what features are in the next generation of flight computers

Old February 1st 07, 06:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter[_1_]

Default what features are in the next generation of flight computers

I've been daydreaming about flight computers...

Not the ones we have now, but the next generation... I haven't seen any
significant step changes in the functions the current generation
provide...

So I started day dreaming... and I came up with a wish-list, (now some of
these are obviously possible and others are definitely dream-time
illusions)

- colour displays (properly daylight readable)
- FLARM(or ADS-B or whatever) functionality
- Lite-Transponders
- live bidirectional position datalinks for competitions or team flying
- some form of remote sensing for likely lift areas (infrared, radar)
- Full digital panel (vario, alt, asi, horizon)
- really detailed maps (even 3d maps, like google earth ?)
- anti-gravity... erm... running out of ideas :-)

What else would/could you add to the list... and have you an idea of how
to implement it...

Peter

Old February 1st 07, 09:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 1, 6:54 am, Peter wrote:
[...]

A feed reader thingy to update your airspace data and finish height
allowances with rule changes that have happened since the flight
started
Martin

Old February 1st 07, 11:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

Default what features are in the next generation of flight computers - Flarm.

Flarm functionability is available now. See
http://www.lxavionics.co.uk/flarm.htm , the UK agent for SwissFlarm and LX.

See also http://www.naviter.si/tour/seeyou-mobile-tour-10.php for SeeYou
mobile software for presenting Flarm information on a PDA.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

newsan.2007.02.01.06.54.07.157286@prosys...

Old February 1st 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Voice recognition. Able to accept and reply to voice commands. Input
and change flight declarations/turnpoints/turnpoint diameter/McCready
setting, etc all by voice commands. Voice command to radio to allow
frequence change and volume change. Anything that could reduce "head
down" time greatly.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old February 1st 07, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbusgb

I can't help but remembering back to the first days of the
introduction of GPS and then data loggers; the furore from the purists
that accompanied the 'death of proper navigation' and 'the reduction
in the pilots part in the actual flying'.

Now we are asking for voice recognition, colour and two way data
links. Boy have we bought in to it big time

Old February 1st 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Highly accurate real-time vector wind data.
Inertial variometry with instantaneous response and no gust sensitivity.
High speed internet access for weather updates and position downlinks.

Bill Daniels

Old February 1st 07, 07:42 PM
bagmaker bagmaker is offline
Senior Member

Location: Melbourne Australia

SOLAR POWER! How simple would that be?

Bagger
Old February 1st 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Verhulst

Peter wrote:

What else would/could you add to the list... and have you an idea of how
to implement it...

A soaring capable auto pilot so that I wouldn't have to do any of that
pesky flying. Auto-land would be nice too. :-)

Tony V.
http://home.comcast.net/~verhulst/SOARING
Old February 2nd 07, 09:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
J. Nieuwenhuize

"Peter" wrote in message

[...]

Except for that I'd like to see the real-time position of each glider
around (flarm, Mode-S?) including vertical speed so that you can see
lift ratios accurately...
A videocamera at the tail sounds nice in really tight thermals; those
basterds tends to hide at your six.
And what about an audio player? Screaming along @ 300 km/h with Carl
Orff sounds rather cool...