We need a rec.aviation.homebuilt.binaries group.

Old May 24th 05, 01:49 PM
Tedstriker

Default We need a rec.aviation.homebuilt.binaries group.

I wish we had a rec aviation homebuilt binaries group. Is there one?
we need a place to post pictures of our planes and things we are
working on. If others could see pictures, it's easier than trying to
describe what you are tyring to build or accomplish. I could make it
easier to get helpful comments if one were to get stuck building a
part, ect..
Old May 24th 05, 02:58 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On Tue, 24 May 2005 08:49:58 -0400, Tedstriker wrote:

I wish we had a rec aviation homebuilt binaries group. Is there one?
we need a place to post pictures of our planes and things we are
working on. If others could see pictures, it's easier than trying to
describe what you are tyring to build or accomplish. I could make it
easier to get helpful comments if one were to get stuck building a
part, ect..

The creation process for a USENET newsgroup is summarized at:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/crea...sgroups/part1/

The process was deliberately designed to make creation of a new group difficult.
A better way to handle it is to put the images up on a web page and post the
link.

Ron Wanttaja
Old May 24th 05, 03:14 PM
Tedstriker

On Tue, 24 May 2005 06:58:47 -0700, Ron Wanttaja
wrote:

On Tue, 24 May 2005 08:49:58 -0400, Tedstriker wrote:

I wish we had a rec aviation homebuilt binaries group. Is there one?
we need a place to post pictures of our planes and things we are
working on. If others could see pictures, it's easier than trying to
describe what you are tyring to build or accomplish. I could make it
easier to get helpful comments if one were to get stuck building a
part, ect..

The creation process for a USENET newsgroup is summarized at:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/crea...sgroups/part1/

The process was deliberately designed to make creation of a new group difficult.
A better way to handle it is to put the images up on a web page and post the
link.

Ron Wanttaja

I think making and using a new newsgroup would be easier. I tired to
make a webpage once, not easy. Most ISP's give you a choice of making
either a webpage, or an FTP site. The FTP site creation is pretty
easy, but making a webpage I found not so. And a webpage takes up more
of the little space most ISP's provide with your account. FTP is
probably the way to go for just posting pictures. But a binary
newsgroup would be easier for all. But even after it's created,
getting others over to it to use it is another matter.

Old May 24th 05, 03:18 PM
John

Tedstriker wrote:

I wish we had a rec aviation homebuilt binaries group. Is there one?
we need a place to post pictures of our planes and things we are
working on. If others could see pictures, it's easier than trying to
describe what you are tyring to build or accomplish. I could make it
easier to get helpful comments if one were to get stuck building a
part, ect..

alt.binaries.pictres.aviation works It has some great pictures and nothing
stopping you from posting homebuilt pictures there too!
John

Old May 24th 05, 03:34 PM
GEG

I would support you on that!
I would love to see more pics coming from homebuilt
owners and projects!

Not everyone has a web page to post to, or knows how
to do it!
Old May 24th 05, 03:48 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On Tue, 24 May 2005 10:14:09 -0400, Tedstriker wrote:

I think making and using a new newsgroup would be easier. I tired to
make a webpage once, not easy. Most ISP's give you a choice of making
either a webpage, or an FTP site. The FTP site creation is pretty
easy, but making a webpage I found not so. And a webpage takes up more
of the little space most ISP's provide with your account. FTP is
probably the way to go for just posting pictures. But a binary
newsgroup would be easier for all. But even after it's created,
getting others over to it to use it is another matter.

Creating a newsgroup is an "iffy" process; the rules are designed so that the
process fails unless the group gets very strong support in the form of actual
"yes" votes... It takes more than a simple majority, it takes at least 100 more
yes votes than no votes. In this way, apathy actually counts as a "no" vote.

It's actually possible to create a newsgroup without the rigamarole, but unless
the standard process is used, the group won't get full distribution. I checked
the available groups list on Comcast, and found groups like
rec.aviation.lovemaking and rec.aviation.zoom.pschyo. I suspect they aren't
available on all systems....

I recently changed ISPs. Both my last ISP and my current ISP give me 25 Meg for
web space. The Fly Baby Yahoo group also has about 30 Mb. It's certainly
adequate, especially if you eventually remove old files and post photos at
screen resolution rather than printer resolution.

Ron Wanttaja
Old May 24th 05, 03:56 PM
Tedstriker

wrote:

On Tue, 24 May 2005 08:49:58 -0400, Tedstriker wrote:

I wish we had a rec aviation homebuilt binaries group. Is there one?
we need a place to post pictures of our planes and things we are
working on. If others could see pictures, it's easier than trying to
describe what you are tyring to build or accomplish. I could make it
easier to get helpful comments if one were to get stuck building a
part, ect..

The creation process for a USENET newsgroup is summarized at:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/crea...sgroups/part1/

The process was deliberately designed to make creation of a new group difficult.
A better way to handle it is to put the images up on a web page and post the
link.

Ron Wanttaja

Ron, how about creating it? you know how, and it would be great to
have. There are enough digital cameras out there now so that I'm sure
there would be a lot of good pictures of aircraft parts, projects, and
planes. Of course, there's no way to stop the group from being
spammed with inappropriate pictures, so users would have to use
filters. I'm sure there are jerks that post their trash to any group
that has the word "binary, or binaries" in it's groups name. But that
should stop the creation of a really helpful group.
Old May 24th 05, 06:27 PM
Rob Turk

"Tedstriker" wrote in message

Ron, how about creating it? you know how, and it would be great to
have. There are enough digital cameras out there now so that I'm sure
there would be a lot of good pictures of aircraft parts, projects, and
planes. Of course, there's no way to stop the group from being
spammed with inappropriate pictures, so users would have to use
filters. I'm sure there are jerks that post their trash to any group
that has the word "binary, or binaries" in it's groups name. But that
should stop the creation of a really helpful group.

Keep in mind that the pictures in .binaries groups usually don't last long.
Most news servers are configured to delete binary posts in a matter of days,
sometimes as short as 24 hours. Maybe it's better to use a Yahoo group for
this?!?

Rob

Old May 24th 05, 06:50 PM
Bob

There are still binaries groups?

A website would be a lot cleaner and easier to keep clean.

You could have a registration procedure where posters would have to
reply back to an email thus confirming their realness. And of course
moderators would work, you could have a number of moderators to share
the work load.

This type of site is a lot of work (keeping it going wise). Easy
enough technically, the software is available for free. Any webhost
running php with mysql would do. Costs would be between 20$/m and
$50/m. (USD).

Selling some banners ads would defer the cost. But as always,
advertising is based on traffic, I don't see much traffic here
nowadays.

I found http://www.airliners.net last night. Some really nice photos.
(disclaimer, i have no connection with this website.).

I have created newsgroups, it can be done, but many die from non-use,
low traffic and usenet was not set up for binaries.