relay help for my light bar on my truck can anyone help

Old February 5th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default relay help for my light bar on my truck can anyone help

well I have a semi truck and a light bar with 12 marker lights in the
bumper I am going to wire them 6 and 6 so when I turn on the turn
signal they flash the right way 6 will flash right and 6 will flash
left I would like to go further and make them flash in a seires
1,2,3,4,5,6, how do I do this. what relays do i need and or anything
eles I would like them to start to flash in the center at number 6 and
flash one at a time down to 1 and work there way to the out side of
the bar so it would be 1,2,3,4,5,6 6,5,4,3,2,1,and start over again.

left side right side

Old February 5th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote in message
oups.com...
well I have a semi truck and a light bar with 12 marker lights in the
bumper I am going to wire them 6 and 6 so when I turn on the turn
signal they flash the right way 6 will flash right and 6 will flash
left I would like to go further and make them flash in a seires
1,2,3,4,5,6, how do I do this. what relays do i need and or anything
eles I would like them to start to flash in the center at number 6 and
flash one at a time down to 1 and work there way to the out side of
the bar so it would be 1,2,3,4,5,6 6,5,4,3,2,1,and start over again.

left side right side

I'd try alt.electronics group. they'd give you more answers and possibly an
off the shelf solution

Old February 5th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

karel wrote:

"Richard Lamb" schreef in bericht
link.net...

wrote:

well I have a semi truck and a light bar with 12 marker lights in the
bumper I am going to wire them 6 and 6 so when I turn on the turn
signal they flash the right way 6 will flash right and 6 will flash
left I would like to go further and make them flash in a seires
1,2,3,4,5,6, how do I do this. what relays do i need and or anything
eles I would like them to start to flash in the center at number 6 and
flash one at a time down to 1 and work there way to the out side of
the bar so it would be 1,2,3,4,5,6 6,5,4,3,2,1,and start over again.

left side right side

Something with that many options would be easiest done with a micro
processor and a dozen solid state relays.

Bit of overkill, I should think.
And not Jim's approach either.

Otherwise, it's gonna get ugly with a bunch of TTL or CMOS LSI chips.

Ugly? One CD4017 as a counter with the decoder built in,
and a 555 as a free running clock oscillator.
Then for each lamp a mosfet (much more reliable than a relay,
and less expensive than solid state relay) and you're done.
It ought to be feasible to build the circuit only once
and have it drive both sets of lamps.
And oh yeah, will be less perturbed from spikes & the like
if you feed through an 7809 or so rather than straight from the battery.

Add a multiplexer to select between the two operating modes.
I can see that working.
Ok, maybe not so bad after all.

Old February 5th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Tater Schuld wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

well I have a semi truck and a light bar with 12 marker lights in the
bumper I am going to wire them 6 and 6 so when I turn on the turn
signal they flash the right way 6 will flash right and 6 will flash
left I would like to go further and make them flash in a seires
1,2,3,4,5,6, how do I do this. what relays do i need and or anything
eles I would like them to start to flash in the center at number 6 and
flash one at a time down to 1 and work there way to the out side of
the bar so it would be 1,2,3,4,5,6 6,5,4,3,2,1,and start over again.

left side right side

I'd try alt.electronics group. they'd give you more answers and possibly an
off the shelf solution

The public safety/EMS market has lightbars of this nature that ARE off
the shelf. Be a pinch to adapt it to what he wants to do. Just a matter
of $$$. Google "arrowstick" or "arrowstik".. something like that..

Dave
Old February 12th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote:

[...]

SCR's won't work for the switching because it's DC powered. Once turned
on, they won't go off until voltage crosses zero.

Yep!

I think we're going to have to call in an expert.

Well I'm not claiming to have Jim's level of expertise.
But that would perhaps be overkill too, for this simple project.

BTW what's it to do with aviation?
Who would want to carry all this flashy extra weight?
Or is it to make sure the truck gets seen on the airfield?
KA

Haven't you heard? FAA is proposing turn signals on aircraft.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired