Anyone here built or familiar with the Cozy?

Old May 7th 05, 07:34 AM
MudFlap

Default Anyone here built or familiar with the Cozy?

I've been doing a lot of research and I think I really like the design of this aircraft. I've got a very strong mechanical background, and I'm currently going thru A&P school. I've never worked with composites, though. Is it really a plane that someone without much aircraft or building experience could handle? I plan on getting my pilot's license after A&P school. Thanks for your input.

Old May 7th 05, 10:50 AM
Dave S

Yes... there are people who build them who arent even pilots.
Workmanship may vary among individuals... There is one under
construction here at EFD in Houston that has impeccable workmanship thus
far.

I am working on a Velocity with the primary builder, but glasswork is
glasswork.. you just do more of your own with the Cozy, where the
Velocity has more pre-made stuff at a higher price (and its a bit larger).

If you are interested in interacting with more builders, check out the
following:

Go to Groups.yahoo.com and subscribe to canard-aviators
).

WWW.CanardZone.com
WWW.Canardaviation.com and link to the forums there.
( http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net/ )

The "Official" Cozy site
http://www.cozyaircraft.com/

The "UnOfficial Cozy" site
http://www.cozybuilders.org/ by Marc Zietlin (a RAH frequenter).

You may have already found some of these sites, but the first three have
people on there who are 1) actually building or 2) actually flying the
Cozy. Marc's unofficial Cozy site also has a roster of pages of people
who are building.

No disrespect to RAH, but the quality and quantity of data on those
groups regarding the Cozy and experimental aviation FAR outweighs what
you will find here. The yahoo group gets 20-50 emails a day. The Canard
Forums have variable traffic, and all have lots of archived material to
look back on. Chances are, someone has input and actual experience there
on whatever question you may have.

Dave

Old May 7th 05, 04:13 PM
Marc J. Zeitlin

MudFlap asks:

I've been doing a lot of research and I think I really like the design

of this aircraft.
I've got a very strong mechanical background, and I'm currently going

thru A&P
school. I've never worked with composites, though. Is it really a

plane that
someone without much aircraft or building experience could handle?

Absolutely. There are MANY folks that have built COZY's as their first
aircraft, and when people ask me if they could build one, I ask them two
question:

1) can you read English?
2) do you know which end of a screwdriver to hold onto?

If the answer to both of these questions is "yes", then you have the
tools you need to build this plane. If you're an A&P (or soon will be)
then you're way ahead of the game. Composites are NOT difficult, if you
know how to mix a drink and cut with scissors.

As has been pointed out by another, determining your desired mission is
the first step in picking an aircraft. If you want a high speed
cross-country cruiser, and don't need STOL or aerobatics, the COZY is a
good pick, especially if you want more than 2 seats. It handles great,
cruises fast, and is easy to fly. Landing speeds are higher than the
C-172's and Warriors that many of us have flown, but they're hardly
difficult to deal with. It took me 2 approaches in another COZY to get
the hang of it.

I now have 245 hours in 2.5 years in mine, and I love it. I've been all
over the country in it - S&F twice, OSH twice, and out to Colorado from
Mass.

If you're really interested in getting more information about
building/flying COZY's, I suggest you join the COZY mailing list, which
has about 570 folks on it at the moment. See:

http://www.cozybuilders.org/mail_list/

for info on how to join.

..... I plan on getting my pilot's license after A&P school. Thanks

for your input.

Plan on a pilot's certificate - there's no such thing (in the USA) as a
pilot's "license" :-).

--
Marc J. Zeitlin
http://marc.zeitlin.home.comcast.net/

Old May 7th 05, 10:23 PM
Howard Eisenhauer

On Sat, 7 May 2005 06:57:13 -0000, "karel"
wrote:

"MudFlap" wrote in message
I've been doing a lot of research and I think I really like the design of
this aircraft. I've got a very strong mechanical background, and I'm
currently going thru A&P school. I've never worked with composites,
though. Is it really a plane that someone without much aircraft or
building experience could handle? I plan on getting my pilot's license
after A&P school.

** I had very similar feelings a year or two ago
** and had the impudence to air them here.

*Snip*

** the high approach speed scared them so much
** they never dared land them

Umm, silly question I know, but after a while wouldn't the
overpowering need to use a washroom overcome thier fear???

H .

Old May 9th 05, 03:23 PM
Darrel Toepfer

karel wrote:

** the high approach speed scared them so much
** they never dared land them

Umm, silly question I know, but after a while wouldn't the
overpowering need to use a washroom overcome thier fear???

Might well work, yeah
If just anyone designed a canard cruiser
with a washroom tucked in somewhere aft...

Nah, 2 of them went all the way around the world nonstop without a
washroom attached... Must have been a fear of turning back?