Do RAF Gazelles carry guns?

Old September 5th 03, 03:09 PM
Prowlus

Default Do RAF Gazelles carry guns?

just curious after reading the following article

http://www.earthfiles.com/news/news....ry=Environment

the witnesses said the helicopter appeared armed but i don't think the
RAF use gazelles for gunship roles do they?
Old September 5th 03, 03:47 PM
Greg Hennessy

On 5 Sep 2003 07:09:38 -0700, (Prowlus) wrote:

just curious after reading the following article

http://www.earthfiles.com/news/news....ry=Environment

the witnesses said the helicopter appeared armed

Well they would say that given the alleged camera man is a conspiracy nut
follower of David Icke.

greg

--
$ReplyAddress =~ s#\@.*$##; # Delete everything after the '@'
Alley Gator. With those hypnotic big green eyes
Old September 5th 03, 05:40 PM
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

On 5 Sep 2003 07:09:38 -0700, (Prowlus) wrote:

just curious after reading the following article

http://www.earthfiles.com/news/news....ry=Environment

the witnesses said the helicopter appeared armed but i don't think the
RAF use gazelles for gunship roles do they?

No, but Gazelles have been fitted with fixed and door-mounted GPMGs.
Air Marshall Kramer will be relieved to know I have experienced this
with my own eyes as DP-wearing self-loading cargo.

Gavin Bailey

--

Another user rings. "I need more space" he says.
"Well, why not move to Texas?", I ask. - The ******* Operator From Hell

Old September 5th 03, 06:38 PM
El Bastardo

On 5 Sep 2003 07:09:38 -0700, (Prowlus) wrote:

just curious after reading the following article

http://www.earthfiles.com/news/news....ry=Environment

the witnesses said the helicopter appeared armed but i don't think the
RAF use gazelles for gunship roles do they?

Sounds like an insurance scam to me. Not that the helicopter wasn't
there, but the cracks in the house....
Old September 6th 03, 02:54 AM
Guy Alcala

Big Dave wrote:

They were Army Gazelles & they were armed with TOW missiles plus at least
one of them had seen service during the 1982 Falklands conflict.

Gazelles with Tow? Lynx', sure.

Guy

Old September 6th 03, 02:55 AM
Peter Kemp

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 01:54:40 GMT, Guy Alcala
wrote:

Big Dave wrote:

They were Army Gazelles & they were armed with TOW missiles plus at least
one of them had seen service during the 1982 Falklands conflict.

Gazelles with Tow? Lynx', sure.

I know the French have armed Gazelles with HOT missiles in the past,
roof mounted sight and all, analogous with the AH.1 Lynxs, but I've
never heard of anything heavier than a pintle mounted GPMG on an AAC
Gazelle, and that in itself is very rare IIRC.

Peter Kemp
Old September 6th 03, 12:48 PM
John Halliwell

In article , Guy Alcala
writes
Big Dave wrote:

They were Army Gazelles & they were armed with TOW missiles plus at least
one of them had seen service during the 1982 Falklands conflict.

Gazelles with Tow? Lynx', sure.

'Falklands the Air War' has several pictures of Gazelles with SNEB packs
on each side (looks like 6 rockets per pack). Apparently most Gazelles
were so fitted but it sounds like none actually fired anything. No
mention of anything else.

Scouts were fitted with SS.11 missiles (which I assume were wire-
guided?).

--
John
Old September 6th 03, 10:22 PM
Nele_VII

wrote:

Big Dave wrote:

They were Army Gazelles & they were armed with TOW missiles plus at

least
one of them had seen service during the 1982 Falklands conflict.

Gazelles with Tow? Lynx', sure.

I know the French have armed Gazelles with HOT missiles in the past,
roof mounted sight and all, analogous with the AH.1 Lynxs, but I've
never heard of anything heavier than a pintle mounted GPMG on an AAC
Gazelle, and that in itself is very rare IIRC.

Peter Kemp

Yugoslav SA 342 Gazelles carry FOUR "maljutka" (Sagger?) improved missiles
(CLOS instead of the manual guidance). It also carries two SA-7 AA missiles.

Nele

NULLA ROSA SINE SPINA

Old September 7th 03, 05:52 PM
Simon Robbins

"Prowlus" wrote in message
om...
the witnesses said the helicopter appeared armed but i don't think the
RAF use gazelles for gunship roles do they?

No. But didn't the LAPD paint their's blue and put a great big Gatling gun
on the front? :^)

Si