A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Mic info

Old August 30th 16, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Mic info

Looking for advice on improving the radio transmissions in the recently acquired Duo Discus XL.

The factory installed Microaire M760-1 radio and Bayerdynamic SHM 424 microphone work fine - if you are practically eating the mic. If your head is turned slightly no voice, only carrier.

Anyone know of a gain adjustment of some sort to make the mic more sensitive?

Thanks in advance.

Karl Striedieck
Old August 30th 16, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Mic info

On Monday, August 29, 2016 at 7:08:08 PM UTC-4, Karl Striedieck wrote:
Looking for advice on improving the radio transmissions in the recently acquired Duo Discus XL.

The factory installed Microaire M760-1 radio and Bayerdynamic SHM 424 microphone work fine - if you are practically eating the mic. If your head is turned slightly no voice, only carrier.

Anyone know of a gain adjustment of some sort to make the mic more sensitive?

Thanks in advance.

Karl Striedieck

There are two trim pots on the right side of the radio. Rear is mic gain. Para 4.8.2 of the P rev manual says
Please refer to the figure below to see how the trim pots are adjusted. The trim pots have a total movement of only 270 degrees (3/4 turn). The heads of the trim pots are plastic, and can be distorted or broken off unless adjusted with great care. A small straight blade screwdriver with an insulated shaft is required. Ensure the radio is turned off before punching the hole under the black dot, and probing for the slot in the head of the trim pot. Once the screwdriver is engaged on the trim pot, the radio can be turned on, and the adjustment made.
unquote
The other trim pot is for sidetone. I had feedback and adjusted the mic gain to sort it out. Counterclockwise turn decreases mic gain.

Dan
Old August 30th 16, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Mic info

Thanks Dan! I'll give that a try.

KS
Old August 30th 16, 08:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Mic info

If the gain adjustment doesn't do the trick I've found the current Microaire mics are pretty good. A vast improvement on the ones that came with the M760's when we equipped several of our club ships with those radios back around 2000 both in terms of audio performance and in staying where you put them (the old ones lost strength in the booms after one year and kind of flop around).
Old August 30th 16, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Mic info

Per the Microaire manual info I increased the gain to full and that solved the problem.

The mic was also floppy and fell out of position with air and ground bumps. Simply rotating the entire goose neck about 10 degrees seated it firmly in whatever threads are hidden behind the moulding.

Thanks again!

KS
Old August 31st 16, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gino Cavicchioli
external usenet poster

Default Mic info

I had to take my Microair M760 out of the panel to find the slot in head of the trim pot. I made the adjustment and now the radio is almost tolerable. No actually it's on my must replace, list :-(

Gino Cavicchioli
Sosa Gliding Club
Canada
Old August 31st 16, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Mic info

Karl,
I have a FSG 71M Dittel (10 ch memory on a knob) and a new dynamic mic on a long goose neck that's excess to my needs. Give me a shout if you want to replace your microair.
JJ Johnsincllair210(at)yahoo.com
Old August 31st 16, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Mic info

On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 at 11:55:39 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Karl,
I have a FSG 71M Dittel (10 ch memory on a knob) and a new dynamic mic on a long goose neck that's excess to my needs. Give me a shout if you want to replace your microair.
JJ Johnsincllair210(at)yahoo.com

Microair radios are very voltage sensitive... you can add a voltage booster to 14v, and they work much better. They do have lower transmit power than the other radios, though. The price you pay for the price you pay.
Old September 1st 16, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Mic info

My experience with Microaire radios over the last 20 years has been very good. They've never given me any problems and I can converse with other gliders 100 miles away (Harris Hill).

KS

Old September 1st 16, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Mic info

On Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 10:24:59 PM UTC-4, Karl Striedieck wrote:
My experience with Microaire radios over the last 20 years has been very good. They've never given me any problems and I can converse with other gliders 100 miles away (Harris Hill).

KS

This agrees with my experience.
UH