looking for a set of ASW 19 ailerons

Old February 24th 17, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kerry Kirby

Default looking for a set of ASW 19 ailerons

Our club has an ASW 19 and something has caused the ailerons distort to the point we have to replace them. In trying to trace salvage gliders I keep running into "privacy" issues. Anyone out there have any leads?

Thanks
Kerry Kirby (or should I have signed anonymous?)
Old February 24th 17, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

You're going to have a lot more success if you say where in the world you are.

It would also be nice to know what sort of distortion you're talking about. If they're twisted or unusually bent, that could be a problem. But if they've just got a lot of small dents wrinkles, or waves, that's just the way they tend to look after a few decades.

Except when they are brand new, flaps and ailerons for ASW 19 and the like will always be pretty gnarly looking. In order to give them enough bending flex so they can follow the wings as they bend, they have to be very lightly built. So they tend not to be very rugged, and they tend to get wavy as they age. It looks kind of sad, but I've never known one to be unflightworthy because of it.

When I tore apart an ASW20 flap section a while back, I found that the basic layup was two plies of +/-45-deg. 2oz Kevlar separated by ~1/8" (3mm) Rohacell foam. The leading edge area at the upper and lower pivot radii was two piece of solid spanwise balsa joined with a shmoo bar joint. Except for that leading edge, there just isn't much there there. For contrast, most wing skins from that era have about ~9oz fiberglass on the outside, ~1/4 (6mm) of PVC foam, and ~5oz of fiberglass on the inside of the foam.

Thanks, Bob K.
https://www.facebook.com/HP-24-Sailp...-200931354951/
Old February 24th 17, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I checked the Skycraft website and unfortunately they don't list any. They may be worth contacting for leads or in case the site isn't up to date I suppose.

http://www.sky-craft.co.uk/acatalog/...ailplanes.html

Old February 24th 17, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kerry Kirby

On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 5:14:51 PM UTC-5, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
[...]

How bad are they? Real bad. I am not in front of them now but from memory, leading edge to trailing edge they dip / sag more then a 1/4" and they are only what 7" front to back? each bay does the same and top and bottom do the same. One upon a time the gel coat was replaced with PU. We think it was filled with filler at that point. They were checked and found to be unbalanced and the filler was taken down. that was 10 years ago and they have gotten worse every year. no one knows the cause. From 100 feet away you say " what the hell" hope that gives you an idea of "bad" Glider is in Canada but we would be happy if we found a set in the Artic.

Any leads appreciated.

Thanks
Kerry

Old February 24th 17, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Fri, 24 Feb 2017 14:16:15 -0800, ifeelill wrote:

I checked the Skycraft website and unfortunately they don't list any.
They may be worth contacting for leads or in case the site isn't up to
date I suppose.

http://www.sky-craft.co.uk/acatalog/...ailplanes.html

You could also try Zulu Glasstek, www.zulu-glasstek.co.uk

They are the UK Schleicher agents. They also buy written-off gliders for
spares and repair parts.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old February 25th 17, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Your first step is probably to quantify the condition yours are in. From your description they sound pretty bad, but you probably ought to do a rigorous survey of the dips and sags to find how deep the worst ones really are. That way you know what you really have.

Your next step may be to contact the factory and see if they have any leftovers, or perhaps damaged ones from a factory repair. Ailerons that have been broken cleanly are probably easier to fix than the ones you describe.

You should probably also call all the Usual Suspects to see what they have in the rafters:

Eds Hollestelle (Solaire Canada)
Eastern Sailplane
JJ Sinclair
Williams Soaring
Robert Mudd in Moriarty
Fidel in Moriarty
Mark Grubb in Tehachapi

If worst comes to worst, I can show you how to make them; that is allowed here in the US under 14CFR§21.9(a)5, and may be allowed under similar Canadian rules. Basically, we'd take your existing ailerons, profile and paint them so they are nice and pretty, then make a set of splash molds off of those. Then you'd make replacements in the molds. Ideally we'd get the factory lamination plan from Schleicher, otherwise you'd have to tear apart your existing parts to figure out what's on the inside.

Thanks, Bob K.

Old February 25th 17, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 4:56:06 PM UTC-8, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
[...]

Bob, you left out Uncle Hank...
Jim
Old February 25th 17, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Bob, you left out Uncle Hank...
Jim

Darn, so I did! That would be Hank Nixon. He regularly posts here, so he'll probably pipe up if see this thread and has any leads.

Thanks again, Bob K.
Old February 25th 17, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 8:00:04 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:
[...]

..... and the Gehrleins in Waterford, PA. They had a good collection in their barn.
Uli

LS4 Ailerons HL Falbaum Soaring 0 February 18th 07 02:18 PM
spoilers vs. ailerons [email protected] Piloting 36 August 8th 05 11:24 AM
A-330 ailerons M General Aviation 20 March 17th 05 12:56 AM
WTB -Bonanza Ailerons HankL Aviation Marketplace 1 April 28th 04 03:28 AM
Ailerons on Laser Kelvin & Janice Rempel Aerobatics 0 October 26th 03 11:13 AM