FSDO enforcement- GPS before effective date - which date to put in Aircraft Log for Part 43?

Old March 14th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default FSDO enforcement- GPS before effective date - which date toput in Aircraft Log for Part 43?

On 03/14/06 10:11, Peter R. wrote:
Mark Hansen wrote:

Is the GPS database going to expire and switch during this
flight?

Whoops, I missed this. It is not the GPS database expiring during flight,
but rather it is the GPS database *becoming current* during flight that
results in a power-off, restart GPS message.

Be aware of the effective date of the database when putting a new card in
the KLN94.

I assumed these were the same date. I guess what I *meant* was the point
when the unit will need to switch over, whatever that is for the particular
unit being used.

Still ... good story and good food for thought - thanks,

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old March 14th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Mark Hansen wrote:

Right. I wasn't criticizing ... sorry if I came across that way. I was only
thinking that getting vectors while working out the details might have
lessened any pucker factor that may have been involved.

Not necessary. I didn't take your comment as criticism. I am just
exercising my newly-learned skill of being direct and to the point.

--
Peter
Old March 14th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

FWIW, you can put the new card in the KLN-94 before the effective date.
The old data will be used until the
effective date. If you are using it at 0000 UTC on the effective date
(6pm CST) it will give you a message,
telling you to power off and back on to use the new data.

Which, IMO, stinks.

I was flying a night, IFR flight over Washington, DC, airspace, being
guided by GPS and the autopilot. Before you point it out: Yes, I got
caught with my pants down. I didn't have a current VOR tuned as a backup.

Well, in the case I was referring to, my KLN04 did not force me to
reboot at that moment, it just was letting me know that I would need to
reboot eventually to use the new cycle's data. It continued tracking
and using the old data just fine in the mean time.

Did yours actually force you to reboot at that moment? What kind of
GPS is it?

Cheers,
John

Old March 14th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Seems like a good pre-flight check item - I'm always happy to add new check
list items ;-) - Is the GPS database going to expire and switch during this
flight?

And if the answer is yes, then what?

Cheers,
John

Old March 14th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Oops, I meant KLN94, and I see elsewhere in the thread that yours is
the same.

John

Old March 14th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

John Clonts wrote:

Did yours actually force you to reboot at that moment? What kind of
GPS is it?

It was a B/K KLN94 (that is what we are discussing, right?) and this was
perhaps three years ago. Yes, the only option I recall was to reboot.

Have there been software updates since then that may have addressed this?
I wouldn't know since it has been about 2 1/2 years since I flew with that
brand and model GPS.

--
Peter
Old March 14th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On 03/14/06 13:34, John Clonts wrote:
Seems like a good pre-flight check item - I'm always happy to add new check
list items ;-) - Is the GPS database going to expire and switch during this
flight?

And if the answer is yes, then what?

Be prepared for it?

I suppose you'll say that you should always be prepared for any device
to go TU during the flight, and you'd be right. But here is a case where
you can know in advance that it's going to happen, and be ready for it
such that there is no surprise.

Seems like a good idea to me.

Cheers,
John

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old March 15th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Have there been software updates since then that may have addressed this?
I wouldn't know since it has been about 2 1/2 years since I flew with that
brand and model GPS.

Yes, there has been a major software upgrade a year or two ago. It
appears they have eliminated that particular "gotcha" (of requiring an
immediate reboot when the new cycle becomes effective).

Cheers,
John

Old March 15th 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Was this a dealer service update, or something that happens with
a flash card database update?

It was a dealer service update which involved physically swapping out
an internal ROM. It resulted in an upgrade to "ORS 3". The most
visible change we noticed after the upgrade was the depiction of
holding patterns and PT barbs on the approaches. The manual lists the
changes in that revision, but interestingly, doesn't mention the one
that we're discussing here...

Cheers,
John