Jay Honeck in AOPA Pilot

Old February 6th 09, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_3_]

Default Jay Honeck in AOPA Pilot

JJ schrieb:
Does nobody know how to use a kill file anymore?

many use googlegroups. what do you expect?

#m
Old February 6th 09, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

a wrote:
I think 200 is the
magic number, or at least used to be, for the instrument rating.

It's not. Far from it.
Old February 7th 09, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 6, 11:04*am, Gezellig wrote:
On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 16:02:28 -0800 (PST), wrote:
AOPA has a volunteer group to keep tabs on local airports and nip
stuff in the bud before they ruin the day.. I am the AOPA *ASN for
Jackson Hole,Wy. Ya want to see a real mess ???? We are the only
airport in the world in a National Park, surrounded by national
forests and the area is full of tree huggers who don't work and that
live on trust funds and have all day to drink starbucks and * they are
hell bent on closing down the airport. You want to see irony ???
These people will board a flight here in Jackson to fly to DC to
testify to congress with the intent to have this airport shut
down..... *Unbelievable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is the environmental premise for shutting the airport down?

Noise is #1, even with the stage two ban and most current planes are
darn quiet they seem to want everything that was not here 100 years
ago banished, well except their 10,000 sq ft houses and hummers..
those seem to be ok... Friggin hipocrites.....

Ben,don't get me started, Haas
Old February 8th 09, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I hope to see you at OSH this year, on my own, or with a friend who has
never been, but wants to. I may spend some time down in Vintage Land.

Cool! When's the last time you were there -- 2005-ish? Wasn't that the
year of the transmission?

:-)

You guys should stop by the inn for the pool party on you way to OSH. If
you want, you can camp out back for nuthin', and partake in the food and
festivities!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Morgans" wrote in message

"Jay Honeck" wrote

Sadly (but, as expected) he's rarely flown since Oshkosh. Being a
freshman in college, and away from home, he's way busy, all the time.

I fly with him every few months just so he can stay current, but I don't
expect he'll have any real time (or money) to devote to flying for a few
more years. Unless he pursues flying as a vocation, I doubt he'll get
the IR any time soon, if ever.

There is hope. My case in point.

My son got up to solo, when the plane broke, instructors moved on, and
college started. He had to quit, to pursue life.

6 years later, college is done, has a decent job and wife, and he has
started back, hopefully with the finances and desire to see it through. I
think he will, as anything he has decided to take on, he has done so.

Glad to hear things with the airport are not going too badly. The loss of
the hangar is a pity, as is the runway, but in these times, open (mostly)
is good!

I hope to see you at OSH this year, on my own, or with a friend who has
never been, but wants to. I may spend some time down in Vintage Land.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 8th 09, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I can't believe the city didn't seize the airport over imminent domain
considering it looked to be the only place in Iowa City that wasn't under
water last summer!

God almighty, don't suggest THAT out loud! It's too close to the truth...

;-)

(Of course, the city already OWNS the airport, so they don't really have to
"seize" it....)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 8th 09, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Does nobody know how to use a kill file anymore?

Sure we do. It's just a lot more fun to be where the children aren't
allowed.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 8th 09, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Please tell me they took federal money for the at least some of the
refurbishment.

Hell, yes!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old February 8th 09, 09:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

" Cool! When's the last time you were there -- 2005-ish? Wasn't that the
year of the transmission?

That 'twas an expensive and not very enjoyable year. (yeck)

I have been there once since the transmission. '07, perhaps?

I didn't make it last year, 'cause my kid got married last year, on the
first weekend of August; the one that got back into flying. He was the
reason that I went the first time, by the way. I got involved in Aviation
Exploring, after he joined.

You guys should stop by the inn for the pool party on you way to OSH. If
you want, you can camp out back for nuthin', and partake in the food and
festivities!

And we call our kids geographically challenged? Have you looked at a big
map? Iowa is "not quite" on the way to OSH from North Carolina, last I
looked! g It is already a thousand miles by road, from here to there. I
don't think my back would appreciate the extra detour, but thanks for the
invite!

So, without your son flying the 'coup, you and Mary been putting some hours
on it? How about Atlas? Been putting enough exercise on him, or saving
money and flying the big guy barely enough?
--
Jim in NC

Old February 8th 09, 09:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

" Cool! When's the last time you were there -- 2005-ish? Wasn't that
the
year of the transmission?

That 'twas an expensive and not very enjoyable year. (yeck)

A small follow-up, for those who never heard this tale.

I used my 3/4 ton 87 Chevy Van to haul about a ton of Aviation Explorer
camping gear and a large tow behind grill to OSH from NC, and on the way,
the tranny started slipping. I changed the oil and filter, and thought it
was going to be good to go. I took it for a short errand about two days
before I had to leave, and it started slipping like mad, again, and it was
obvious that I would not make it home without a new tranny.

I had to get back for the first days of school (teaching) or risk many
employment hassles, and had to have a transmission overnighted to a nearby
shop, but they could not install it in time, so I had to do it myself in the
campground. Through the fine folks at emergency aircraft repair, and the
EAA motor pool shop, I was able to get a tranny lift to reinstall it.
Still, there was a lot of jacking and blocking to do the job in a field, but
it was done, and I got home, but many dollars lighter.

To say the transmission shop saw me coming and knew what a bind I was in,
would be an understatement.

Also needless to say was that I did not get to see much at OSH that year.

What does not kill us makes us stronger, they say. I got a workout, that
year! g
--
Jim in NC