Gliding risk....

Old November 1st 19, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bret Hess

Default Gliding risk....

JFitch, I'm with you. When you're older than 50, the risk of dying in gliders per year gets down into the noise compared to dying of cancer, heart disease, etc. Conclusion: soaring is appropriately an older man's sport .
Old November 2nd 19, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

I took up gliding when I gave up motorbikes, too many near misses on bikes, no near misses so far in gliders. If I die in a glider at least it will be my fault, not some bozo in a car doing a U turn. Go figure.
Old November 2nd 19, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

On Wednesday, October 30, 2019 at 8:54:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I quit reading when the data presented listed motorcycling safer than ‘gliding’. By 100%.
Hmmm.....don’t think so.

R,

About motorcycling versus gliding, and the former being safer, but does not seem to be that way. It is difficult not to quickly compare things without using apples to apples. Been there, done that.

I am no statistician but there are two things that spring to mind;

- How many motorcyclists are there versus glider pilots? Certainly many more.
- How many motorcycle trips (or miles) are taken in a year versus glider flights? Certainly many more.

So even if there are many more motorcycle fatalities than glider fatalities the number of FATALITIES PER TRIP (or MILE) are STATISTICALLY less for motorcyclists. Thus motorcycling is considered "safer". Hmmm, indeed.

How about car travel? Accidents are very common and we have all seen them and maybe even been in a few. On the other hand very, very few of us has even SEEN a glider accident or, thankfully, been in one. So it would SEEM that car travel is much more dangerous. Not so STATISTICALLY. There are immensely more car trips (or miles) than other forms of transportation (except airline per passenger mile) so car travel is STATISTICALLY safer than everything else.

But I would rather fly a glider than drive a car.

"Not a Stat Guy" John
Old November 4th 19, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

Most good analysis try to compare activities hour for hour. So how risky is an hour of motorcycle riding vs an hour of Gliding. This is done to as much as possible eliminate the issues pointed out about the frequency of the activity or the number of people doing it.

Most of the analysis I have done and observed seem to indicate the GA Aviation over all is has about the same risk as riding a motorcycle hour per hour. Gliders seem to be a bit worse. But as with motorcycles there are riskier kinds of activities that get lumped into the over all numbers like Low thermalling, flying in bad weather, Low finishes. So even with the overall number you can individually improve your odds depending on what kinds of risks you are willing to accept.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL
Old November 4th 19, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan Foster

On Wednesday, October 30, 2019 at 6:49:22 PM UTC-6, wrote:
For those who haven’t seen it....

https://chessintheair.com/the-risk-o...-what-we-love/

I think the reactions to this article is super interesting. I posted this to my local hang gliding/paragliding club and the reactions were super similar to what has been posted here.

If we read this and take exception with which sport is riskier, I feel we are missing the point. My guess is most of us participate in several of these "risky" activities. The real question we should be asking is, "HOW CAN I BE SAFER AND MAKE BETTER DECISIONS?".

Old November 4th 19, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

"HOW CAN I BE SAFER AND MAKE BETTER DECISIONS?" Drink less booze don't smoke pot, and stay home on the couch! I forgot look both ways before you cross the street. Anything that is affected by gravity (and some things that aren't) has risk. Like gambling, only gamble what you're willing to loose.

Old November 4th 19, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, November 4, 2019 at 7:30:24 AM UTC-8, Glidergeek wrote:
"HOW CAN I BE SAFER AND MAKE BETTER DECISIONS?" Drink less booze don't smoke pot, and stay home on the couch! I forgot look both ways before you cross the street. Anything that is affected by gravity (and some things that aren't) has risk. Like gambling, only gamble what you're willing to loose.

Mr. Foster, here I think we have exhibit A. Good luck in your soaring career GliderGeek...
Old November 4th 19, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Old November 4th 19, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, November 4, 2019 at 7:30:24 AM UTC-8, Glidergeek wrote:
"HOW CAN I BE SAFER AND MAKE BETTER DECISIONS?" Drink less booze don't smoke pot, and stay home on the couch! I forgot look both ways before you cross the street. Anything that is affected by gravity (and some things that aren't) has risk. Like gambling, only gamble what you're willing to loose.

I'll instead avoid the personal attack. I did not expect the thread to so quickly and thoroughly support Mr. Foster's idea...
Old November 5th 19, 07:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Monday, November 4, 2019 at 9:42:27 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Monday, November 4, 2019 at 7:30:24 AM UTC-8, Glidergeek wrote:
"HOW CAN I BE SAFER AND MAKE BETTER DECISIONS?" Drink less booze don't smoke pot, and stay home on the couch! I forgot look both ways before you cross the street. Anything that is affected by gravity (and some things that aren't) has risk. Like gambling, only gamble what you're willing to loose.

I'll instead avoid the personal attack. I did not expect the thread to so quickly and thoroughly support Mr. Foster's idea...

This is one of the DUMBEST threads I have followed - if you want something even MORE DANGEROUS try wing suiting in Norway!