Errors accessing FAA's Pilotweb

Old February 4th 09, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

Default Errors accessing FAA's Pilotweb

In article
,
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

On Feb 4, 8:38*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Robert M. Gary writes:

All the time you've spent on the simulator you could have easily
earned the money for several flights using that time working in a
coffee shop.

I've spent about 2000 hours flying in the past 36 months. *If I had worked
that time at a minimum-wage job in a coffee shop, I would have earned
roughly
enough by now to pay for just 40-50 hours in a real aircraft--and that
ignores
the cost of getting a license to fly in the first place. *If you count the
cost of getting a license, I would not yet have flown my first hour in real
life as a licensed pilot.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "the cost of getting a
license" but if I were sitting there thinking I could have used the
2000 hours I spent playing with the sim for the last 36 months to earn
the money to fly 40-50 hours I would be kicking myself pretty hard
about now.

Well, different folks like different things. Our friend here probably
really does get 95% of the fun from simulation as he would get in a real
airplane, so staying home and simming makes more sense than working to
pay for fuel and aircraft rental.

For us, where that number is more like 1%, spending so much time simming
when we could put that effort into real flying is silly.

The trouble is that he can't recognize that the tradeoff is different
for different people, so he thinks we're crazy for spending all that
money to make up what he sees as only the last 5%. Trouble is that he's
ridiculously dismissive about it, so everybody hates on him a whole lot
because of it.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old February 4th 09, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Feb 4, 12:12Â*pm, "Viperdoc" wrote:
The moron averages nearly 18 full time weeks a year playing his game. If he
worked half of that time he could have an instrument rating and his own
plane by now.

I believe he's in Paris. There are *lots* of coffee house type jobs in
the city. He could run one of those crape carts and get a chance to
get out and see people and get out of him apartment and some fresh
air.

-Robert

He has also said he doesn't like people.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old February 4th 09, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_6_]

He could be into making paper dolls for all I care- the biggest issue I have
about Anthony is his use of half truths and misstatements to support his
warped circular logic. Also, his pedantic style given that he has never
flown is really annoying.

Old February 4th 09, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 4, 3:12*pm, Mike Ash wrote:

Well, different folks like different things. Our friend here probably
really does get 95% of the fun from simulation as he would get in a real
airplane, so staying home and simming makes more sense than working to
pay for fuel and aircraft rental.

For us, where that number is more like 1%, spending so much time simming
when we could put that effort into real flying is silly.

I don't think he can say he gets 95% of the fun from siming until he
tries flying.

-Robert
Old February 5th 09, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article
,
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

On Feb 4, 3:12*pm, Mike Ash wrote:

Well, different folks like different things. Our friend here probably
really does get 95% of the fun from simulation as he would get in a real
airplane, so staying home and simming makes more sense than working to
pay for fuel and aircraft rental.

For us, where that number is more like 1%, spending so much time simming
when we could put that effort into real flying is silly.

I don't think he can say he gets 95% of the fun from siming until he
tries flying.

I agree that he shouldn't be making this claim until he's tried it, but
given his personality, it wouldn't surprise me if he were right on this
point. He seems so determined not to extract any unnecessary enjoyment
out of life that I would wager there's a good chance that the sublime
qualities of flight would figuratively go right over his head.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old February 5th 09, 10:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Feb 4, 11:57*pm, Mike Ash wrote:
In article
,
*"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

On Feb 4, 3:12*pm, Mike Ash wrote:

[...]

You want not to forget he gets lots of attention here, and that
attention is from people who for the most part are living real lives
and sometimes fly real airplanes. His chances of engaging an MD or
business executive in casual conversation in real life are minimal,
and here he he gets the opportunity -- BECAUSE WE GIVE IT TO HIM -to
act as a peer, or better, to the group. That is his payoff.
Old February 5th 09, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Jon writes:

It's the difference between actually having the access to the
information. I work with the folks at NAIMES, I've done actual work on
some of their systems. They are hard working folks with integrity.

So why are these Web pages secured with SSL, and why are they secured by a
certificate that isn't included in many browsers?

Name a few of the people with whom you're working, and their job titles.

Asshole.

Old February 5th 09, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

On Feb 4, 3:12 pm, Mike Ash wrote:

[...]

And, by all appearances, he is paid handsomely indeed!

(Presuming that he is not an elaborately created sock puppet of a
researcher...)

Old February 5th 09, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

a wrote:

You want not to forget he gets lots of attention here, and that
attention is from people who for the most part are living real lives
and sometimes fly real airplanes.

Which is exactly why he comes back.

If he got NO replies?
Old February 5th 09, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Feb 5, 5:18*pm, B A R R Y wrote:
a wrote:

You want not to forget he gets lots of attention here, and that
attention is from people who for the most part are living real lives
and sometimes fly real airplanes.

Which is exactly why he comes back.

If he got NO replies?

If he got no replies these threads would be a lot shorter, wouldn't
they? It's interesting that people one might assume are in other ways
intellegent get trapped into these one-upsmanship contests. MX plays
the readers of this group expertly, it may be the only skill he has.
Too bad it's not marketable for money.