A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

ASW27B prices falling



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old August 9th 17, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 76
Default ASW27B prices falling

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 6:00:32 AM UTC-5, wrote:
There are 3 nice ASW27's for sale, all at reduced prices in the Wings and Wheels website. We 3 owners are mystified at the seeming lack of interest in this ship. Two of us are no longer flying thanks to Father Time and we're throwing in lots of soaring related "goodies" with your purchase.



http://wingsandwheels.com/classifieds/?m=glider


While I can only be envious of guys with 80K worth of glider at their disposal,
What does it say when three out of four (75%) of the ASW 27B's on the FAA registry are currently up for sale at the same time?
Ads
  #12  
Old August 9th 17, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KEN
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 34
Default ASW27B prices falling

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 8:57:26 PM UTC-4, Scott Williams wrote:
On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 6:00:32 AM UTC-5, wrote:
There are 3 nice ASW27's for sale, all at reduced prices in the Wings and Wheels website. We 3 owners are mystified at the seeming lack of interest in this ship. Two of us are no longer flying thanks to Father Time and we're throwing in lots of soaring related "goodies" with your purchase.
Read the post correctly (no longer able to fly). Also there are more than 4 ASW 27B's. The FAA (believe it or not ) does not list all ASW 27B"s seperate from the model ASW 27.
http://wingsandwheels.com/classifieds/?m=glider


While I can only be envious of guys with 80K worth of glider at their disposal,
What does it say when three out of four (75%) of the ASW 27B's on the FAA registry are currently up for sale at the same time?


  #13  
Old August 9th 17, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KEN
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 34
Default ASW27B prices falling

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 8:57:26 PM UTC-4, Scott Williams wrote:
On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 6:00:32 AM UTC-5, wrote:
There are 3 nice ASW27's for sale, all at reduced prices in the Wings and Wheels website. We 3 owners are mystified at the seeming lack of interest in this ship. Two of us are no longer flying thanks to Father Time and we're throwing in lots of soaring related "goodies" with your purchase.



http://wingsandwheels.com/classifieds/?m=glider


While I can only be envious of guys with 80K worth of glider at their disposal,
What does it say when three out of four (75%) of the ASW 27B's on the FAA registry are currently up for sale at the same time?


Scott, Reread the original post. Two are not flying anymore ( ie. medical issues).
There are a lot more ASW 27B's than just 4. Some are listed under the model ASW 27.
  #14  
Old August 9th 17, 07:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 24
Default ASW27B prices falling

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 5:00:32 AM UTC-6, wrote:
There are 3 nice ASW27's for sale, all at reduced prices in the Wings and Wheels website. We 3 owners are mystified at the seeming lack of interest in this ship. Two of us are no longer flying thanks to Father Time and we're throwing in lots of soaring related "goodies" with your purchase.



http://wingsandwheels.com/classifieds/?m=glider


A ASW-27 is a great glider and it does strike me as odd that they don't sell quick. However, I believe the majority of the buyers right now are like myself, new to soaring, wanting to buy something that is fun, like my Libelle 201B; but also not something that looks like it is "too much" glider for the first purchase.

Just an idea.
  #15  
Old August 9th 17, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 71
Default ASW27B prices falling

All prices of gliders been on a steady decline for several years now. The cost of a good sailplane has never been so affordable, thanks to the equal decline of the soaring interest.......

and if you can afford $80k, then you perhaps you can afford more and are looking for a sustainer or self launcher?
  #16  
Old August 9th 17, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,234
Default ASW27B prices falling

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 9:57:48 AM UTC-4, Craig Reinholt wrote:
All prices of gliders been on a steady decline for several years now. The cost of a good sailplane has never been so affordable, thanks to the equal decline of the soaring interest.......


and if you can afford $80k, then you perhaps you can afford more and are looking for a sustainer or self launcher?


I can wait a few years for falling glider prices to stabilize.
  #17  
Old August 9th 17, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 146
Default ASW27B prices falling

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 11:06:29 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 5:00:32 AM UTC-6, wrote:
There are 3 nice ASW27's for sale, all at reduced prices in the Wings and Wheels website. We 3 owners are mystified at the seeming lack of interest in this ship. Two of us are no longer flying thanks to Father Time and we're throwing in lots of soaring related "goodies" with your purchase.



http://wingsandwheels.com/classifieds/?m=glider


A ASW-27 is a great glider and it does strike me as odd that they don't sell quick. However, I believe the majority of the buyers right now are like myself, new to soaring, wanting to buy something that is fun, like my Libelle 201B; but also not something that looks like it is "too much" glider for the first purchase.

Just an idea.


Well....not to be a total smart alec but let me chime in once more.
In the business of sales, particularly used item sales; the prices will be dictated what the market can bare, that is as simple as that.
Since we are seeing the $20-40 market drop about 30% due to the lack of demand, why should be the $60-1000k market be any different? If the owners would price their gliders to sell and reduce prices where they should be... they will sell. No one likes to take a hit but sometimes one needs to take a hard look and just bite the bullet or expect to sit on the item for a very long time and sometimes more,( there are plenty of examples of this on the WW classified).
Sure... there are gliders being sold for a quarter mill but what's the percentage of that compared to the total market...maybe 2%?
Just my nickel's worth.
  #18  
Old August 9th 17, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 447
Default ASW27B prices falling

The thing that's always driven willingness to throw down a lot of money on a glider is competition. $80K is, any way you slice it, a lot of money for a 15+ year old glider (just ask any of our wives :-)). There are a thousand reasons the 27 is a great glider. However, performance in competition is the one that supported the market price of used 27s at roughly "every dime I spent on it since new".

What's happening in the competition world? Connect the dots...

Evan Ludeman / T8
  #19  
Old August 9th 17, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 626
Default ASW27B prices falling

I will say, except for a very few, more gains are achieved by training the nut behind the stick.
If I could spend $xxx,xxx and win US Nats, sign me up.
But, I KNOW that a good pilot could fly, say, a well prepped ASW-20 and kick my butt flying in ANY new glider most days, thus pilot training is worth it first and foremost.

(Yes, I know what you fly, yes, well prepped it's still a great sailplane......).
  #20  
Old August 9th 17, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 136
Default ASW27B prices falling

At 17:04 09 August 2017, Tango Eight wrote:
The thing that's always driven willingness to throw down a lot of

money on
=
a glider is competition. $80K is, any way you slice it, a lot of money
for=
a 15+ year old glider (just ask any of our wives :-)). There are a
thousa=
nd reasons the 27 is a great glider. However, performance in

competition
i=
s the one that supported the market price of used 27s at roughly

"every
dim=
e I spent on it since new". =20

What's happening in the competition world? Connect the dots...

Evan Ludeman / T8


Speaking of the USA market, T8 is correct. That is how it has behaved
for the last ~35+ years. As soon as a ship is not at a top competitive
level, the resale value has dropped off rapidly. In Europe, clubs will
tend to buy up these gliders, which means that the market will support
higher prices for these types of birds. In the USA, the re-sale market is

(and has been, but is getting worse due to declining participation) too
thin, so now that the V3 and JS3 are coming out, the ASW-27 and V2
prices will fall. That is just the nature of the beast in the USA....
RO

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS ASW27B HL Falbaum Soaring 3 December 20th 06 11:51 PM
ASW27B Ray Gimmey Soaring 1 November 4th 06 03:41 AM
Gas prices falling... Jay Honeck Piloting 41 August 27th 06 10:16 AM
The sky is falling! Jim Home Built 10 April 30th 04 04:40 AM
ASW27B polar Chip Fitzpatrick Soaring 2 March 1st 04 01:48 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.