Final Glide for Don Dorrell

Old November 30th 03, 12:52 AM
JJ Sinclair

Default Final Glide for Don Dorrell

December Soaring has Don Dorrell listed under Final Glide. Does anyone have
details on his death? The Don Dorrell that I knew was a young guy and as you
all know that means anybody younger than me. Sad news, Don was a good racing
pilot and always fun to be around. His wife, Joy, was just that, a Joy to be
around.
Soaring lists his home as, Ludlow, WA. He lived in Northern California a few
years back.
JJ Sinclair
Old December 2nd 03, 05:49 AM

JJ,

I purchased his PW-5! (The one I'm having a title problem with). I met with
his widow during the sale and was told that he came down with lung cancer
(never smoked) and passed away fairly soon thereafter. I think he was around
72 or so. The SSA was notified by me when I was changing the contest number
over to me (Z2)

Don seemed to get a great guy from the folks that knew him. I know he held a
Diamond Badge in soaring and was planning on being active in the PW-5
contests before he got sick.

By the way, If anyone out there knew Don and Joy very well, I would like to
hear from you as I could have this title issue resolved easily if she would
co-operate but it looks like I'm going to have to get an attorney to settle
this. Sadly, it appears that once she sold Don's toys (her words not mine)
she wants nothing to do with anything related to Don's very active aviation
career. Oh well.

Chet

Old December 2nd 03, 02:56 PM
JJ Sinclair

Thanks Chet for your post on Don Dorrell.

On the PW-5 title issue, I once bought a broken LS-6 and the owner didn't sign
the change of registration, correctly. Oak City wouldn't issue me a
registration in my name. The old owner took the position that the insurance
company had paid him off and he "no longer owned the ship" and refused to
resign the paper work.

About 2 weeks before the ship was ready to fly again, I sent him a registered
letter which said, Do you want me flying an aircraft that is legally registered
to you?

Got my properly signed paper work in return mail. Hope this helps,
JJ Sinclair

Angle of climb at Vx and glide angle when "overweight": five questions Koopas Ly Piloting 16 November 29th 03 10:01 PM
Air Force Museum Working Group to release final report Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 November 18th 03 12:28 AM
Newbie question Bill Gribble Soaring 6 November 6th 03 07:57 PM
Testing your glide. Are people doing this? Montblack Piloting 116 November 1st 03 12:56 AM
A Waikerie slip up? Vassilios Mazis Soaring 4 July 28th 03 11:34 PM