Melbourne FL airport -- approach

Old December 31st 05, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Melbourne FL airport -- approach

"Brien K. Meehan" wrote:
Every pilot is trained on how to deal with a number of common optical
illusions.

What are some other aviation optical illusions?
Old December 31st 05, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Tim923 wrote:

What are some other aviation optical illusions?

Here's a couple --

There's a phenomenon at night called the "black hole" approach. If all you can
see are the runway lights, it appears that you're higher than you actually are.

Distant lights on the ground often create a "false horizon" at night.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.
Old December 31st 05, 05:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"George Patterson" wrote in message

There's a phenomenon at night called the "black hole" approach. If all you
can see are the runway lights, it appears that you're higher than you
actually are.

And this runway foreshortening can be severly accentuated by rain on the
windshield. (ref PanAm at Pago Pago)

Old December 31st 05, 05:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Tim923" wrote in message
"Brien K. Meehan" wrote:
Every pilot is trained on how to deal with a number of common optical
illusions.

What are some other aviation optical illusions?

- Runway Width
- Runway / Terrain Slope
- Distance / Depth Perception due to haze, fog or rain
- Black Hole
- Featurless Terrain
- False Horizon
- Ground Light Patterns
- Autokenesis

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
AZ Cloudbusters
Chandler, AZ

Old December 31st 05, 11:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Sloped runways, black hole and white out.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

Old January 1st 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"George Patterson" wrote in message news:kFotf.2261$uv.1145@trnddc06...
Distant lights on the ground often create a "false horizon" at night.

I was flying back to Houston from Oshkosh a few years ago... I was somewhere
over Arkansas at the time... The lights on the ground gave me the impression
that there might be mountains around there... I was on flight following at
the time, so I asked what the maximum height of the Ozarks were around
there... The controller informed me that I was nowhere near the Ozarks and
there was no mountains that would be at my altitude... Very strange visual
effect...

Old January 1st 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On more than one occasion, on a moonless night, over
sparsely populated areas, with lots of stars in the sky and
a similar number of lights on the ground, with those lights
reflecting on the windshield, you can lose all visual sense
of right side up unless you fly by the instruments. This
was a real problem on night coming out eastbound from Denver
Stapleton (long time ago, single pilot demo flight in a
pre-84 P68 Baron). It was totally clear, visibility was
over 100 miles and even though I was IFR, I was being given
traffic at all altitudes, some was participating, some had
transponders and encoding, some didn't. I tried to hand fly
the departure for about 3 or 4 minutes. It was very
difficult, since ATC was forcing me to look outside and
there was nothing outside to see but aircraft lights above,
below and level, all moving. Finally learned to turn the
autopilot ON and let it do the flying while I looked 90% of
the time for the traffic, and monitored the AP with quick
glances.

You get the same loss of visual reference over water with
just a few stars and boats on the water. [JFKjr may have had
this problem]

There is at least one area in NW Arkansas that has a radio
warning about rising terrain.

--
Merry Christmas
Have a Safe and Happy New Year

Old January 1st 06, 05:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

P58 Baron
"Jim Macklin" wrote
in message news:t%Jtf.38733$QW2.32700@dukeread08...
| On more than one occasion, on a moonless night, over
| sparsely populated areas, with lots of stars in the sky
and
| a similar number of lights on the ground, with those
lights
| reflecting on the windshield, you can lose all visual
sense
| of right side up unless you fly by the instruments. This
| was a real problem on night coming out eastbound from
Denver
| Stapleton (long time ago, single pilot demo flight in a
| pre-84 P68 Baron). It was totally clear, visibility was
| over 100 miles and even though I was IFR, I was being
given
| traffic at all altitudes, some was participating, some had
| transponders and encoding, some didn't. I tried to hand
fly
| the departure for about 3 or 4 minutes. It was very
| difficult, since ATC was forcing me to look outside and
| there was nothing outside to see but aircraft lights
above,
| below and level, all moving. Finally learned to turn the
| autopilot ON and let it do the flying while I looked 90%
of
| the time for the traffic, and monitored the AP with quick
| glances.
|
| You get the same loss of visual reference over water with
| just a few stars and boats on the water. [JFKjr may have
had
| this problem]
|
| There is at least one area in NW Arkansas that has a radio
| warning about rising terrain.
|

| --
| Merry Christmas
| Have a Safe and Happy New Year
| Live Long and Prosper
| Jim Macklin
| "Grumman-581"
wrote

Old January 1st 06, 09:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message news:t%Jtf.38733$QW2.32700@dukeread08...
There is at least one area in NW Arkansas that has a radio
warning about rising terrain.

Looking back at it, I was well above even the highest mountain in the state
even if there was a 1000 ft tower on top of it... The highest point in the
state is less than 3000 ft MSL... The illusion was definitely there
though... Enough so that even after ATC told me that I didn't have anything
to worry about, I still paid quite a bit of attention to see if the lights
were getting closer... Kind of wierd how that works out sometimes...

Old January 1st 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The eye just gathers light, the mind sees.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Grumman-581" wrote