Here's One for KS

Old October 4th 03, 04:56 PM
Chris OCallaghan

Default Here's One for KS

Karl,

Playing verbal tennis with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, Hamlet says:

"I am but mad north-north-west: when the wind is
southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw."

Most Shakespeare scholars get hung up on "handsaw," finding the
hardware reference a non-sequitor. But later in the play, Hamlet
admonishes a troop of actors...

"Nor do not saw the air
too much with your hand, thus, but use all gently;"

Shakespeare uses many falconry allusions. At the end of a NNW day on
the ridge, there's generally a lot of hand sawing going on. Pretty
cool coincidence that I guy who never dreamed of ridge soaring would
"get it" so well.

Great flying with you on Thursday. Coming out of the snow showers and
seeing you laying the thread to lead us home was priceless. Sometimes
it pays to be an eastern pilot, in a way that's hard to make western
pilots understand. Especially when you have a bald eagle saluting your
efforts at the end of the day.

Tally-ho!

OC
Old October 7th 03, 10:34 PM
David Starer

Two more definitions: hawk - to spit, which is what you might do in a fit of
frustration when the wind is NNW against the Appalachians, and hawk - to
offer for sale, which is what you might do with your glider if the NNW-erly
lasts too long!

Dave

"Chris OCallaghan" wrote in message
om...
As in laying it on thick. I like that too. Very appropriate for R&G. I
also like the def. "a person who preys on others." Again, apt in the
case of R&G.

But I'll go with the falconry metaphor. Dramatic license.

When the wind blows NNW against the Appalachians, anything seems
possible. But when the winds turn southerly, our eyes narrow just a
bit.

"David Starer" wrote in message

t...
Chris,

A hawk is also the name for the flat spatula-like tool used by

plasterers to
spread and smooth plaster onto a wall. So the hardware reference isn't

as
obscure as it might seem.

David Starer

Old October 8th 03, 01:43 PM
Andy Durbin

"David Starer" wrote in message t...
Chris,

A hawk is also the name for the flat spatula-like tool used by plasterers to
spread and smooth plaster onto a wall. So the hardware reference isn't as
obscure as it might seem.

I think you'll find the plasterer's hawk is the small wooden or steel
hand held platform that holds the muck before it is applied. For a
right handed plasterer the hawk is held in the left hand and the
trowel, or float if finishing, is held in the right.

Andy (GY)

Old October 8th 03, 07:44 PM
Nyal Williams

At 16:00 04 October 2003, Chris Ocallaghan wrote:
[...]

Q. Is a non-sequitor a person who uses non-sequiturs?

Old October 9th 03, 06:31 AM
Martin Eiler

Perhaps, in place of non-sequitor
he would be happier acknowledged as
non-passerine...
a King fisher.... for Shakespeare or
a raven for Poe? Not singing the song...

Linking the delight of flight with the darkness
of some tales...... nevermore.

Yet, flight inspires other magnificent literature.
Segue, anyone? Or synectics?
(English can be practiced in North America.)

Cindy B

Old October 9th 03, 10:46 PM
Chris OCallaghan

There's no spell check on my newreader, so I let the occasional
phonetic spelling slip by (I never proof read newsgroup postings).
Apologies for jarring post-Enlightenment sensibilities. Spelling was,
after all, much more flexible at the turn of the 16th century.