JPI Engine Data Analysis Questions

Old December 18th 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul kgyy

Default JPI Engine Data Analysis Questions

So, to you computer gurus out there -- now what? Should I be looking
for anything other than peaks and trends? Is there any parameter, or
combination of parameters to watch out for? What do you guys do with
your data?

On my IO360, max to min EGTs never have a range of more than 70-80 deg
in cruise, often less. On one flight this summer, I noticed that #4
EGT was running about 100 deg higher than normal. Checked both mags
in flight, sure enough, right mag a little rough. 10 minutes later,
everything was fine. Next flight, everything still fine.

I downloaded data from the last several flights and looked at the
data. Sure enough, every now and then #4 would jump up for a few
minutes, then resume normal operation.

I dropped it off at the shop and asked for a check of the plugs.
Turned out one plug wire wasn't entirely tight. That plug was fouled
from intermittent firing. Cleaned all plugs, all fine.

Without the JPI, I would never have noticed, as mag runup on the
ground was always fine.

So what you're looking for is "what's normal" so that you can spot
"this isn't normal".
Old December 18th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

That is great information to have available. One side remark, I've blown
out intake gaskets from backfires during bad mag checks. Now I usually wait
until I'm on the ground before checking the mags.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

Old December 18th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Without the JPI, I would never have noticed, as mag runup on the
ground was always fine.

Yep, the JPI is an awesome diagnostic tool. When we lost our #2
cylinder (due to lead fouling and a faulty spark plug wire) climbing
out of Titusville, Florida, it took only a glance to know precisely
what was happening.

Without the EDM-700, I wouldn't have had a clue, other than the rough-
running engine.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Q. Where to find engine data? Owe R. Home Built 3 April 3rd 07 03:18 AM
Engine Data Plate Micha³ Cebrowski Owning 3 April 12th 06 08:01 PM
Scientific Data on Engine Operations O. Sami Saydjari Owning 31 July 29th 05 04:38 PM
Engine Questions Bill A. Home Built 28 January 22nd 04 04:27 AM
Engine Oil Analysis help, please Michael Horowitz Home Built 7 October 26th 03 05:27 AM