wiping snow off

Old December 14th 05, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default wiping snow off

For a standard trainer type airplane does anyone (who owns one not used
for training) go out to the airport when not flying just to wipe the
snow off? Does the weight of snow and/or ice damage surfaces, etc?
Old December 14th 05, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

wrote:

For a standard trainer type airplane does anyone (who owns one not used
for training) go out to the airport when not flying just to wipe the
snow off? Does the weight of snow and/or ice damage surfaces, etc?

I used to do this. Once we got about 9" of snow, followed by freezing rain,
which turned the top 2"+ of snow on the wings of my 150 into ice. Another storm
dumped 6" more snow on it. By the time I got to the airport, the gear was badly
splayed out, with the tires pressed nearly flat. After that, I'd be out there
with a broom as soon as I finished shoveling the walk at the house.

The 150 would always wind up on its tail as the snow built up on the horizontal
stabilizer. The tail tiedown ring was a piece of angle iron embedded in
concrete. One storm pushed that iron right through the lower rudder cap.

With the Maule, if I brushed the snow off while it was still snow, any ice would
usually melt off in the sun within a week. If I didn't do this, snowmelt would
seep down through the snow to the wing and freeze, forming an ice layer that
might take a month to go away.

Bit of advice. If you buy a tailwheel aircraft, get a tiedown that faces north.
The flight surfaces will be exposed to what little sun there is all day long.
Facing east is a good second-best. *Never* park one facing south in the winter.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.
Old December 14th 05, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

There's a perfect example of why you should wipe snow and ice off your
airplane sitting up at KSTE. So much ice and snow had accumulated on the
tail of a 172 there that the nose gear is completely off the ground and the
tail is laying on the ground frozen in a drift.

Think about what happens when the snow partially melts and then refreezes
INSIDE the airplane. Not everything melts and simply drains away.

Jim

Old December 14th 05, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jim Burns wrote:
: There's a perfect example of why you should wipe snow and ice off your
: airplane sitting up at KSTE. So much ice and snow had accumulated on the
: tail of a 172 there that the nose gear is completely off the ground and the
: tail is laying on the ground frozen in a drift.

Happens 1-2x per year even here in VA. We get 6-12" of snow and all the
Cessnas on the tie-down line have their their noses in the air and tails on the
ground. Pipers generally seem more nose-heavy so they usually stay put. Fortunately
it usually melts off in a day or two if you brush off the big stuff.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old December 14th 05, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Hangared aircraft can have snow load problems too if the hangar has big
wind leaks. It happened in a Dakota blizzard maybe 30 years ago.

Old December 14th 05, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"nrp" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hangared aircraft can have snow load problems too if the hangar has big
wind leaks. It happened in a Dakota blizzard maybe 30 years ago.

They can also have problems if the hanger roof falls in due to the snow.
Happened here, El Dorado Arkansas, a few years ago and crushed two
Citations.

Old December 14th 05, 10:16 PM
clipclip clipclip is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
For a standard trainer type airplane does anyone (who owns one not used
for training) go out to the airport when not flying just to wipe the
snow off? Does the weight of snow and/or ice damage surfaces, etc?
in general, snow and ice won't inflict damage to an aircraft. however, larger quantities of ice may damage spars or surfaces, although i have never hear of snow having that effect.

during the great ice storm of the northeast a few years ago a C-172 i used to own got covered with a few inches of solid ice. under the weight of the ice on the tail feathers, the 172 leaned on the tail skid, leaving the wings facing backwards a bit instead of directly down. the weight of the ice was sufficient to bend both wing's rear spars. (the wings supported a block of ice 4 inches thick by 4 feet by 30 odd feet - about 40 cubic feet of ice). snow OTOH would have slid off the wings and not inflicted any damage.

fv
Old December 14th 05, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

We got a heavy coating of ice here, last year about this time of year
(KOSU). Nearly every tricycle gear aircraft left outside was nose-up, tail
on the ground. It was so bad, some of the antennas on the bottoms of the
planes were icicled to the ground.

--
Hello, my name is Mike, and I am an airplane addict...

Lake effect snow Paul Tomblin Instrument Flight Rules 7 November 23rd 05 08:00 PM
DTW Snow Capt.Doug Piloting 6 April 28th 05 02:59 AM
Winter in Michigan Roger Owning 8 January 28th 05 06:24 PM
flying in snow Teacherjh Piloting 17 March 22nd 04 05:05 PM
Weight of snow on wings Michael Horowitz Home Built 10 January 4th 04 10:58 PM