A little positive GA news coverage

Old January 1st 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default A little positive GA news coverage

I know I wish someone had told *me* that I could learn to fly, when I
was 17...

Most of us were bright enough to figure it out on our own...

True, everyone here (well, with some exceptions) figured it out --
eventually. In my case, however, I wasted 35 years of my life on the
ground, gazing skyward, never realizing how truly easy and accessible
GA was -- because there were no role models. Until I went to work
for a guy who flew, I had no "in" at the airport.

If we want to grow GA, mentoring is the only way to do it. Unless one
is exceptionally motivated, the hurdles between the street and the
runway are just too great for the average guy to navigate on his own.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old January 1st 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

On Dec 31 2007, 6:59*pm, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

Strangely, I thought the purpose of this group was to talk about piloting.
Why not add something constructive to the discussion instead of ****ing on
it?

Strangely, I thought I was adding something constructive. I was merily
sugesting that Jay consider the company he is in. There are many
highly rated and experienced pilots on this list. Many of us started
at young ages (14 for me) and many of us have kids who fly. In light
of this, dont you think that starting 50 or 60 threads on the subject
seems a bit...............

Old January 1st 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

On Dec 31 2007, 11:32*pm, Jay Honeck wrote:

I think I've found a land where this attitude prevails, Jim. *It's
called "The Aviation Forum", and it's a moderated group of
enthusiastic, positive, upbeat pilots. *See it hehttp://www.aviationforum.org

Jay, ask the moderators if they will put up with 50 to 60 threads on
the same subject. See if they will endure endless OT discusion. Check
on their tolerance of profanities.

Old January 1st 08, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

On Jan 1, 8:33*am, Rich Ahrens wrote:
wrote:
On Dec 31 2007, 2:01 pm, "F. Baum" wrote:

**** YOU! This is probably one of the LEAST "self-absorbed" people in
this newsgroup.

What planet do you live on?

Rich, this guy has made one post here and 6 posts over at
ALT.DRUGS.HARD. I think the poor guy has issues.
Frank

Old January 1st 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 18:28:37 -0800, Jay Honeck wrote:

Every day we read about kids hitting baseballs, or sinking baskets, or
running really fast -- but we never, EVER read about kids learning to
fly.
Ever.

The only place I ever see articles such as what you're describing is in
the town paper (a weekly).

But this is a good idea that I'll mention to a local flight school where
I've still some contacts. They've a bulletin board on which students'
accomplishments are posted. Why not write some sort of "press release"
for each to the local paper and the paper local to where the student
lives?

- Andrew
Old January 1st 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

On Jan 1, 7:55*am, Jay Honeck wrote:

True, everyone here (well, with some exceptions) figured it out --
eventually. *In my case, however, I wasted 35 years of my life on the
ground, gazing skyward, never realizing how truly easy and accessible
GA was -- because there were no role models. * Until I went to work
for a guy who flew, I had no "in" at the airport.

So true. Some of us have spent years with organizations like CAP and
the Aviation Explorers working with young people in aviation. Aside
from fostering GA, it is an incredibly rewarding thing to do. Maybe if
you werent so busy playing "Big man on campus" here on RAP.........
(Kidding)!!

Happy New Year
Fly Safe

Old January 1st 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/239ane

The reporter got almost every detail wrong -- but, hey, it's positive
news about young people flying, and it was published in a Gannett-
owned periodical... We'll take it!

Absolutely! Any good press for GA is a good thing.

Matt