PIREP - Garmin GTX-327

Old January 20th 04, 03:39 AM
Jay Honeck

Default PIREP - Garmin GTX-327

I obtained this unit on Ebay nearly a month ago, from an avionics shop in
Bakersfield, CA. The unit had been installed in a plane for precisely one
day before that owner had decided that he REALLY wanted the Mode S GTX-330,
with traffic information capability.

The shop couldn't sell it as new anymore, so they put it up for auction on
Ebay. I obtained it for $300 - $400 less than the "new" price.

My usual avionics shop in Waterloo quoted $500 for installation -- too
steep, I thought. So, I called another shop in Galesburg, IL, owned by Jet
Air, Inc. -- the same excellent folks who run our local FBO -- and they
quoted $200 - $300. Unfortunately, this was right before the holidays, so
it wasn't until last Thursday that I was able to get time for the
installation.

While I was at it, I asked them to check my Com radios, which were giving me
a bad hum and whine since my A&P had inadvertently disconnected (and
reconnected) one of the antenna wires while installing a new DG. And, as
long as I was at it, I had them do the IFR certification, which was past
due.

First thing they said when they opened the box was that the power cord
"safety connector" -- a metal clamp-like device that prevented accidental
disconnection of the transponder's power cord -- was not present. No big
deal, they had the part on-site, but it had me worried about the whole
deal -- what else might be missing?

Nothing, as it turned out. The transponder installation went smoothly, and
they were able to find the loose connection in my com radio. And, since
half of the IFR certification involved the transponder, that was
accomplished cheaply and quickly, too.

In fact, the only thing I didn't like was that they installed a new Garmin
transponder antenna, without asking, because it was "recommended by Garmin."
It was "only" an extra $150 -- cheap, in aviation -- but it still bugs me
that they threw away a perfectly functional antenna because it wasn't the
"spade" kind that Garmin recommends.

Oh, well -- on to the unit itself.

It's quite handsome, with large "reversed" yellow LCD numbers. ("Reversed"
meaning that the numbers themselves are dark, and the background is yellow.)
In low-light conditions this reverses, and the numbers are lit-up yellow, on
a dark background.)

You enter the squawk code numbers by pushing individually numbered buttons
across the bottom of the unit. I haven't tried this in turbulence, yet, but
I suspect it may be more difficult than twisting the old knobs on my Narco
AT50. We'll see. One thing I really, REALLY like is the "VFR pushbutton"
that automatically pops the numbers to "1200" with a single push.

The unit displays what pressure altitude it is reporting, which is nice, and
lets you know whether you're climbing or descending with an up or down
arrow. It also has three built-in timers -- a count-down timer, a count-UP,
timer, and a flight-time timer. I immediately started using the count-up
timer for changing tanks (our plane has four of them, and they must be timed
to keep the plane in proper trim), and found it to be much better than just
checking the clock. I also plan on using the elapsed flight time timer for
filling out my log-book, although I forgot today and turned the avionics
master off before checking it. Nice thing about your tach -- it doesn't
disappear when the electrons do...

Being solid-state, with no "cavitron" (or whatever those things are called
in the old transponders) to warm up, the Garmin is "instant on." This was
nice in the extreme cold of the past few days, as we were instantly picked
up by ATC as soon as we called -- something that rarely happened with our
old Narco unit.

All in all, I'm very satisfied with the unit, the install, and my Ebay
avionics shopping experience. I got a virtually brand-new GTX-327 installed
for around 15% off the "new" price, and because I bought it from an
established avionics shop, it came with a guarantee and a warranty --
something you don't always (usually?) find on Ebay. Your mileage may vary.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 20th 04, 04:42 AM
karl

************In fact, the only thing I didn't like was that they installed a
new Garmin
transponder antenna, without asking, because it was "recommended by Garmin."
It was "only" an extra $150 -- cheap, in aviation -- but it still bugs me
that they threw away a perfectly functional antenna because it wasn't the
"spade" kind that Garmin recommends.****************

Jay, They did you a BIG favor. You should tip them for being pro-active on
the maintenance on your airplane. Everything on an airplane wears out, and a
transponder antenna is right up there on the list. They did it without
asking because it was the right and correct way for the installation.

One way to look at it would be to relate it to your hotel. Can you imagine
someone complaining that you changed the sheets on their bed, and they
thought they could have gotten a discount? That's what it sounds like when
you complain about a job done properly.

I go as far as replacing ALL accessories at 500 hrs. That means new mags,
plugs, harness, starter, hoses, alternator, vacuum pumps, ignition switches.
Sure, it leaves some time on the bench, but my seaplane trips to Northern
B.C. have NEVER been interrupted by a mechanical failure. It would be very
inconvenient to be stranded up there a couple of hundred miles from the
closest road.

BTW, I've maintained a Taylorcraft, two Super Cubs, Cessna 180, Cessna 206,
Mooney 201, Cessna 140, two Cessna 185's (All that I owned.) Plus a King Air
90 and King Air 200, that I crewed and managed. Nobody ever complained about
getting there on time. Christ, you should see the maintenance on the jets we
fly now!

We like to say "No Bucks, No Buck Rogers!"

Best,
Karl

Old January 20th 04, 04:48 AM
Roy Smith

In article ,
"karl" wrote:

************In fact, the only thing I didn't like was that they installed a
new Garmin
transponder antenna, without asking, because it was "recommended by Garmin."
It was "only" an extra $150 -- cheap, in aviation -- but it still bugs me
that they threw away a perfectly functional antenna because it wasn't the
"spade" kind that Garmin recommends.****************

Jay, They did you a BIG favor. You should tip them for being pro-active on
the maintenance on your airplane.

Feh. It's easy to be "pro-active" when you're spending somebody else's
money. It really ****es me off when people do more than I asked for
then expect me to pay for it.

All the guy needed to do was say, "You know, Garmin recommends swapping
out the antenna you've got now for their own. It'll be $150. Should I
do it?" It's the customer's money, it should be the customer's decision.
Old January 20th 04, 05:03 AM
Dave Stadt

"karl" wrote in message
************In fact, the only thing I didn't like was that they installed

new Garmin
transponder antenna, without asking, because it was "recommended by

Garmin."
It was "only" an extra $150 -- cheap, in aviation -- but it still bugs me
that they threw away a perfectly functional antenna because it wasn't the
"spade" kind that Garmin recommends.****************

Jay, They did you a BIG favor. You should tip them for being pro-active on
the maintenance on your airplane. Everything on an airplane wears out, and

transponder antenna is right up there on the list.

Please explain how an antenna wears out.

Old January 20th 04, 07:27 AM
Jeff

my avionics guy never mentioned replacing the antenna for my xponder when he
installed the new 327.
I am still using the original one, working fine.

Old January 20th 04, 12:43 PM
Stu Gotts

Well, it wouldn't be a real "Jay" airplane story if he didn't get
screwed just a little bit. Thanks for reminding us to keep on our
toes with ANY installation shop doing work. One thing that always
seems to work is saying something like "Don't do anything other than
what I've instructed unless I approve it". Always seems to work for
me. And you should query the seller for that no-big-deal part that
was missing. I'll bet it was shipped with the radio.

Are you able to retain any of the "new" warranty from Garmin?

Old January 20th 04, 12:58 PM
Jay Honeck

Jay, They did you a BIG favor. You should tip them for being pro-active on
the maintenance on your airplane. Everything on an airplane wears out, and

transponder antenna is right up there on the list. They did it without
asking because it was the right and correct way for the installation.

Well, I consider a "favor" to be something done on my behalf, without
charge.

A $150.00 bill isn't a favor -- it's a charge. And one I didn't authorize.

Still, if the new antenna means 10 years of trouble-free service, what the
hell -- it's only money. But they *should* have asked, first.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 20th 04, 01:15 PM
Rosspilot

Jay, I have had the GTX-327 for more than a year . . . I also love it . . .
replaced the antennae and got everything brand new.

www.Rosspilot.com

Old January 20th 04, 02:13 PM
Jay Honeck

Jay, I have had the GTX-327 for more than a year . . . I also love it . .
..
replaced the antennae and got everything brand new.

Dang, Lee -- you could have posted a PIREP, and saved me a bunch of shopping
around!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 20th 04, 02:26 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

Dang, Lee -- you could have posted a PIREP, and saved me a bunch of shopping
around!

IIRC, he did that at the time.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."