Pad Heaters? Any comments recommendations, etc.?

Old January 16th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Pad Heaters? Any comments recommendations, etc.?

The local mechanic is suggesting we add a pad heater (glues
to the bottom of the oil reservoir on our A-65). He says if
we keep it plugged in all winter it will not only keep the
engine ready to start in cold weather, it will minimize temp
changes and inflow/outflow moist air exchange in the
cylinders, which will limit corrosion.

I'd appreciate comments or suggestions from those with
experience. The Aircraft Spruce website says no STC is
required for these. Why not?

Last, Are there any other inexpensive, safe solutions we
should consider that would hold the engine and/or oil at a
constant temp? I would think there might be some way to
cover the engine compartment with old blankets and set a 75
degree thermstatically controlled heater or light bulb in
there.

Thanks.
Old January 16th 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I've had Tanis systems on a couple planes. And I always left them
plugged in all the time unless I wasn't going to fly for a while.
But my take has always been that using the sump pad alone and
leaving it on all the time wouldn't be the best plan. The upper
part of the engine would be at a colder temp and you'd get
condensation. I've used the pad and the individual cylinder
heaters together though.

Old January 16th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"ben norton" nospam.com wrote

Last, Are there any other inexpensive, safe solutions we
should consider that would hold the engine and/or oil at a
constant temp? I would think there might be some way to
cover the engine compartment with old blankets and set a 75
degree thermstatically controlled heater or light bulb in
there.

Heating pads, heat lamps, small quartz heaters; all have been used. If you
use something that does not have a thermostat, use an inline baseboard
heater thermostat, available at home stores.

Add a timer so that it does not run all of the time, and you have a system.
Of course for minimal condensation amounts, run them all of the time.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 16th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Morgans" wrote in message

Heating pads, heat lamps, small quartz heaters; all have been used. If
you use something that does not have a thermostat, use an inline baseboard
heater thermostat, available at home stores.

Add a timer so that it does not run all of the time, and you have a
system. Of course for minimal condensation amounts, run them all of the
time.

Fellow I know also adds a small aquarium pump. The pump sucks outside air in
through a large plastic jar filled with Silica Gel and then exhausts it into
the crankcase breather, slightly pressurizing the crankcase with bone-dry
air.

Rich S.

Old January 16th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Rich S." wrote in message
. ..
"Morgans" wrote in message

Heating pads, heat lamps, small quartz heaters; all have been used. If
you use something that does not have a thermostat, use an inline
baseboard heater thermostat, available at home stores.

Add a timer so that it does not run all of the time, and you have a
system. Of course for minimal condensation amounts, run them all of the
time.

Fellow I know also adds a small aquarium pump. The pump sucks outside air
in through a large plastic jar filled with Silica Gel and then exhausts it
into the crankcase breather, slightly pressurizing the crankcase with
bone-dry air.

Rich S.

I can't imagine that having much capacity. Even if you only pull (push?) 10
gph through the line, you're going to saturate the silica in a matter of a
few days, aren't you?

KB

Old January 16th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"ben norton" nospam.com wrote in message
The local mechanic is suggesting we add a pad heater (glues
to the bottom of the oil reservoir on our A-65). He says if
we keep it plugged in all winter it will not only keep the
engine ready to start in cold weather, it will minimize temp
changes and inflow/outflow moist air exchange in the
cylinders, which will limit corrosion.

I'd appreciate comments or suggestions from those with
experience. The Aircraft Spruce website says no STC is
required for these. Why not?

Last, Are there any other inexpensive, safe solutions we
should consider that would hold the engine and/or oil at a
constant temp? I would think there might be some way to
cover the engine compartment with old blankets and set a 75
degree thermstatically controlled heater or light bulb in
there.

Thanks.

I have a hotstrip by Reiff. It works well, but I don't leave it on
continually. If it is cold outside, I make a point of going by the airport a
day or three in advance and setting the timer so the heater works for 4-6
hours immediately before my intended flight.

The manufacturers of these products recommend against leaving them on 24/7
due to rust issues.

KB

Old January 17th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

I can't imagine that having much capacity. Even if you only pull (push?)
10 gph through the line, you're going to saturate the silica in a matter
of a few days, aren't you?

10 gph???? Past the rings and valve seals?

Rich S.

Old January 17th 06, 01:31 PM
clipclip clipclip is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben norton
The local mechanic is suggesting we add a pad heater (glues
to the bottom of the oil reservoir on our A-65). He says if
we keep it plugged in all winter it will not only keep the
engine ready to start in cold weather, it will minimize temp
changes and inflow/outflow moist air exchange in the
cylinders, which will limit corrosion.

Thanks.
a pad heater glued to the bottom of the oil pan will keep the engine nice and warm through most temperatures if you have a blanket on the engine cowl. however, unless your system also heats the cylinders (like the tanis or reiff system) you'll be evaporating the dissolved and acidic water in the engine oil and then condensing it on the cold cylinders and camshaft (if you leave it on all the time).

if you only have an oil heater pad you should not leave it plugged in until you're ready to fly for at least 30-45 minutes within 12 hours. otherwise you might be in for some unscheduled internal corrosion and pretty expensive engine rework before TBO.

frank