End of Season Sunset Warning for SSA-OLC Participants

Old September 29th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Yuliy Gerchikov

Default End of Season Sunset Warning for SSA-OLC Participants

Tom,

"5Z" wrote in message
oups.com...

Yuliy, "the rules" were presented to you during pilot training, and
then you had to be aware of them during any FAA checkride. The OLC and
ANY flight you make must first comply with these.

FARs are not the same rules that we are talking about. If you wish to take
FARs to the letter and enforce them in the strictest possible
interpretation, then you should ban most of thermal, ridge and wave flights.
In line with your example, let me just guess that on your checkride you did
not demonstrate a competition finish to impress your examiner -- unless you
happened to be good friends.

The rules we *are* talking about are not FARs but the SSA policies -- in
part but not exclusively related to interpretation of FARs. Precisely the
question is why, when and how should SSA interpret, apply and enforce FARs
on the OLC. On the one hand, if you wish the SSA to take FARs to the
letter... well, I've said it already. On the other hand, it's been pointed
out already that SSA (1) should not be in this business at all to begin
with, and (2) said it was not going to but obviously did.

Let me repeat for the Nth time (no, wait, N it too small, make it the Mth
time) that it's the consistency of SSA-OLC policies and their application is
what I see as a problem. Why some FARs are enforced while others are quietly
ignored? Why do the rules apply to some flights but not to others? Who
decides on the above and how, and is this the way we want it?

If every pilot with your attitude

If you insist that it's me personally and my attitude that is the problem,
then why don't you tell me just what you think my attitude is. You are
welcome to do so via email to spare others your personal attacks.

Unfortunately, on the Internet, any
minority can create a conspiracy out of anything, and in the process
create unfounded Fear Uncertainty and Doubt

I can't take responsibility for creating any such thing. I called attention
to what I think is wrong with the modern SSA-OLC, shared my personal opinion
on what has caused it and even suggested, although admittedly in only a
somewhat constructive way, some ways to fix it. If you disagree, feel free
to disregard my opinion and stay Fearless, Certain and Doubtless. If you can
do it, so can others -- unless you think everybody else is stupid and
gullible and should be protected from the horrible "any minority".

-Tom

--
Yuliy

Old September 29th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Haluza

So your point is that making one other post to this forum with a
different ID 5 years ago means you are not trolling now?

Yuliy Gerchikov wrote:
"Doug Haluza" wrote in message
oups.com...

this forum (which you only recently joined)

Is this a fact or an opinion?

It's an easily verified fact. You have made 26 posts to this group
starting Aug 31, 2006.

Doug: you, of all, must know that not verifying facts that you intend to
publish is poor journalism. Intentionally mis-representing the facts,
however, is much worse. You once again have demonstrated your inability to
handle the facts, and your credibility is going through the floor right now.
The saddest thing is that someone so incapable of separating facts from
opinions is responsible for, as we are told, the 99% of SSA-OLC
administration.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...e319adb2338cb/

(With apologies to everybody else... I did not start this senseless
discussion of seniority on this forum, and fully intended to stay on the OLC
issues and not the personal ones.)

it's really poor manners in any forum to make
personal attacks that are mostly baseless.