8 of those 50 pound thrust units in a
jetpack
type of arrangement. You should be able to maintain level hovering flight,
right? Fuel demands would mean that you could not hover for very long,
but
it would be much longer than the current jet packs in use, right?

You know, if I had enough money, I might just take that project on!

Damn, Jim. I'd spend a buck to watch!

Rich S.

Old November 28th 05, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

John wrote:
Bill Daniels wrote:

There 30lb thrust model specs at 5.5 gal/hour (350ml/min) which isn't
horrible for a jet. At speed 30lb is roughly 30hp so it takes 3.3 times
to get 100hp so 18 gal/hour which is about 3 times more fuel than a ricip
but it sure could be a lot of fun ;-)
John

If I recall correctly, one pound of thrust = one HP at around 325 knots.
That's quite a bit of 'at speed'.

That sounds about right, I didn't have the figures in front of me. Even so
if you slowed it down to 150-200 you'd still have a fairly potent engine
for the weight. And it still would be a blast!

Yep, 375mph (or 325 knots). If you factor in propeller efficiency, it's
lower. The math is pretty simple if you know the prop efficiency
(usually about 80% or so), you multiply the two, so in reality the magic
number is about 300mph or between about 250-275 knots.

In other words, a 100hp engine makes 200 pounds of thrust at about
150mph, 100 lbf at 300mph, 50 lbf at 600mph (and so on, putting it
simply). Or, a 30 lb thrust engine is equivalent to a 15hp prop job at
150mph, 30hp at 300mph...

Quite a bit of "at speed."

Static thrust comparisons are a little more complicated, that depends a
lot on the propeller.
Old November 29th 05, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Rich S." wrote in message
. ..
"Morgans" wrote in message

Lets see, what if you put 6 or 8 of those 50 pound thrust units in a
jetpack
type of arrangement. You should be able to maintain level hovering

flight,
right? Fuel demands would mean that you could not hover for very long,
but
it would be much longer than the current jet packs in use, right?

You know, if I had enough money, I might just take that project on!

Damn, Jim. I'd spend a buck to watch!

Rich S.

You guy thinking of trying for a 'Darwin Award'?

Old November 29th 05, 01:52 AM
clipclip clipclip is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Findlay
Has there been any development of small jet engines for light aircraft, like
the engines used on the Eclipse 500? Small turbines would be great for high
performance homebuilts if they were cheap enough. Anything down to the
price level that could compete with high horsepower Lycoming's or
Continentals? Thanks,

David
there are "scratch designed & built" 150 hp-equivalent turboprop engines on the market - check out www.innodyn.com - they flew to oshkosh with a turbine equipped super cub ( http://www.innodyn.com/aviation/news..._05_05_01.html ). furthermore, they claim to burn only slightly more than a piston engine, which i find remarkable. they say they have a twinpac planned which would output 300 hp.

francois

Old November 29th 05, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I'll put in in a buck... LOL

Old November 29th 05, 07:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Flyingmonk" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'll put in in a buck... LOL

LOL!!! OK, that's part of the money.

Let's see - those engines are around 3700 bucks per copy. With 8 engines,
that would be 29,600 bucks. I'll throw in the plumbing and harness, ect.,
myself.

Two donations so far. I only have to hear from 29,598 more people that are
putting a buck in! Less, if someone throws 2 bucks (or more) in! VBFG
--
Jim in NC

Old November 29th 05, 08:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

They spec 10.5 gal/hour for...

Correct.
The good thing about AMT is the MTBF, which is considerably longer.

This, mounted on a real aircraft instead of a RC model, can be quite
reassuring.

Piero

Old November 29th 05, 11:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Morgans wrote:

"Flyingmonk" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'll put in in a buck... LOL

LOL!!! OK, that's part of the money.

Let's see - those engines are around 3700 bucks per copy. With 8 engines,
that would be 29,600 bucks. I'll throw in the plumbing and harness, ect.,
myself.

Two donations so far. I only have to hear from 29,598 more people that
are
putting a buck in! Less, if someone throws 2 bucks (or more) in! VBFG

I can go $2.00 bucks! ;-)
John

Old November 29th 05, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

This ha actually been done here in Sweden. Two "model size" turbojets
atop the fuselage of a two-seat glider. Not enoug thrust for take-off
but plenty of power to fly home in marginal conditions to avoid an
"out" landing. I beleive they quoted 1-2 m/s climb rate.