HDR Discussion - Checkmates - Original Images 0, -1, +1

Old June 22nd 11, 01:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Tom[_8_]

Default HDR Discussion - Checkmates - Original Images 0, -1, +1

Here are the originals used to make the HDR image. They are unmodified except for
sizing, stripping the exif and adding it as text to the visual.

Sorry about the file size of the message...

Tom

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6540.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	48800  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6541.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	48801  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6542.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	48802
Old June 22nd 11, 02:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Indrek[_2_]

"Tom" wrote in message
Here are the originals used to make the HDR image. They are unmodified
except for
sizing, stripping the exif and adding it as text to the visual.

Sorry about the file size of the message...

Tom

Thanks Tom.

For this HDR the fact that you changed both the shutter speed and aperture
did not have an adverse effect on depth of field because you were far enough
away from the subject. Normally I would keep the aperture constant and just
vary the shutter speed.

Cheers,

Indrek Aavisto

--
Criticism is easy; achievement is difficult W.S. Churchill

Old June 22nd 11, 03:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-06-21 17:57:50 -0700, Tom said:

Here are the originals used to make the HDR image. They are unmodified
except for
sizing, stripping the exif and adding it as text to the visual.

Sorry about the file size of the message...

Tom

image

image

image

I am a little baffled as to why you chose to adjust both shutter speed
and f/stop to obtain your HDR bracketed set.
I normally find that shooting aperture priority and a 3 to 5 shot
bracketed series results in a consistent set without DOF issues to deal
with in the HDR processing.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Old June 22nd 11, 11:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Tom[_8_]

Actually the whole process is automated..."yikes" what will they think of next!

You set the bracketing for the amount of step desired (1/3, 2/3, 1, etc..), put the
camera in continuous shooting mode, frame and shoot.

Could've put the camera in manual but didn't. Same results...

Tom

Old June 22nd 11, 01:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-06-22 03:39:05 -0700, Tom said:

Actually the whole process is automated..."yikes" what will they think of next!

You set the bracketing for the amount of step desired (1/3, 2/3, 1,
etc..), put the camera in continuous shooting mode, frame and shoot.

Could've put the camera in manual but didn't. Same results...

Tom

In that case, did you have the camera in "P" mode as opposed to "Av"
for your 5D?

With my D300s I usually shoot aperture priority, and when shooting a 3,
5, 7, or 9 shot HDR series, also with auto-bracketing, aperture remains
constant.

I guess if I shot in "P" mode I would have similar results to yours.

Here is one of my HDR shots, a 5 exposure bracket -1.4; -0.7; 0; +0.7; +1.4.
All shot at a constant f/4, and a comparison with the unadjusted shot.
I normally try to shoot HDR to reveal detail in shadows when needed.

On 2011-06-21 17:57:50 -0700, Tom said:

[...]

Name:	DSC_1711_HDRw.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	48804  Click image for larger version

Name:	HDR-Comp-02w.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	48805
Old June 22nd 11, 06:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Canuck[_10_]

"Savageduck" wrote in message

Here is one of my HDR shots, a 5 exposure bracket -1.4; -0.7; 0; +0.7; +1.4.
All shot at a constant f/4, and a comparison with the unadjusted shot.
I normally try to shoot HDR to reveal detail in shadows when needed.

Very nicely done. Great image!

Nick

Old June 22nd 11, 07:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Tom[_8_]

Hi - Nice development of those jugs....

It was probably in "P" at the time...and you're right on...had I run "Av" things
would've probably remained constant through the process....

I guess you could compare it to using a computer...there's always a couple of
different ways of doing things!

Tom