Tost release and chain links

Old April 7th 18, 07:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Default Tost release and chain links

Thanks for all responses. Seeing how easily a chain link can slip of the Tost release I find it hard to believe that anyone would tow with a chain link.
My concern was more from the fact that my Tost hook seem to have more freedom than other Tost hooks, enough to make the difference on the ground with a chain link but not enough freedom for a Tost ring to slip through.

Ramy
Old April 7th 18, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I seem to remember a similar thread that mentioned minimum diameter of the Tost ring. Not the overall size, but the diameter of the metal that is captured by the release itself. The recommendation was to check the ring with calipers or a micrometer to make sure that the ring had not worn down to the point that it could be inadvertently pulled out of the mechanism. I have not been able to find reference to a minimum size. Anybody know the specification?
Old April 7th 18, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Bick (ZN7)

http://wingsandwheels.com/tost-double-tow-rings.html
Old April 7th 18, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I seem to recall that back in the '80s Tost rings cost that much, if not
more.Â* A bargain by today's standards!

I also recall lots of folks using chain links on ground handling ropes
to move their gliders around on the airport.Â* This was before the wide
spread use of tow bars.Â* My partner and I used a Tost ring on our ground
handling rope.

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 7th 18, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ramy,
If the effort to pull the release, seems to be less, you may have a broken spring. There are two return springs, one on each side of the Tost release. For ground towing, I'd get a chain that measures 1/4" thick X 1" X 1.5".............the cost of new Tost rings ($44.00) means they are used forever........I remember seeing one that was older than dirt and had failed at 2 places, 180 degrees apart.
Hope this helps,
JJ
Old April 7th 18, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Of course, there is the reverse problem - I used to fly at an operation that did a lot of commercial rides with a fleet that included several 2-33s and G-103/ASK-21s, and supported a pretty large fleet of private owners (mostly Tost-equipped). They were using the Tost links on the 2-33s to save time finding and switching straws with the correct links - they used the large ring on the Schweizer release arm. It kinda fit, and WTF, it's a Schweizer, right?. One day while giving a ride from the back seat of a 2-33 I got to release altitude and found that the release was completely jammed - no movement at all. No radio, of course, so I moved out to the left and rocked my wings, at which point the tow pilot released his end. As soon as the rope tension was released, my release un-jammed and the rope disappeared into the desert never to be found again.

After the flight we figured that sometime during the flight (probably bumping along during takeoff) the small ring had flipped back and over the release arm, so now the entire pull force of the tow was keeping that arm from moving aft and releasing the rope! Of course, as soon as the rope was released by the tow pilot, it moved back in the release, the small ring slipped off the arm, and the hook back released as designed.

Shortly after that incident a bunch of new straws with proper Schweizer tow rings appeared and were used from then on.

TLR Use the right tow link for the right tow release!

Kirk
66
Old April 12th 18, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

I am somewhat amazed that nobody in this thread has pointed out the
mechanical design elements in the TOST release system. In addition to
the strength of the steel without the welds, the two different sized links

are designed to work with the Tost release so that the big ring rides on
the release outer ring, thus making sure that no matter what angle the
rope is being pulled at, the geometry is such that the smaller ring is
always pulling straight out and thus can't ever jam the hook due to side
or other loads. Two same sized chain links just can't accomplish this.
The two same sized chain links defeat the safeties that Tost has built
into their release system. Not using the approved links for flight
operations is just dumb and dangerous. I'd bet that there would also
be pretty big legal ramifications if there were an accident where a
release issue was at least a contributing factor, and the investigators
found out that the glider was not being operated according to the
glider/TOST operating manual specifications.

In our club, we have TOST links on our ropes. If someone wants to fly
the 1-26, we have a single Schweizer ring on a short rope weak-link /
pig-tail which we thread onto the larger TOST ring for temporary use.

RO

TOST Release Failure - Two Uncommanded Release's [email protected] Soaring 11 October 13th 12 10:23 AM
Anyone have a Tost release? noel.wade Soaring 5 June 10th 10 04:36 AM
FS Tost E85 Release scooter Soaring 0 March 7th 06 03:31 AM
FS Tost E85 Release scooter Soaring 0 November 22nd 05 02:11 AM
Tost release on L-19? Roy Bourgeois Soaring 2 November 29th 04 11:24 PM