Seeking tech info on LX7007

Old February 8th 21, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Seeking tech info on LX7007

I replaced the battery in an LX-7007 Pro IGC about 4 years ago and I
only found one battery inside. As it turned out, I could not find the
correct battery and so bought a couple of battery sockets from Amazon
and removed/replaced the battery socket. It was not difficult to do.

Prior to replacing the battery, my unit would be completely dead and
needing to reload the databases before each flight. I never did like
the thing and quickly replaced it with a ClearNav II.

Now, if you're talking about a Garmin 396 which came from the factory in
my Stemme, it has a rechargeable button battery buried deeply inside the
unit. When it dies, the unit forgets where it is and will not reload
the almanac. Garmin wanted $400 to replace the $2 battery but I found
complete instructions, including pictures, on line. I had to remove t
or 3 circuit cards but, other than delicate cables, it was a breeze.
With the replacement battery it locked on much quicker than I would have
imagined.

Dan
5J

On 2/8/21 10:43 AM, Moshe Braner wrote:
Has anybody needed to replace the internal battery for the GPS?Â* What
type of battery is it?

The GPS battery presumably runs the real time clock in the GPS module.
If this battery fails, when you start up the device the GPS screen will
not show the correct time of day until signals from the GPS satellites
are received.Â* Also the GPS screen will not show the previous lat/lon
while it searches for the current location.Â* And it will probably take
longer than normal to acquire a GPS location fix.

This is distinct from the internal coin battery for the IGC security,
which presumably also powers the memory that stores the user settings.

It seems that on my unit BOTH batteries need replacement.Â* Does that
make sense (about 11 years since factory)?

Old February 8th 21, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_7_]

The GPS Engine in LX7007 is a U-BLOX TIM-LP (from 2006) and it would
appear that the Battery is Integral with the engine, so you may need to
replace the whole engine, which is obsolete, so a pin-compatible may be
the answer.

As you can't access the GPS engine without opening the case, this will
invalidate any IGC files. Getting a quote from LX Navigation to replace
both might be the better answer.

On 08/02/2021 20:30, Dan Marotta wrote:
I replaced the battery in an LX-7007 Pro IGC about 4 years ago and I
only found one battery inside.Â* As it turned out, I could not find the
correct battery and so bought a couple of battery sockets from Amazon
and removed/replaced the battery socket.Â* It was not difficult to do.

Prior to replacing the battery, my unit would be completely dead and
needing to reload the databases before each flight.Â* I never did like
the thing and quickly replaced it with a ClearNav II.

Now, if you're talking about a Garmin 396 which came from the factory in
my Stemme, it has a rechargeable button battery buried deeply inside the
unit.Â* When it dies, the unit forgets where it is and will not reload
the almanac.Â* Garmin wanted $400 to replace the $2 battery but I found
complete instructions, including pictures, on line.Â* I had to remove t

Old March 2nd 21, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 2/3/21 8:34 AM, kinsell wrote:
On 2/3/21 8:04 AM, Moshe Braner wrote:

Can anybody send me a copy of the "LXe" PC software that originally
came with the LX? Are versions of this software and versions of the
hardware forwards and backwards compatible?Â* Is it worth having?

The airports and airspace databases need updates over time to stay
accurate.Â* Have there been updates?Â* How can I get something newer
than what's stored in it now?Â* If I can't, can I override the old info
for specific airports with info I manually put into my turnpoints file?

Thanks for any info.

I was just searching for LXe to try to support an old Colibri logger,
and found it on the LXNavigation website.Â* Version 3.5.1.1

Airports and Airpace database was not there, but found a 2014 version on
an old computer.Â* I can email that to you.

LXe and the database actually installed OK on w Win10 computer, but
complained about not finding any COMM ports.Â* Those can be added
manually on Win10.Â* haven't tried accessing the logger yet, but it may
actually still be usable on Win10.

Dave

To follow up, LXe actually still runs on a Win10 computer, had to
install their special USB driver, then manually create a COMM port from
inside Device Manager.

Database files they provide are all German, African, or European, so
you'll need to provide your own data.

Seeking Info: Winching in Cold Wx Andrew Corrigan[_2_] Soaring 1 February 22nd 13 11:36 PM
Seeking Northrop Gamma info Dillon Restoration 3 December 12th 05 05:45 AM
Seeking V2C info Ted Wagner Soaring 0 September 2nd 05 01:55 AM
GPSMAP 296 - a bit of info from tech support ... Cockpit Colin Piloting 1 March 26th 04 08:36 PM
seeking info on self etching primer gromit Restoration 1 July 11th 03 01:02 AM