Looking for a Colibri ii

Old March 2nd 21, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Len[_2_]

Default Looking for a Colibri ii

Was wondering if anyone found themselves with an old/extra Colibri II they'd be willing to part with.

Cheers,
-Len
Old March 2nd 21, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy

Len
I had a Colibri 2
I really disliked that thing, very difficult to use unless you have programmer level skills I found out.
Ancient technology.
LXNAV has 3 IGC flight recorders from $480 ,$610 ,$810
The $$610 and 810 have map screens and alot of features along with a logger.
Easy to use and will last forever.
CRAGGYAERO.COM has them at a good price point.
Call Richard, he'll fix you right up.
Nick
Old March 3rd 21, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Len[_2_]

Len
I had a Colibri 2
I really disliked that thing, very difficult to use unless you have programmer level skills I found out.
Ancient technology.
LXNAV has 3 IGC flight recorders from $480 ,$610 ,$810
The $$610 and 810 have map screens and alot of features along with a logger.
Easy to use and will last forever.
CRAGGYAERO.COM has them at a good price point.
Call Richard, he'll fix you right up.
Nick

Hi Nick, I agree the Nano III would probably be a good choice as well, but anything brand new is more than I'd like to invest at the moment for a FR/backup NAV system. Figured I'd post seeing if anyone did a winter panel upgrade and has one they'd like to sell. I don't know I'd call the Colibri II "ancient technology"... it's probably a few decades newer than the majority of gliders out there flying : ). I've heard good things about the Colibri II from friends, though I'm sure the Nano's are nice too. If you still have your Colibri ii and would like to sell it, let me know.

Cheers
-Len
Old March 3rd 21, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021 at 6:26:48 PM UTC-5, nickkennedy wrote:
Len
I had a Colibri 2
I really disliked that thing, very difficult to use unless you have programmer level skills I found out.
Ancient technology.
LXNAV has 3 IGC flight recorders from $480 ,$610 ,$810
The $$610 and 810 have map screens and alot of features along with a logger.
Easy to use and will last forever.
CRAGGYAERO.COM has them at a good price point.
Call Richard, he'll fix you right up.
Nick

Alas nothing lasts "forever". Funny when people put such faith into the current models, but when I ask why I can't get factory support for a 15-year-old model I'm told "what do you expect?" Old mechanical instruments of good quality did last a long time - e.g., Sage varios. The Scheumann box in my (originally Kai Gertsen's) HP14 was still soldiering on after 40 years. Electronics: not so much. Computerized electronics: designed obsolescence.
Old March 3rd 21, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Yeah, and all those 40 year old gliders got badges and records without
any of that fancy stuff. And who doesn't miss the fun of turn point
photos taken out of the sector, or film disallowed because the processor
cut it, balky barographs, etc.? It took more flights but it was more
fun, I think, the diamonds still sparkle!

Dan
5J

Old March 3rd 21, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Carris[_2_]

On Wednesday, March 3, 2021 at 8:36:11 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

A Nano works great and is simple and relatively inexpensive. Connected to a XCSoar smart phone via BT, gives you everything you need for XC on any level.
Old March 3rd 21, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On 3/3/2021 10:49 AM, Mike Carris wrote:
[...]

Right, a usable and relatively inexpensive setup. I similarly use FLARM
+ Tophat.

But, after a decade or so the battery keeping the IGC security data
inside the Nano (or FLARM or whatever) will die, and you'll need to have
it officially re-blessed. And even if you don't care about official
badges and records, the loss of settings may force you to replace the
battery - if it's replaceable. And the tiny battery in the GPS module
will eventually die, making it slow in re-gaining a fix, and may lose
necessary settings. And that battery may not be replaceable. And the
main power battery inside the Nano (or any other unit) will die, and may
or may not be user-replaceable. And there may or may not be factory
support.

Batteries, can't live with them, can't live without them.
Old March 3rd 21, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 11:45:36 -0500, Moshe Braner wrote:

[...]

Nick T

[...]

Something I found out the hard way, back when the Garmin GPS 2+ was
pretty much the bees knees of GPSunits:

As Moshe says, a lot of these devices have a tiny, non-rechargeable coin
cell soldered into them whose job is to keep the memory holding setup
values alive while you're replacing the AA cells or have the NiMH cells
out for a recharge.

No matter what cells they use (Alkalines, NiMH of Lithium) almost all of
them, unless they have a mechanical ON/OFF switch will, slown discharge
their batteries even on apparently switched off, because the neat touch
to power on/off switch uses battery while waiting to sense the next ON
command. if you leave it over winter without periodic recharging this
will destroy their main rechargeables by running them flat. Worse still,
once the main batteries are fully discharged the coin cell, if fitted
will be drained as well, so you'll loose all
your settings *AND* wil have to junk the device if you can't find anybody
to replace the coin cell.

So, keep a beady eye on the charge state of your toys and make sure you
recharge them before the charge state becomes 'red'.

This way you won't need to replace any fully discharged and ruined NiMH
or Lithium rechargeables and/or have to replace the device of you can't
find somebody to replace the dead. soldered-in batteries.

I've been there and done that. Had a GPS II+ flatten its coin cell and
die because I didn't know what I've just written: fortunately it was
*just* inside guarantee (and one of a batch that had duff coin cells) so
I got this stuff explained to me when Garmin replaced the coin cell.

I still own usable Garmin GPS IIs, but only because they have always had
good AA Alkalines, replaced as needed, in them since the 1990s, they
still remember which GPS epoch this is: if they ever forget that due to
no AA cells fitted and a consequential dead coin cell, they'll become so
much unusable junk.

Both my EW Microrecorder (flight logger) and the Medion PNA I run LK8000
on get regularly recharged during the winter.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old March 3rd 21, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On 3/3/2021 1:47 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
[...]

Alas some of them use non-rechargeable coin cells, that you cannot keep
alive by maintaining the main power. In particular, devices that are
(also) IGC-approved loggers (whether standalone loggers, varios,
computers or FLARM) seem to be REQUIRED (by IGC) to have a battery
inside the sealed unit - for the purpose of detecting any attempt to
tamper with the innards. They are built so that if/when you open the
case, the battery is disconnected and the IGC security memory is lost.
Those batteries end up dead after a decade or so, and then you have to
have a factory rep re-seal them, meaning replace the battery and do
something or another to make the unit consider itself secure again.
(The sealing sticker itself is just a warning not to open it.) Thus
these devices are ticking time bombs that, without factory-rep support,
will self-brick. Nothing lasts "forever"!

And the inability of long-stored GPS units to figure out which "epoch"
they really are in is another form of planned obsolescence. I have some
very old Garmin GPSs that work just fine, except that some of them are
confused about the epoch. That's not a problem unless the device is
also a flight recorder (logger) since it will stamp your flight log with
the wrong date (off by about 11 years).
Old March 3rd 21, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

"Not user replaceable" means there's not a little door on the unit which
you can open, remove, and replace the battery. If you're handy or
adventurous, pop that sucker open, find the battery, and replace it.
You may need to do a little soldering...

Dan
5J

On 3/3/21 9:45 AM, Moshe Braner wrote:
[...]

Right, a usable and relatively inexpensive setup.Â* I similarly use FLARM
+ Tophat.

But, after a decade or so the battery keeping the IGC security data
inside the Nano (or FLARM or whatever) will die, and you'll need to have
it officially re-blessed.Â* And even if you don't care about official
badges and records, the loss of settings may force you to replace the
battery - if it's replaceable.Â* And the tiny battery in the GPS module
will eventually die, making it slow in re-gaining a fix, and may lose
necessary settings.Â* And that battery may not be replaceable.Â* And the
main power battery inside the Nano (or any other unit) will die, and may
or may not be user-replaceable.Â* And there may or may not be factory

FS Colibri II Luke Szczepaniak Soaring 1 March 13th 15 10:45 PM
Distinguishing an LX Navigation Colibri 1 from a Colibri 4? Papa3[_2_] Soaring 0 October 25th 12 02:49 AM
Colibri II Rick[_3_] Soaring 5 May 5th 12 12:33 PM
Colibri Fred Blair Soaring 2 August 25th 08 03:24 PM
FS Colibri [email protected] Soaring 0 March 1st 06 12:26 PM