Tying down a fiber glass ship.

Old January 26th 18, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Tying down a fiber glass ship.

This LS-3 was tied out at a contest in Chester SC in 1981. Large angle iron stakes were driven deeply in the ground (by me) and tied securely to the wing. Didn't help.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AvUur2HHyXlUhvl63Kh8fmSk4GypoQ

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AvUur2HHyXlUhvl7jYnQiqu9IWs9Kw

Guy Byars
Old January 26th 18, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

From Gren Seibels' book "After All," the 1981 Chester contest was hit by a tornado. All bets are off with that kind of weather. Hangars get destroyed, trailers and gliders go visit Dorothy in Oz.
Old January 26th 18, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kiwi User

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 04:00:29 -0800, gfbwinscore wrote:

This LS-3 was tied out at a contest in Chester SC in 1981. Large angle
iron stakes were driven deeply in the ground (by me) and tied securely
to the wing. Didn't help.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AvUur2HHyXlUhvl63Kh8fmSk4GypoQ

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AvUur2HHyXlUhvl7jYnQiqu9IWs9Kw

....and notice the trailer on its side in the hedge in the second shot.

If the wind that night could do that to a trailer then any glider that
was tied down the previous evening is unlikely to be in the same state
the following morning.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old January 26th 18, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Why is the glider's wheel retracted?Â* And how was that accomplished with
the glider sitting on its back?Â* Maybe it had just been rigged on the
trailer?Â* It appears the clam shell on the trailer is open. Of course
that could have happened when the trailer was tossed.

Recall the story of the very large Cobra trailer that was ripped off the
tow vehicle by a down burst and landed on one of the land out crew (he
survived).

On 1/26/2018 8:27 AM, Kiwi User wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 04:00:29 -0800, gfbwinscore wrote:

This LS-3 was tied out at a contest in Chester SC in 1981. Large angle
iron stakes were driven deeply in the ground (by me) and tied securely
to the wing. Didn't help.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AvUur2HHyXlUhvl63Kh8fmSk4GypoQ

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AvUur2HHyXlUhvl7jYnQiqu9IWs9Kw

...and notice the trailer on its side in the hedge in the second shot.

If the wind that night could do that to a trailer then any glider that
was tied down the previous evening is unlikely to be in the same state
the following morning.

--
Dan, 5J
Old January 26th 18, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

On Friday, January 26, 2018 at 9:14:15 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

Dan, The LS overcenter isn't always as positive as desired. I'm sure the violence of being flipped over caused the gear to retract.
Cheers,
Craig

Old January 26th 18, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dan that LS4 found itself up in the air. It thought it was flying and the dummy in the cockpit forgot to retract the gear, so it did it itself lol. "Idiot pilots I have to do everything for them".
Old January 26th 18, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Back in the day, the rubber-steel bond in the torsional springs at the top of the LS landing gear struts sometimes weakened/failed. The symptom was a fuselage that settled lower and lower to the ground over time. So many of us avoided leaving the glider assembled on the gear unless we intended to fly right away (especially with water ballast loaded).

I wasn't at Cordele that year (thank goodness!). Nor can I recall when I became aware of this problem and replaced my springs. But it's possible that the glider was tied out with the nose on the trailer's fuselage cradle and the wheel retracted. Not sure I'd have done it that way but it's another possibility given the quirky LS gear.

Chip Bearden
Old January 27th 18, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chicago Pilot

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 1:09:23 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Don’t have a hangar, so planning on tying down the glider, a standard cirrus, during the weekend. Has any one done this consistently. How bad did the gel coat deteriorate; any tips?

Here is my new tiedown product, good for trailers, planes and gliders. two to three times more holding strength than the claw product that everyone uses. Can be difficult to install in hard clay and desert hard pan soils. Works great on turf fields.
eztiedown.com
Old January 27th 18, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Those look pretty nice...

I've used auger anchors like these in a variety of soils from desert to midwestern turf:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...r?cm_vc=IOPDP1

5Z

The Glass Ship Frank Whiteley Soaring 1 January 24th 17 02:45 PM
refurbishing fiber glass Cobra top. GK[_2_] Soaring 2 July 1st 11 11:27 PM
Paperwork list for experimental glass ship John[_27_] Soaring 3 March 7th 10 05:13 PM
T6 Formation flight with Ship to Ship and ATC COMS - Video [email protected] Piloting 5 September 10th 09 06:09 PM
Tying down the bird david whitley Owning 17 September 23rd 03 03:57 AM