Rudd Aeroplane Co. Oakland, CA

Old July 13th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Rudd Aeroplane Co. Oakland, CA

Anyone heard of them?

They apparently vanished in 1929. I don't know if they made a
complete airplane or just hardware. (Interesting turn-buckle:
threaded 12-28.)

Any information would be warmly apprecaited.
- Robert S. Hoover
- EAA 58400 (Life Member)

Old July 13th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flybynightkarmarepair

On Jul 12, 5:52 pm, " wrote:
Anyone heard of them?

They apparently vanished in 1929. I don't know if they made a
complete airplane or just hardware. (Interesting turn-buckle:
threaded 12-28.)

Any information would be warmly apprecaited.
- Robert S. Hoover
- EAA 58400 (Life Member)

Nothing on them in Aero-Files, which is incredibly comprehensive.
http://www.aerofiles.com/_ro.html

Perhaps someone at the Western Aerospace Museum knows something.
Oakland was a hotbed of aviation activity in that time frame.
http://www.westernaerospacemuseum.org/

I got foncused for a minute, as there used to be a plant on High
Street off of San Leandro Blvd that built RUUD water heaters, and I
wondered if this aviation enterprise might have been a spin off, but
this was a deluded edifice of my own creation.

Old July 13th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself

wrote:

Anyone heard of them?

They apparently vanished in 1929. I don't know if they made a
complete airplane or just hardware. (Interesting turn-buckle:
threaded 12-28.)

Any information would be warmly apprecaited.
- Robert S. Hoover
- EAA 58400 (Life Member)

Sorry Robert.

There was nothing by that name listed in "U.S. Civil Aircraft Series".
This series of books, by Joseph P Juptner, list all of the ATC type
certificates from 1927 through the 1950's when the system changed over
to "districts".

But the forward was poignant enough to be attached below.

BTW, I have all 9 volumns, in excellent condition, which I will pass
on to the next owner for the sum of $200 + shipping.

Richard

FOREWORD

Just a short three or four decades ago, the sound of an airplane
overhead as it flew serenely by, would cause heads for a mile
around to turn upward; gazing up with shaded eyes to watch and
to marvel at the contraption up there that was riding the wind
so easily on it's flimsy wings. Or perhaps some would even watch
with a little envy and inwardly yearn for a chance to lift them-
selves up into that vast sea of air and become unshackled, if
only for a time, from a bond with the earth.

Yes, the wonder and magic of flying was still very new to many,
and the sight of an airplane flying overhead was indeed an occasion
worthy of a few minutes pause.

Today, airplanes fly by only minutes apart, racing towards distant
terminals which will be reached in a matter of hours ... and hardly
a head is turned; the wonder of flying is no more new, it is no longer
awe-inspiring. New contrap-tions continually vie for our notice & the
airplane is more or less taken for granted. Surely, this was destined
to happen, this is what hundreds upon hundreds of good men had dreamed
for, strived for, and some even died for, but what is saddening to me
at least, is the fact that so little is known and even less is
remembered of the years of struggle that took place in the decades
just gone by.

A struggle in search for answers that often led to the point of heart-
break and castastrophe in order to bring about this vast knowledge and
comparitive maturity in the air that we now so casually enjoy.

In view of this, I humbly submit a plea that some obligation must be
shown and a mark of credit recorded for the untold number of these
pioneers in aviation, and the many creations they brought forth.

A mark of credit for their boundless dreams that often knew no limit,
and even an appreciation for their occasional folly; their every effort
no matter even how small was another lesson learned, a point proven,
and a valuable contribution added to the science of flight.

Like another milestone on the path of evolution towards our modern airplane.

These following pages tho' they may sometimes sound like the nostalgic
memories out of one man's past, are meant to be a factual story-telling
account of little-known facets of these early formative years, and to
exalt for a brief moment at least, the many efforts that contributed to
the make-up of our early aircraft industry. I would say that the advent
of the "Approved Type Certificate" for the manufacture of civil aircraft
was more or less a charter for the beginning, it was at first a challenge
that soon made way for opportunity and brought on an era of new dreams
and new enthusiasm; it might actually be called the birth of the commercial
aircraft industry.

A space of three years saw the aircraft industry emerge from a back-yard
operation to one of the up-and-coming industries of the country. Of the
many and varied offerings presented in the first three year period, the
government agency, very tolerant and working feverishly, saw fit to
certificate some 284 "types" of airplanes. This was far, far too many
for the market available, to be sure, but many things were learned in
the process, things that might have normally taken many more years.

With an intent to present this coverage in it's proper perspective and in
some sort of sequence, we have chosen to list all of the airplane "types"
that received the "Approved Type Certificate", because these were the ones
that earned the stamp of approval and the blessings of the Dept. of
Commerce
to be built for the civil market. This then, for the most part, will
present
a cross-section of the scope of activity in the aircraft industry thru' all
these years, and it's pattern of evolution towards the airplane of today.

Joseph P. Juptner
Old July 14th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jul 12, 8:06 pm, "Cy Galley" wrote:
The Funk used that size turnbuckle.

Lotsa planes did. 12-28 turnbuckle barrels are AN155-21's. But this
one appears to be bronze instead of brass, has a hex center section
that accepts a 7/116" wrench and is a tad less than 2-1/2" long, about
a quarter inch longer than a standard AN155.

I've never seen anything like it.

-R.S.Hoover

Old July 14th 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

Especially if it accepts a 7/116" wrench, which I ain't seen one around
lately.

Jim

--
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,

--Unknown
ups.com...

Old July 14th 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_2_]

RST Engineering wrote:
Especially if it accepts a 7/116" wrench, which I ain't seen one around
lately.

Jim

It's used for really fine adjustments?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Flying clubs in Oakland or Concord? [email protected] Piloting 3 September 22nd 05 11:08 PM
Request tips on flying from Arkansas to Oakland, CA in December Bert G. Piloting 7 December 7th 04 06:02 AM
NAS OAKLAND? Jdf4cheval Naval Aviation 8 October 30th 04 06:38 PM
An aeroplane that can stand still in air Chandresh Prakash Military Aviation 47 January 11th 04 11:31 AM
Origin of "aeroplane" Geoff May Military Aviation 18 July 4th 03 11:42 AM