captain jepp

Old July 26th 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrey Serbinenko

Default captain jepp

Does anybody know why it so happened that there's literally
nobody else out there besides jepp in aeronautical charting
business? TERPS people develop the procedures, FAA test-flies
them, and all this info is publicly available. Yet, the only
commercial enterprise harvesting there is jepp. Between NACO and
them there's a substantial gap in terms of pricing and packaging
of services. Why is it empty?

Andrey

Old July 26th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrey Serbinenko

well, liability doesn't stop people from, say, making new avionics,
and putting all this procedural info into its computers, which has
even more potential to cause damage if it has errors in it.

paper charts are still very much in use, and it seems strange that
nobody comes up with better ways of putting them together, or
making various "products" out of them for every possible pilot's
income tranche. everybody i know agrees that jepp is overpriced,
and you usually wind up buying more from them than you actually need,
because their products are structured that way.

Old July 26th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

And a very small market with high labor costs.

. ..

Old July 26th 06, 06:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Gaquin

"Andrey Serbinenko" wrote in message

Does anybody know why it so happened that there's literally
nobody else out there besides jepp in aeronautical charting

Jeppesen started so early on (early 30s), and his little notebooks were so
relevant and to the point, that it didn't take much for the Jepps to become
the de facto industry standard, even after the government started publishing
their own charts. In almost 40 years I haven't met anyone, not 1, who
prefers the gov charts over Jepps.

All the data is public available, but I believe certain elements of
formatting and presentation are copyrighted. You could start publishing
your own chart service, I'm sure, but the tough part would be convincing
virtually every pilot and airline in the world to switch over to a different
format chart.

Old July 26th 06, 06:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ray[_1_]

Simply Put "tradition" it the reason behind eveything. Noone want to
move to something new, even if its better. There are some old time
pilots who don't even use GPS. I just think that pilots don't like
change. This is way Sporty, asa, gliem, and jepp are the only
manufactures that make it. Pilot are afriad to try something new. But
i do think that the new generation will be changing it.

Old July 26th 06, 09:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"John Gaquin" wrote in message
. ..
[...]
All the data is public available, but I believe certain elements of
formatting and presentation are copyrighted. You could start publishing
your own chart service, I'm sure, but the tough part would be convincing
virtually every pilot and airline in the world to switch over to a
different format chart.

It would be more than tough. It would be impossible. A person would
probably never do better than a niche competitor to Jeppesen, unless they
came up with some huge innovation that was so important, it made a
significant difference in the use of the charts. Even then, they won't come
close to "convincing virtually every" user.

But they don't need to. I don't see any reason someone couldn't carve out
that niche and make a decent living. If it can work for VFR (O'Keefe), why
not IFR?

Pete

Old July 26th 06, 12:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Andrey Serbinenko wrote:

Does anybody know why it so happened that there's literally
nobody else out there besides jepp in aeronautical charting
business? TERPS people develop the procedures, FAA test-flies
them, and all this info is publicly available. Yet, the only
commercial enterprise harvesting there is jepp. Between NACO and
them there's a substantial gap in terms of pricing and packaging
of services. Why is it empty?

First guess would be that there isn't enough money to be made to make it
worthwhile.

Matt
Old July 26th 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Right on!

Old July 26th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrey Serbinenko

their own charts. In almost 40 years I haven't met anyone, not 1, who
prefers the gov charts over Jepps.

What do the military pilots use?

your own chart service, I'm sure, but the tough part would be convincing
virtually every pilot and airline in the world to switch over to a different

I don't think you necessarily want to convince *everyone*, but there certainly
may be some niche for you. Doesn't it strike you as odd that there is just
one thing on the market and everybody is happy and would want nothing else?
Wouldn't it be strange if there were just one company making gps receivers,
and just one type of receiver, and everyone would be happy to have one and
not want to even think of anything else? Is it a bad comparison?

format chart.