Locking tail dolly

Old June 3rd 17, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Locking tail dolly

Harber Freight has an 8" swivel caster that can lock both rotation of the tire and also locks swivel action and it fits the standard bolt on pattern on most tail Dolly's. Bit on the heavy side at 9#, but the nylon Libelle tail wheel fits perfectly, so overall weight remains about the same. Many times it would be easier to leave the tail dolly on, just lock it to prevent any movement and on ships like the Genesis-2, leaving the tail dolly on is mandatory because the ship sits at a very high angle of attack when the tail dolly is removed and a 5 knot wind has rolled the ship into the sailplane behind it on the grid. $24.99 at Harbor Freight.
JJ
Old June 5th 17, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Interesting. I believe that this is the HF part that JJ is talking about.

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-r...ake-61836.html

Question: is a solid rubber tire, versus pneumatic, an issue for a tail dolly? I had put a solid rubber wheel on mine years ago due to a flat tire and caught all sorts of grief from nay-sayers. Something about vibration from uneven ground being transmitted into the boom with ill effect.

Thanks.

Old June 5th 17, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Monday, June 5, 2017 at 4:00:29 PM UTC+3, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
Interesting. I believe that this is the HF part that JJ is talking about..

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-r...ake-61836.html

Question: is a solid rubber tire, versus pneumatic, an issue for a tail dolly? I had put a solid rubber wheel on mine years ago due to a flat tire and caught all sorts of grief from nay-sayers. Something about vibration from uneven ground being transmitted into the boom with ill effect.

They probably have a point.

Maybe putting an appropriate length of thick walled rubber hose with suitable outside diameter inside a regular tyre would be a good compromise? I'm thinking the kind of thing they use for milking machines ("vacuum hose") might be good.
Old June 5th 17, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

On 5/06/2017 23:00, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
Interesting. I believe that this is the HF part that JJ is talking about.
https://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-r...ake-61836.html

Question: is a solid rubber tire, versus pneumatic, an issue for a tail dolly? I had put a solid rubber wheel on mine years ago due to a flat tire and caught all sorts of grief from nay-sayers. Something about vibration from uneven ground being transmitted into the boom with ill effect.

Thanks.

Polyurethane foam-filled tyres in the same size as most tail dollies are
used for the front wheels of common wheel chairs. They're quite cheap
(the $$$$ word 'aviation' doesn't appear) and work perfectly.

google will tell you your local supplier.
--
GC
Old June 5th 17, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yeah, that's the caster............I switched to Libelle tail wheel just to make it lighter. The solid tire would be fine if your crew can deal with it.
Cheers,
JJ

Ka-6 E Tail Dolly [email protected] Soaring 0 November 8th 15 04:26 PM
Tail dolly for 1-35? [email protected] Soaring 5 October 22nd 13 11:14 PM
LS1 Tail locking spring Andrew[_9_] Soaring 7 September 24th 10 02:09 AM
LS4 tail dolly Leigh Soaring 0 May 30th 08 02:02 AM
FS: ASW-24 Tail Dolly [email protected] Soaring 0 December 26th 06 02:40 PM