A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Club Procedures for Late Day XC Flights

Old April 6th 18, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Default Club Procedures for Late Day XC Flights

Fitch and others during liars dice?!?!
Could be.
Old June 6th 18, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Roy,

I run into this often here in Alaska. So when I'm soaring on Wednesday alone. I file an FAA VFR flight plan and make position reports on the RCO's. Kinda old school.

I know they are watching out for me when I get the phone call....Are you planning to close your flight plan? : )

Jeff
Old June 7th 18, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]
external usenet poster

In recent years (5-10 years or so), I've taken up this habit when flying cross country away from my home field, Mountain Valley Airport, Tehachapi, CA. First I try to arrange a "back up crew" before take off. But, since I have a lot of friends on the airport I do this.

Fill out a 3x5 card with my name, aircraft N number, call sign, emergency contacts, backup crew and mobile numbers, flight intentions. For the last 10-15 years, I also carry a Satellite tracker (latest one is a Garmin InReach) with the shared web link that is also on the 3x5 card.

So if I don't come back and the inevitable "... what happened to "WX"..." comes up, people on the airport will find my car keys in the console (trailer hooked up) with a 3x6 card prominently displayed.

Walt Rogers WX

Old June 7th 18, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Blue Whale
external usenet poster

I belong to the same club as Roy (GBSC) and I think the issue is not so much what the policy should be (pretty obvious that one or two of the duty crew must stay until all are accounted for), but rather that the club just hasn't articulated the need for that. On any given day most of the duty crew are not x-country pilots, they are students, juniors, or entry-level pilots, with the exception of the duty field officer in charge. So, let the crew go home and make the rule simple, "the duty officer, or a qualified designee, stays until the last ship is accounted for."
Old June 8th 18, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy
external usenet poster

I think Walts WX, procedure is a good one, and I think I'm going to start doing the same thing.
Simple, easy to do and all the info you need in one spot.
Remember to leave you vehicle with a full tank of full also helps.