VOTE ...HTML or Plain Text???

Old July 24th 03, 05:24 AM
Tony Roberts

Has the time come for HTML in the newsgroup(s)?

No.
I use a fast computer with high speed access in one location,
and an old low memory computer with slow access in another. The memory is
so low I don't even have Netscape installed, but then I don't need it -
it's just for email and newsgroups, and I am happy to keep it that way, so
no thanks, I don't want to receive HTML posts here

--
Tony Roberts (tonyroberts@ remove shaw.ca)
PP-ASEL

Old July 24th 03, 08:48 PM
Brien K. Meehan

"Montblack" wrote in message
.. .
Has the time come for HTML in the newsgroup(s)?

Troll.

Old July 24th 03, 10:56 PM
Montblack

(Brien K. Meehan wrote)
Troll.

(First part of my thread opener)
I was surprised by the acceptance of an HTML post in another thread. I,

for
one, could read the HTML fine. Others said the same thing.

Has the time come for HTML in the newsgroup(s)?

My (change is bad - we fear change) vote is no HTML ... for now.

Oh wait, Troll was humor. I love a dry wit.

....Troll?

Droll Brien, very droll. (That's a good thing)

--
Montblack

Old July 25th 03, 12:52 AM
Gilan

My vote is for HTML. I have no problem with text only news groups or I
wouldn't read this one but I do find some really great groups that allow
HTML on Yahoo.
--
Have a good day and stay out of the trees!
See ya on Sport Aircraft group

Private Pilot in 10 days
http://www.perfectplanes.com

Join "The Ultralight & Experimental Aircraft SiteRing"
http://pub27.bravenet.com/sitering/a...num=2286862090

"Montblack" wrote ...
I was surprised by the acceptance of an HTML post in another thread. I,

for
one, could read the HTML fine. Others said the same thing.

Has the time come for HTML in the newsgroup(s)?

My (change is bad - we fear change) vote is no HTML ... for now.

I'm being fuddy-duddy with my reason: I get bombarded with "wow" media

all
day. It's a nice change of pace to read the ol' newsgroups in a plain text
format.

I have no clue what technical problems HTML causes for some other

newsgroup
participants.

Your vote on HTML.....?

--
Montblack

Old July 26th 03, 12:22 PM
Bob Noel

In article , "Kiwi Jet Jock"
wrote:

I have no clue what technical problems HTML causes for some other

newsgroup
participants.

Your vote on HTML.....?

And whilst on the subject, I wish more folks would TOP POST for simple
replies.

simple reply to what?

and would it be too much effort to trim your "simple" reply?

--
Bob Noel
Old July 26th 03, 12:33 PM
Martin Hotze

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:06:24 -0700, Peter Duniho wrote:

My vote is for HTML.

Your vote doesn't count, since you top-post and don't trim any of the quoted
text.

that's what I just read in another group re top-posting:

||| Posting at the top because that's where the cursor happened to be
||| is like ****ting in your pants because that's where your asshole
||| happened to be.

#m
--
http://www.usawatch.org/ http://www.alternet.org/

John Gilmo I was ejected from a plane for wearing
"Suspected Terrorist" button http://www.politechbot.com/p-04973.html
Old July 27th 03, 12:24 AM
Peter Duniho

"Kiwi Jet Jock" wrote in message
And whilst on the subject, I wish more folks would TOP POST for simple
replies.

And I wish people would stop leaving quoted the entire text of the message
to which they are replying.

But we don't always get what we want, do we?

Old July 28th 03, 06:08 PM
Gig Giacona

Yahoo groups aren't USENET. When you post a message on USENET it has to sit
on MANY servers not just Yahoo's and the groups subscribers' mail servers.
There is a time and a place for HTML and the time is when you can't get the
point across any other way and the place is on web sites and if you must
personal e-mail.

This message is ~1k in size. The same message, if I were to send it in HTML
would be ~3k.

Do the math.

Old July 31st 03, 02:56 AM
Roger Halstead

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:20:40 -0500, Doug Carter
wrote:

John T wrote:

Disabling HTML in your email client prevents this from happening since none
of the HTML tags - like IMG - are interpreted.

Or disable image loading.

Better to disable HTML.
With HTML the system can run any number of apps and Macros without
user intervention. Couple that with a virus or worm that normally
tricks the user into running it and you end up with an "auto run"
virus or worm just by highlighting the header to read the message.

OTOH it can send you to a malicious site which can mess with your
computer. It can upload and download files as well.

So unless you take precautions (disabling images, java, macros, and
links) reading messages in HTML can be very hazardous to your
computers health.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)
Old July 31st 03, 03:01 AM
Roger Halstead

On 23 Jul 2003 08:12:06 -0500, "Steve House"
wrote:

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Montblack"

said:
Has the time come for HTML in the newsgroup(s)?

No. Newsgroups are about information, not about fancy formatting.

True, except that tabular information such as in the message this thread was
triggered by is more clearly communicated in a true table rather than a
"psuedo-table" created with space or tab characters that get rearranged by
the news reader. If "fancy formatting" enhances the information transfer
then by all means go for it. For example there was is a recent thread on
the pin-outs of an Isocom intercom. Instead of a manually typed text list
of the pin assignments, wouldn't an image of the schematic embedded in an
HTML message communicate more information more clearly and with less chance
of error? In a case like that it seems to me that "fancy formatting" gives
rise to more information.

In the above case you put the table up on a web page, or PDF and link
to it. That way the newsgroup users can view the table if they wish.

Just like aircraft photos you want to show...You either post them to
the binaries group with a note here, or you put them up on a page
which you link to in the post.