Cont O-300D oil leak problem

Old December 1st 05, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Cont O-300D oil leak problem

I don't know what to do about this . . . hoping the collective wisdom
here might have some ideas. For the last 3 months or so, after every
flight, there are small streaks of oil on the inside of the lower
cowling on my 67 'Hawk . . . if I don't wipe them up, they drip down on
the tire of my nose gear. My mechanics have replaced all 6 rocker box
covers and gaskets, and re-flared the push rod tubes. I have spent
almost $1000.00 so far and it's still leaking. It holds pressure just
fine . . . my mechanics are now suggesting replacing all the push rod
tubes, but I get the feeling they are just guessing.
Any ideas?

www.Rosspilot.com

Old December 1st 05, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 30 Nov 2005 17:07:17 -0800, "
wrote:

I don't know what to do about this . . . hoping the collective wisdom
here might have some ideas. For the last 3 months or so, after every
flight, there are small streaks of oil on the inside of the lower
cowling on my 67 'Hawk . . . if I don't wipe them up, they drip down on
the tire of my nose gear. My mechanics have replaced all 6 rocker box
covers and gaskets, and re-flared the push rod tubes. I have spent
almost $1000.00 so far and it's still leaking. It holds pressure just
fine . . . my mechanics are now suggesting replacing all the push rod
tubes, but I get the feeling they are just guessing.
Any ideas?

www.Rosspilot.com

Give the engine a real good cleaning then run it up shut down pull
the cowl and check with an ultraviolet light to spot the source of the
oil
Old December 1st 05, 12:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

What gaskets did they use on the rocker covers?

We replaced with the orange silicone gaskets, and torqued them to
specs.

Make sure the dipstick isn't leaking and how
much oil are you carrying?

Its definitely not the dipstick, and I carry between 6-7 qts. Last
Aug, during annual, I installed an Airwolf Separator . . . because I
was blowing out all but 6 and I wanted to maintain at least 7. That
definitely isn't the problem, either (according to mechanics). Thanks
for input.

www.Rosspilot.com

Old December 1st 05, 12:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Give the engine a real good cleaning then run it up shut down pull
the cowl and check with an ultraviolet light to spot the source of the
oil

OK--will try the UV light . . . we didn't use that. They just used a
flashlight for visual inspection and fingers to feel for the wet spots
.. . .

www.Rosspilot.com

Old December 1st 05, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I don't know what to do about this . . . hoping the collective wisdom
here might have some ideas. For the last 3 months or so, after every
flight, there are small streaks of oil on the inside of the lower

Has a similar problem when the oil leak seem impossible to find or fix.
It turned out that the crankcase vent tube had been repositioned so that it
pressurized the crankcase in flight.

Once moved---no more leak.

Old December 1st 05, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Small streaks? SMALL STREAKS??? Man, you got one of the tight engines.
Most O300s drip more than they burn. The only reason Continental never got
into the computer business is that they couldn't figure out how to make the
computers leak oil.

I had a '64 for the better part of 15 years and never COULD completely
tighten that sucker up, even after I did a down-to-the-ground overhaul on
it.

Jim

oups.com...

Old December 1st 05, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

. my mechanics are now suggesting replacing all the push rod
tubes, but I get the feeling they are just guessing.
Any ideas?

crack in the crankcase, leaking at the through-bolts are options.

Kobra

Old December 2nd 05, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

At my most recent annual a few weeks ago, we tightened up the through bolts.

BIG diff in the quantity of oil drips.

Still have 'em, but drastically reduced.

Ignition problem? nauga Home Built 10 July 1st 04 02:15 AM
A problem in the Military ? Nick Jade Military Aviation 54 March 15th 04 07:59 PM
Fiberglass Cowl Problem Boelkowj Home Built 6 December 20th 03 02:08 PM
RF interference issue again (esp. for E Drucker and Jim Weir and other RF wizards) Snowbird Home Built 78 December 3rd 03 09:10 PM
Garmin fixes moving waypoint problem -- almost Jon Woellhaf Instrument Flight Rules 6 November 28th 03 05:29 PM